Forum Thread: Flash issues - again

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
taffy078 Flash issues - again
Contributor 10th Feb, 2016 16:10
Ranking: 408
User Since: 26th Feb, 2009
System Score: N/A
My older PC (Win7 now upgraded to Win10) has just been scanned by my v2 PSI, which found 14 updates.

When I turned it off, it starting downloading Win10 updates. When I returned, a rescan showed only 4 at risk programs remained. Foxit Reader, Google Chrome, Adobe Air and my old friend Adobe Flash Player 20x (NPAPI).

Flash had me hopping mad at the last Windows Updates - this is one of the locked threads https://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/15... and Maurice had to calm me down.

This Flash is in C:\\Windows|SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_20_0_0 _286.dll, version 20.0.0.286 (NPAPI)
and I need 20.0.0.306 (NPAPI)

I've just gone to the Adobe site which tells me that "Flash Player is integrated with IE in Windows 10- You do not need to install it."

I have another Flash program, the ActiveX one and there are to instances of it. They're both up to date.

Could it be that PSI is unable to get to grips with how Flash works in Win10? Or am I wrong?

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7

Post "RE: Flash issues - again" has been selected as an answer.
Anthony Wells RE: Flash issues - again
Expert Contributor 10th Feb, 2016 18:27
Score: 2542
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Hi taffy ,

Windows updater ran for me today - it is NOT controlled by the PSI - the update for IE and Edge to Flash ...306 was/is included . You will see this as your "ActiveX" files in the Flash Folder .

The NPAPI NPSFW32 files relate to Mozilla Firefox (and other gecko browsers) and need a manual update . If you go to Adobe website and look for Flash , the site replies to you accorcing to which browser you are using . If you used IE/Edge you got the reply you got . If you go in Chrome you get something similar . Go to adobe using the browser :eg: Firefox which needs ...306

All the versions are now at ...306 :-

See here :

https://helpx.adobe.com/security.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/flash-pl...

You will also need to manually update AIR to ....260

I cannot speak for your Foxit .

As far as I can see the PSI gave you correct advice but it can itself only actually update NPAPI Flash and AIR ; to avoid hassle I suggest you do those updates manually . It is a question of getting your mind around what you and or the PSI can and cannot do .

Hope that is clear enuff

Take care

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+0
taffy078 RE: Flash issues - again
Contributor 11th Feb, 2016 03:01
Score: 408
User Since: 26th Feb 2009
Hi Anthony. I updated Air & Foxit manually and uninstalled/reinstalled Chrome. I haven't got Firefox now so perhaps it's a hangover form when I had it. I've simply deleted that Flash program. Now 100% score - took 30 minutes.!

--
taffy078, West Yorkshire, UK

HP Envy Win10 PC and Compaq Presario screwed up by forced upgrade to Win10 from WIn7
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.