Forum Thread: MS XML Core Service update

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Ethelred MS XML Core Service update
Member 28th Aug, 2016 19:16
Ranking:
User Since: 16th Apr, 2015
System Score: N/A
After upgrading to Windows 10 awhile ago I keep getting notification to manually update Microsoft Core Services (MSXML) 4.x. I found a closed thread on this which didn't seem to be resolved very satisfactorily.I gather it is a redundant version. Can anyone advise a solution or is it just an anomaly I need to put up with ?

Maurice Joyce

RE: MS XML Core Service update
[+]
This reply has been deleted
Maurice Joyce RE: MS XML Core Service update
Handling Contributor 29th Aug, 2016 01:13
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Which version of MSXML 4 have you got installed?

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Ethelred RE: MS XML Core Service update
Member 29th Aug, 2016 12:46
Score:
User Since: 16th Apr 2015
Hi,thanks for your prompt response. It is listed in my programmes as MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser Version 4.30.2100.0. (Not sure where to find actual file location)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Aug, 2016 17:33
Last edited on 29th Aug, 2016 17:36
That is the last version of MSXML 4 that Microsoft issued. It is, and has been, End of Life (EOL) for a very long time.

It was replaced by MSXML 6 many years ago - Windows 10 has MSXML 6 and MSXML 3 as standard which is automatically updated via Windows Update so taking any notice of the advice offered by PSI is pointless.

I am not sure which thread you looked to give the idea that it should/could possibly be treated as an anomaly.

MSXML 4 was never designed to be used by Windows 10 and is no longer supported on any Windows OS.

It has been installed on your PC by you in support of a very very old programme that requires it to work. Any idea what that programme is?

Knowing that it is no-longer supported and no-one knows whether it is now vulnerable you have a few choices.

Take a risk and continue to run it on Windows 10 by creating an ignore rule.

Rename the file that PSI is showing you as EOL with an extension like .OLD and see which very old programme it breaks.

Uninstall everything relating to MSXML 4 - this is the recommended option but it will break the programme it supports which can then also be deleted.

Whatever action you decide on please ensure you do not alter or uninstall MSXML 3 or 6 by mistake.

Current supported versions of MSXML on Windows 10 version 1607 are:

MSXML 3 - 8.110.14393.0
MSXML 6 - 6.30.14393.0

Hope this helps.

EDIT - if you want help finding where the file is I need to know which version of PSI you are using.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 29th Aug, 2016 19:00
Score:
Thanks for your comprehensive explanation. 'Anomaly' was probably the wrong word to choose. I spent some time awhile ago reading through a closed thread on this topic and rather than revisiting it I just summed up the various info under 'anomaly'.

The background to my ending up with the MSXML 4.0 issue is that I bought a new PC with Windows 8.1 installed and then upgraded to Windows 10 immediately to take advantage of the free upgrade.I may have missed the final update for MSXML 4.0 SP3 in the process. The upgrade to Windows 10 did not run smoothly, initially, mainly due to me not installing all the Windows 10 updates. I have no idea what programme is using the old MSXML 4.0, as I say, I went from Windows 8.1 to upgrade immediately. It must have been some programme installed with Windows 8.1.

I only became aware of the possible security vulnerability after I had successfully installed Windows 10 and then downloaded Secunia PSI which started flagging up MSXML 4.

Of course I would prefer to remove any vulnerability, however, having looked at various posts I was not sure whether it was safe to uninstall MSXML Version 4 SP3. There also seemed to be various components and updates that needed to be removed as well ? I am not very tech savvy and just need a straightforward solution if possible.

I am using Secunia PSI version 3.0.0.11005

How do I go about making sure I remove everything related to MSXML 4.0 ?

I am conscious of the need to avoid altering or uninstalling MSXML 3 or 6

I would appreciate further guidance

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 29th Aug, 2016 21:02
MSXML 4 is not part of Windows so you are not going to do any harm to the OS. It will just break the very old programme it supports.

MSXML 3 and MSXML 6 are hidden away in the System Folder so unless you follow the trail given by PSI and deliberately right click on their dll files and select delete there is no chance of uninstalling them in error.

MSXML 4 should be in Programs & Features. If you go there and uninstall anything clearly marked MSXML 4 it is perfectly safe.

If in any doubt make a note of exactly what you think requires to be uninstalled and post it back here so that I can guide you further.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 29th Aug, 2016 21:17
Score:
OK, thanks for your help and advice.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 31st Aug, 2016 09:32
Is the problem fixed or do you require more assistance?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 31st Aug, 2016 11:43
Score:
Hi,
Thanks for your follow up. I haven't made a final decision to remove MSXML 4.0 SP3 parser as I just wanted to check out the issue with Microsoft community on the Windows 10 forums. I did so because I read a couple of posts related to the removal of legacy programmes which included MSXML 4.0 and the advice was not to remove them as they could affect the OS.I needed to check this out before going ahead and removing the programme.

I have received a reply from a support engineer after posting in the Updates forum ( wasn't sure where to post)however it did not really answer my question as I basically asked if it was safe to remove MSXML 4.0 , explaining the context. I replied stating my basic question again and seeking clarification and further guidance. I am still awaiting a reply.

I am however fairly convinced that your suggestion to remove the programme entirely is the best solution. As I am not very tech savvie and do not want to create further problems I just have these nagging doubts about uninstalling the programme.

I noticed that that I have 2 files (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msxml4.dll) related to this pogramme both date modified 2009. These must have been installed with Windows 8.1 for some reason

So just waiting to see if I receive a response to my reply to MS Community thread.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.