Forum Thread: PS3 missing PS2 features

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
millwood PS3 missing PS2 features
Member 17th Mar, 2017 17:41
Ranking: 18
User Since: 14th May, 2008
System Score: N/A
I though we might list the things from PS2 we miss most in PS3 in the hope someone will listen. Please no flames - just short indication of feature and why you need it. To get started:

Ignore directory feature - I have a copy of my previous computers drive in a directory on my current drive - it's full of out of date stuff of course - so I need to ignore it.

Zorkoff RE: PS3 missing PS2 features
Member 19th Mar, 2017 18:35
Score: 16
User Since: 6th Jan 2010
OK, Here are some things that I cannot find in PSI-3

1. How do I tell when the next scan is scheduled for? PSI-2 tells me. Actually, I am assuming that scans occur periodically, but I have not seen a repeat scan yet.

2. PSI-2 gave me a bar graph showing my update history. This is missing in PSI-3.

3. PSI-2 gave me a way to re-scan a single application after an update. I don't see how to do this with PSI-3.

4. PSI-2 gave me control over the settings. I find the PSI-3 popup sorely lacking.

5. The PSI-3 UI is so minimalistic, I feel like I am unable to control the program. PSI-2 is way more user friendly.

This should be enough to start....
Was this reply relevant?
+4
throkr. RE: PS3 missing PS2 features
Contributor 19th Mar, 2017 20:14
Score: 139
User Since: 22nd Nov 2009
Last edited on 19th Mar, 2017 20:29
@Zorkoff

1. PSI will execute a scan automatically 7 days after the last full scan (see here : https://secuniaresearch.flexerasoftware.com/commun...)

3. I do totally agree with you : scanning an individual item was a very useful feature which is missing in version 3

5. I also agree with this : version 2 had a more complete and user friendly UI (as an example : now you can only ignore a program from the list whilst PSI2 lets you create a complete new ignore rule (for a folder)).

Like many other users, I'm very sad too that version 2 is being discontinued but as long as version 3 is working as it should, I can deal with it as PSI is really an excellent software. And, at the moment, there is no FREE alternative ...

--
Win 10 Pro x64

Malwarebytes Premium - Windows Defender - SAS Pro - Flexera PSI
Cyberfox (x64) - Waterfox (x64) - SRWare Iron (x64)

- All current versions & updates -
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Contributor 20th Mar, 2017 19:31
Last edited on 20th Mar, 2017 19:33
In addition to my previous post, however PSI3 is now working fine here, I find it much less reactive than version 2.
It takes quite a long time to open the main UI. Also, as the service(s) is (are) set to "Delayed Start", the systray icon remains grey for quite a long time after logging in (changes to green when service starts). Personally, I have changed the service to "Automatic" (without delayed start) and that really makes a difference (I have only 1 service running -Secunia PSI Agent- as I'm not using the auto-update feature). I never had to do this using version 2 ...

--
Win 10 Pro x64

Was this reply relevant?
+1
paradice RE: PS3 missing PS2 features
Member 22nd Mar, 2017 01:20
Score:
User Since: 30th Jun 2011
Last edited on 22nd Mar, 2017 01:20
@throkr.

so is there a paid alternative???

V3 hasn't improved since it first came out. All the issues mentioned above: speed, simplicity, user control (I really HATE auto-anything when it comes to computers, because invariably I have something the auto- doesn't like).
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Contributor 22nd Mar, 2017 04:50
on 22nd Mar, 2017 01:20, paradice wrote:
@throkr.

so is there a paid alternative???

I don't think so; I just wanted to insist again on the fact that this excellent software is proposed since years for free ...
But version 3 should certainly be improved as well as the browsing to and on the present forum : it's just horrible !

--
Win 10 Pro x64

Was this reply relevant?
+1
100PIER RE: PS3 missing PS2 features
Member 23rd Mar, 2017 10:31
Score: 2
User Since: 15th Feb 2017
Last edited on 23rd Mar, 2017 10:35
I agree totally with the reported problem of 'downgraded' features of PSI3 vs PSI2.
Why Flexera does suggest PSI2 becomes obsolete on 31th March 2017 observing that PSI3 does offer less than PSI2 ?
Moreover PSI2 is more quicker than PSI3 (we have to wait for more than 8 minutes to get a scan result, 30 s only with PSI2).
Moreover to get PSI3 working you have to modify a very sensitive O&OShutUp 10 parameter to let Windows Update thru Application allowed !!.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.