Forum Thread: Latest version installed?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Apple
And, this specific program:
Apple QuickTime 7.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
bb_aes Latest version installed?
Member 6th Aug, 2016 16:12
Ranking: 0
User Since: 6th Aug, 2016
System Score: N/A
According to Secunia I have Quicktime ver. 7.79.80.95 and states it is "end of life". When I click on the install solution link I get a page saying it is a bad link at Apple. If I run Quicktime and check for updates it says I have the current version (7.79). Why am I getting this error from Secunia and how do I correct it?

Maurice Joyce RE: Latest version installed?
Handling Contributor 6th Aug, 2016 18:57
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Flexera are correct - Apple Quicktime is no-longer supported on any Windows platform therefore by default is End of Life.

This article from Apple refers:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201175

It may not currently be vulnerable but users will never know for certain because Apple will not report on or fix any flaws and PSI will not notify you because they do not track obsolete applications.

Only a user can make a decision on what action to take but this article offers sound advice and includes information that the application may now be vulnerable.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/04/us-cert-to-wind...

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
bb_aes RE: Latest version installed?
Member 6th Aug, 2016 20:04
Score: 0
User Since: 6th Aug 2016
Thank you Maurice for the information and the links. I was thinking Quicktime was needed for some apps, but sounds like other media players have taken over it's functions. I will remove this last version I have and see if any applications miss it in the future - and if so look for alternatives. Thank you for resolving my problem/question!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.