Forum Thread: PSI Not Opening Edge as Default Browser

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
ManFromOz PSI Not Opening Edge as Default Browser
Member 15th Aug, 2016 06:08
Ranking: 17
User Since: 6th Jun, 2012
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 15th Aug, 2016 06:15

I've always had IE 11 as my default browser in Windows 10 (64-bit) but thought I'd change that too Microsoft Edge. After making Edge the default all other programs happily use Edge, except PSI (2.0.0.4003) which still uses IE.

I have found these instructions but they don't really help for Edge, and I don't really feel comfortable editing the Registry.

http://secunia.com/support/psi/faq#q3

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

PS: It's good to see this forum is at least useable again. :)

Post "RE: PSI Not Opening Edge as Default Browser" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI Not Opening Edge as Default Browser
Handling Contributor 16th Aug, 2016 08:21
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 16th Aug, 2016 08:32
I would not advise you edit the registry on the information given in the FAQ - they are woefully out of date and like anything on the old Secunia website totally unreliable. When you change your default browser from IE to Edge it does not change the registry key by design. As you noted in the FAQ PSI is reliant on this key to tell which browser is the default for any given PC.

It is highly unlikely Flexera will do much about it with PSI version 2 because the last time I saw reference to it on the website it was deemed to be in Legacy Support - not exactly sure what that means but I assume that no more enhancements will be made.

I have tested whether Edge works with version 3 and it seems OK. Can you explain exactly what function does not work for you and I will try to help with some tests on both version 2 and 3.

EDIT
It will be helpful if you could state which supported version of Windows 10 you are using - RTM or 1511 or 1607.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ManFromOz RE: PSI Not Opening Edge as Default Browser
Member 16th Aug, 2016 13:55
Score: 17
User Since: 6th Jun 2012
Hello Maurice, I hope you are well?

Interestingly, I installed Win10 (1607) fresh on one computer and made no changes to default programs, installed PSI 2.0.0.4003 and found PSI STILL uses IE 11 as the default browser.

With PSI 2 open, click the "How secure is your PC compared to users from (insert your details here) NSW, Australia" link to reproduce.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI Not Opening Edge as Default Browser
Handling Contributor 17th Aug, 2016 23:26
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I am fine thank you.

I have tried your link and agree IE is being used. As explained this is because PSI reads the registry to check what default browser is being used.

If you switch browsers from IE to Edge or vice versa it does not change the registry key PSI uses.As far as I know Flexera have stopped all work on version 2 so it is unlikely they will work on the issue.

The outdated FAQs do not cover anything Windows 10 and is not really a source of accurate help for any supported version of Windows.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ManFromOz RE: PSI Not Opening Edge as Default Browser
Member 18th Aug, 2016 01:05
Score: 17
User Since: 6th Jun 2012
Thanks Maurice,

As mentioned, even with a clean install of Windows 10 PSI still uses IE so it doesn't recognise Edge as the default browser. Oh well, I won't lose sleep over it. I don't click links in PSI often and always update my programs, even usually submit the new versions, before PSI prompts to download the new patched programs anyway.

PS: I had subscribed to this thread but never received any emails for your replies.

Cheers!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.