Forum Thread: correct Services settings?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
2harts4ever correct Services settings?
Member 17th Feb, 2017 15:19
Ranking: 2
User Since: 4th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Good morning,

I have been messing around with the Secunia Start-up settings in Services since PSI started having loading problems and now I am not really sure what the correct ones are.

Right now I have 'Secunia PSI Agent' set on 'Manual' and "Secunia Update Agent' set on 'Automatic'.

Are these two set correctly?

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

--
" ...Nuff Said. Keep Smiling Because I'm Smiling Too!"

Maurice Joyce RE: correct Services settings?
Handling Contributor 17th Feb, 2017 15:47
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
They are not the recommended setting. See the required settings as per the FAQ. https://secuniaresearch.flexerasoftware.com/suppor...

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
2harts4ever RE: correct Services settings?
Member 17th Feb, 2017 19:22
Score: 2
User Since: 4th Dec 2008
Hi Maurice,

Thanks for the link. It was very informative.

However, I tried running another scan a few hours ago and it loaded but very slow. Once the scan was complete it showed I had two programs to update and it sat on both of those programs for 2 hours before my wife kicked me and Secunia off the computer so she could get on.

My question after reading some of the other recent posts regarding problems with PSI 3.0 is: The programs not updating are (1) Adobe Flash Player 24.x (ActiveX) and (2) Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package (64bit). Is this because I use the Edge Browser as my default browser on my Windows 10 instead of Internet Explorer?

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 17th Feb, 2017 21:53
Last edited on 17th Feb, 2017 21:55
I assume that both settings are now at automatic. Please note that the UPDATE agent will not appear in Services if you elect to change the PSI setting to ban auto updating.

Despite what Flexera Support have stated on this Forum their still appear to have issues with their servers. The Forum and navigating Flexera web pages are dreadfully slow. There also appears to be ongoing issues for some users wishing to use PSI 3.

PSI will not update anything Microsoft either automatically or manually. The manual option should take you to Windows Update.

The PSI misleading advice on updating the embedded Flash Player for IE and Edge in Windows 8 & 10 should be TOTALLY IGNORED. It is a bug that Flexera has failed to fix. The updating of both of these OS's is the sole responsibility of Microsoft via Windows Update. On current planning Microsoft intend updating on March 14th. If the unexplained delay for updating concerns you then switching Flash off in Edge & IE will help. This is my normal default set up.

Have you tried a manual Windows Update to see if Visual C++ is being offered?

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 17th Feb, 2017 23:30
Hi Maurice,

Microsoft Visual C++ updated the last time I checked and to the best of my knowledge I had NOTHING to do with it....lol

I understand from your response and other posts why the Adobe update won't download but the PSI 3.0 program is still sluggish (slow loading). But, if the Marine Corps didn't teach me anything else, it taught me patience ...lol

As I told you before I haven't used IE for several months since I installed Windows 10 and went to Edge.

I went ahead and disabled Flash in Edge as you suggested but when I went to IE to try disabling it I couldn't even access my add-ons. I don't know if this is because I never use IE or because trying to update IE brings up the error: "can not find 'wuapp.exe'.

My Windows 10 update program seems to be working fine. The last one I installed was: (Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3211320))on Jan. 25.

So, for the time being I will just sit tight and wait for Microsoft to continue their updates after this delay this month.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Feb, 2017 10:14
Not sure how you tried to disable Flash in IE.

Try this:

Open IE
Click on Tools
From the drop down Box select and click on Active X Filtering

That will put a tick (check mark) to the left of Active X filtering which means Flash is disabled.

If in the future something demands Flash to be active in either Edge or IE a misleading message will appear telling you to install Flash - all you do is to reverse the closure procedure.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Feb, 2017 11:35
Morning Maurice,

I opened IE and looked under 'Tools' but couldn't find 'Active X Filtering' so I clicked on 'Safety' and it was located under it.

I tried running Secunia PSI 3.0 with that feature 'ticked' and then 'unticked' and Secunia loaded and ran as it is designed to do both with Active X Filtering enabled or disabled.

So, all seems to be back to normal except not being able to update 'Adobe Flash Player 24.x (ActiveX). Hopefully when Microsoft does release their next updates that will be able to be updated too.

Thanks and regards,
2harts4ever

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 18th Feb, 2017 15:26
PSI does not require Flash to work - it will scan and report on Flash whether it is enabled or disabled.

Have a nice weekend.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.