Forum Thread: UAC

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Theophil UAC
Member 19th Aug, 2016 11:44
Ranking: 0
User Since: 24th Apr, 2011
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 19th Aug, 2016 12:14

Hi,

lately (I believe after I had upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10) I experience a strange behaviour of my Secunia PSI 3.0.0.7011. (Presently I am running Windows 10 Version 1607.)
Although PSI according to Task Manager should be running (confirmed by Windows Services) it does not show up in the bottom line (right hand side) of my display (sorry I have a problem with the English terms). There it should be seen as I have taken care of those settings, my other programs do show up there as I had chosen.
When I then go to All Programs and click PSI UAC pops up asking for permission respective PSI. Agreed to that the PSI icon immediately pops up and tells me that everything is fine and - of course - the respective green icon is displayed and remains there - until after reboot when the icon again is missing.
In Windows Services PSI is set to automatic and shows running before I have intervened.
Sorry it seems to be minor issue which possibly could be neglected but nevertheless to me it is nerve-racking...
Your assistance would be highly appreciated.
Thank you and kindest regards

--
Windows 10, Version 1703; 64 Bit; Intel i7; RAM 16 GB

puget1 RE: UAC
Member 19th Aug, 2016 20:47
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Note: The simplest fix I would do a clean uninstall of the version you are running and reinstall with PSI 3.0.0.1105. This latest updated version resolved a lot of issues with windows 10 64bti. Hope this helps

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Theophil RE: UAC
Member 19th Aug, 2016 23:32
Score: 0
User Since: 24th Apr 2011
Thank you so much - I would do that right away - but please teach me: How do I perform a "clean uninstall"?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

puget1

RE: UAC
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Maurice Joyce RE: UAC
Handling Contributor 20th Aug, 2016 10:29
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 20th Aug, 2016 10:32
To update to the latest version all you need to do is click the download link on the Flexera website and let it run. It will auto uninstall the old version before updating to the latest.

The link to activate the procedure is here: http://learn.flexerasoftware.com/SVM-EVAL-Personal...

The need to enter the registry is TOTALLY UNNECCESSARY and should be avoided unless you have serious stability problems when you should seek expert advice.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 20th Aug, 2016 11:14
Thank you so much for your assistance!
In the meantime I had already uninstalled the old version by "add and remove" without interfering with registry - I have understood that in future it is sufficient just to install the new version over the previous one. - By the way, any chance to be informed automatically about a new version?
Yes, the settings in my task bar are fine I have added the icons of my favourite programs to show up permanently.
So the new Version has been installed.
Everything seems to be fine even after reboot.

Great forum!!!

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: UAC
Handling Contributor 20th Aug, 2016 18:19
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
You will note from this page https://secunia.com/support/psi/release-history/ that in 2014 PSI was updated which introduced automatic upgrading.I do not use PSI on a regular basis so have no idea if it works or exactly what it does if you activate the feature in settings.

Enhancements to PSI are few and far between so perhaps the easier options is to visit the release history page I have highlighted for information.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 20th Aug, 2016 18:41
Thank you,

Maurice,

I have immediately opted for automatic upgrading - too curious to see what happens...

Kindest regards
and
have a nice weekend

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.