Forum Thread: taskbar icon grayed out

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Nikilet taskbar icon grayed out
Member 2nd Mar, 2016 08:00
Ranking: 7
User Since: 15th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
PSI icon in my taskbar is grayed out. When I open the program it shows that all programs are up to date, but it has been like this for at least a week. A couple of times when I restarted it did no show up in my taskbar at all and then another restart would bring it back, but still gray.

Maurice Joyce RE: taskbar icon grayed out
Handling Contributor 2nd Mar, 2016 20:48
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
The User Handbook states:

The Secunia icon on your taskbar will change colour depending on the security status of your system:

Grey indicates that the scan results have not been retrieved.

Green indicates that all your software is up to date.

Red indicates that you may have outdated software that requires security patching. Double-click the icon to open the Secunia PSI and then click Scan again to start a new scan and install the latest security patches.

In practice this sometimes occurs if PSI loads before a wireless connection is established.

A full rescan sometimes reinstates the green or red icon.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nikilet RE: taskbar icon grayed out
Member 3rd Mar, 2016 09:49
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
I opened PSI and it showed all programs up to date. But I clicked to scan anyway thinking I could get it back to rights by doing that. I just came back to my computer hours later and my task bar icon is still grayed out; Secunia is still showing the scan page with the gold circle in the center. Up in the top left corner it says "Secunia System Score 100%," but under the gold circle it's still "Scanning for outdated programs," and "Retrieving scanning results."
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Mar, 2016 10:22
In your case it looks like the icon colour is correct in that PSI is in a loop trying to identify your PC to give a result.

Have you checked your unique PSI User ID is correct in the registry because a result is reliant on that feature?

Maybe quicker to try a reinstall using a link from here to the PSI version you want.

https://secunia.com/support/download/

Just click the link to the version required - it will auto uninstall the old before the reinstall.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Mar, 2016 16:32
I reinstalled using the link you gave. Things worked for a couple of days and now i'm right back to the grayed-out icon in the task bar and when I tried to do a scan with psi, the next day it was still in the scan mode.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 9th Mar, 2016 22:24
Are you using a wireless connection? If so have you noticed any drop out of the connection?

If you are using wireless have you tried a hard wire connection?

Because it has worked for a while hardly unlikely to be your unique user ID but worth taking a look in the registry. The ID should be 50 random letters & numbers long. It is located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER>SOFTWARE>Secunia>PSI

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Mar, 2016 16:25
I checked that key out and everything is ok there. In addition to the key with 50 random values there are three more keys:
Default REG_SZ (value not set)
Height REG_DWORD 0x00000285 (645)
Width REG_DWORD 0x000003e8 (1000)

I've already tried reinstalling. Guess I don't know what to do from here. I've always depended on this program to help me keep things up to date so hate to lose it.

*** I just opened Secunia and it says "System score 100%" but then below there is a red circle with a white exclamation mark inside and it says I might have outdated software and the last scan was March 2, so I selected the "scan now" option and will see what happens. Will get back to this when scanning is done.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 10th Mar, 2016 17:19
The additional keys you have noted are correct so the User ID looks to be OK.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 10th Mar, 2016 19:25
Last edited on 10th Mar, 2016 21:12
After several hours, psi is STILL scanning and has made no progress according to the bar. I closed it and re-opened and whereas before I could at least open to the list, now I just get the screen again where it shows the red circle/white exclamation mark. I guess the only thing I can try is to once again un- and then reinstall it. Unless you have something else for me to try.

I am not using a wireless connection on this computer.

I uninstalled using Revo Advanced, then reinstalled version 2. So far that seems to be working, and I'm holding my breath.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.