Forum Thread: Doesn't load

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
walkergeoff Doesn't load
Member 22nd Mar, 2017 18:25
Ranking:
User Since: 21st Feb, 2008
System Score: N/A
I have been a happy user of PSI 2 for many years and I decided to update as the support for PSI 2.0 has expired.

However, despite all I do I cannot get it to load. I have followed advice from the support section of this website to no avail.

I have informed the Firewall that it is safe to let PSI have access but it makes no difference.

From what I can gather from Google searches my problem is not uncommon.

Are there any plans to make v 3.0 actually work?

Regards

Geoff

enigma_john RE: Doesn't load
Member 23rd Mar, 2017 09:59
Score: 0
User Since: 19th Feb 2017
Hey! I'm also interested about respond to this topic.

--
To want to, is to be able to.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
bhenshaw RE: Doesn't load
Member 26th Mar, 2017 00:02
Score: 40
User Since: 29th Apr 2009
Won't load for me either. Just installed 3.0 and it just sits on LOADING... forever.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
dmilligan1 RE: Doesn't load
Member 29th Mar, 2017 03:35
Score: 6
User Since: 18th Dec 2016
Last edited on 29th Mar, 2017 03:38
I had to guess, I would say that it's not the client application itself that's failing but rather it's a server or connectivity issue. I say this because I actually uninstalled Version 2.0 and installed Version 3.0 several months ago on my Windows 10 desktop because Version 2.0 suddenly stopped working. At that time Version 3.0 worked just fine, but as others have noted it can't hold a candle to Version 2.0.

However I did not uninstall Version 2.0 on my Windows 7 laptop and it even started working again - I chalked it up to a temporary server outage. So I went back to Version 2.0 on my Windows 10 desktop. My primary point is that this current version worked just fine on Windows 10 desktop several months ago, but today it doesn't work properly. I'm experiencing the same issues that others are experiencing:

After the initial install the system scan progresses to what looks like 98% and then hangs. And after closing the app and relaunching, it hangs on the splash screen loading...

I will be installing both versions from my computers and my daughter's laptop and be done with it. Hopefully I will come across another product that will serve as a satisfactory replacement.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
ENAR RE: Doesn't load
Member 29th Mar, 2017 11:02
User Since: 19th Feb 2008
I am having the same problem. PSI 2 worked perfectly, and with it being discontinued, I had to update to Version 3; I have tried to install it twice, and let it run. It simply stays locked on the useless "Loading" screen.

Does anyone have an answer? I am using it on Win 7x64 with plenty of memory, and connection to the web.

Any help would be appreciated.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Doesn't load
Member 31st Mar, 2017 21:39
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
I do not know what you are using for security and or any privacy customization's. This is what worked for me. I uninstalled everything and only allowed Window's Defender as a bare bones security. I then uninstalled psi. I then down loaded the new version 3.0 from Secunia server's and installed it. I ran it. Secunia servers now advise if you have established connection with their serves. If so then run your scans. It should work. You can then add back your chosen security and customization's making sure that psi is working. A quick check is to untick in "settings" then re-tick a setting and you should get "trying to connect to secunia servers" it should be o.k. from that point if the connection is true. Connection to the web is what threw me it does not mean that you don't have web connection but that your not connected to secunia servers. See following 1.https://secuniaresearch.flexerasoftware.com/commun... 2. BE sure of the following
To function correctly the Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia's servers. If you experience any issues where the Secunia PSI cannot complete scanning or where the interface will not load and show you the detected programs, then please do the following.
1. Open the control panel.
2. Open Internet Options > Security tab. In Windows7/Vista you may need to click Network and Internet to access the Internet Options.
3. Select the Internet zone and click Custom Level.
4. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting > Active Scripting option.
5. Make sure that Active Scripting is enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
6. Click OK then Yes.
7. Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted Sites zone and click Sites.
8. Type in the following and click Add to add it to the Trusted Sites list: https://*.secunia.com.
9. Click Close then OK.
10. Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results.

Be advised 3,0 is working fine since doing the above instruction. Marlwarebytes picked up on psi file and allowed the exclusion.

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+3
walkergeoff RE: Doesn't load
Member 31st Mar, 2017 21:57
Score:
User Since: 21st Feb 2008
Thanks. That worked. I had to remove AVG and Glasswire and make those security changes.

Thanks a million.

Geoff
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 31st Mar, 2017 22:03
Score:
Cool!!!

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
mrgames2 puget1
Member 31st Mar, 2017 22:19
Score: 37
User Since: 27th Jun 2009
or it could just be the servers are operating faster now....

Me? I'm done with this company. Let them collect their data from n00b's.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Member 1st Apr, 2017 05:21
Although I'm still disappointed with the demise of PSI 2.0, but I suppose PSI 3.0 is better nothing or anything else that's out there. Adding https://*.secunia.com as a trusted site worked on both my Windows 7 (64 bit) & Windows 10 (64 bit) computers. It was as simple as that. I didn't need to uninstall my antivirus or firewall software or any software.

Thanks for the tip!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 1st Apr, 2017 05:56
Score:
Last edited on 1st Apr, 2017 05:59
I think you'll find over time that most errors occur do to permissions with antivirus's,malware scanners and fire walls. For the most part Secunia is stable and most errors occur at the user end. Was the test that I advised proven with the dialogue box from Secunia?

Possible other causes in Windows 10, now that it has full time Windows defender protection, is whether the security center is doing its job in shutting down with other private security items i.e. running two AV's at the same time, but you should get a dialogue box from windows defender

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
David12846518 RE: Doesn't load
Member 1st Apr, 2017 06:37
Score: 17
User Since: 19th Feb 2012
on 31st Mar, 2017 21:39, puget1 wrote:
I uninstalled everything and only allowed Window's Defender as a bare bones security. I then uninstalled psi. I then down loaded the new version 3.0 from Secunia server's and installed it.

I'm getting the "Loading" message on a newly installed Version 3. I hope I do not have to uninstall "everything" in order to get Version 3 working. I'm not about to go that route even if I have to uninstall just my security software. THAT is too much of a headache. If that is the only solution, I'll remove Version 3 and find something different. I'll look on Secunia's website and see if they have a different solution to this problem.

When I install other programs, my firewall automatically detects good and bad connections and lets me decide what to do about the bad connections. It also detects strange behavior when an unrelated process or program is running. My security programs automatically detect good and bad behavior with an option to allow the bad behavior to continue one time or multiple times. If PSI can not play well with security defenses, something is wrong with the behavior of PSI.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 1st Apr, 2017 06:50
Score:
@David12846518

Suit yourself, I don't know if you have any idea of programming but to try and do what Secunia does is very difficult. There are multiple suggestions as to how to get Secunia working with in this thread. Hopefully you'll find what permissions you haven't made.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+1
86Redbird RE: Doesn't load
Member 1st Apr, 2017 07:53
Score: 3
User Since: 21st Aug 2009
Try RIGHT CLICK on program Secunia PSI; then RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

--
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
Service Pack 1
AMD Athlon II X2 250
IE 11
8 GB Ram
Secunia PSI 3.0 v 3.0.0.11005

Was this reply relevant?
+3
ENAR RE: Doesn't load
Member 1st Apr, 2017 08:24
User Since: 19th Feb 2008
Thank you!

I often find it helpful to copy instructions such as yours, and paste them into a Word document that I then organize into Outline format. It gives me a way to more thoroughly understand and remember the sequence of steps/

It worked perfectly in my case. I guess the key instruction was to disable my installation of Kaspersky Internet Security that includes antivirus.

I checked the settings in the Internet connection area, and it was okay, and I did add the Internet address to the approved list.

I re-installed Secunia successfully, and while it was initially slow starting up, the icon showing that it was running did mention the need for some manual updates needed. When I tried to open the primary interface for Secunia, it came up, after a tolerable delay, and showed the awful Version 3 interface that we are all stuck with. I changed the display setting to Detailed Listing.

I re-activated Kaspersky, and rebooted, and again, with a modest delay, Secunia's icon showed, and the interface appeared when I clicked on the icon's option.

I've had to reboot quite a number of times for other reasons, and Secunia has started without difficulty.

All of this was done on a Win7x64 installation, and I'll soon try it on another machine. Later, I'll try it on some other OS's.

Many thanks for your working out these installation workarounds that never existed with Secunia 2.x.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

L1NGUS

RE: Doesn't load
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.

L1NGUS

[+]
This reply has been deleted
Maurice Joyce RE: Doesn't load
Handling Contributor 1st Apr, 2017 13:43
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
More details about PSI.
The information you have been given is merely an abridged copy from the FAQ here: https://secuniaresearch.flexerasoftware.com/suppor... but the poster did not use the permalink to publish it.

Although parts of the FAQ no longer apply to a modern OS they are well worth reading before making any changes to your individual settings. If you want to bookmark the full FAQ use this link:
https://secuniaresearch.flexerasoftware.com//suppo...

This is another bookmark you may wish keep on system requirements:
https://secuniaresearch.flexerasoftware.com/suppor...

Once you open PSI on the bottom right of the opening page you will see Need help? Click that to reveal more information, some of which requires updating, but in its current form may prove useful to some who cannot get PSI running or need more information.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
David12846518 RE: Doesn't load
Member 1st Apr, 2017 16:41
Score: 17
User Since: 19th Feb 2012
on 1st Apr, 2017 06:50, puget1 wrote:
@David12846518

Suit yourself, I don't know if you have any idea of programming but to try and do what Secunia does is very difficult. There are multiple suggestions as to how to get Secunia working with in this thread. Hopefully you'll find what permissions you haven't made.

I jumped the gun. It's been hectic at home these last few days. I closed PSI after about 30 minutes of the "Loading" message. A few minutes later I opened PSI again and scan results appeared quickly. No permissions needed to be set in my security programs.

As for programming, my 8 hr work day is devoted to keeping an Oracle database humming along. 15 years ago I designed Oracle input applications for Civil Engineers. I built my applications with a lot of behind the scenes verification of data input and an <F1> key-press to display a screen full of help for the current field. My Supervisor built his with minimal data verification and no field help. Over the years my applications needed minimal tweaking; his needed a lot of re-coding. For example, he never tested data values for a permissible ranges of values... like the weight of Soil Material had to be greater than 0 (or equal to or greater than the weight of the tare).

PSI is a free product. If it was a paid product perhaps more bells and whistles would be included. Since scan results appeared quickly the second time I opened PSI, the initial opening of the program apparently did a scan when it only said "Loading". I expected the first time PSI opened, the program would load quickly (with no scan results) and ask me to do an initial scan or set other options first.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 1st Apr, 2017 18:02
Score:
Hey it's all good. I like the app. and have stuck with it since when. What I suggested worked in my particular case when all I was getting was a ton of dialogue boxes suggesting all types of problems. I was using most of the known fixes that were known through the different builds to no avail.. Hope you'll stick with 3.0 even though it is not as popular with most users.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Apr, 2017 18:55
Score:
I did put the Secunia site as a trusted site but, for me, it needed the deletions I mentioned. I guess all systems are a bit different.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Apr, 2017 20:37
Score:
@walkergeoff

I don't know about AVG being the cause as much as Glasswire being a second firewall. Here is a replacement for Glasswire. http://www.fayetracker.com/index.php?lang=en it acts in much the same as watching traffic but with a few tweaks without the firewall effect.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Apr, 2017 21:12
Day 2: After waking my Win 7 (64 bit) laptop from hibernation, the systray icon was gray and I got a popup asking me to make sure I had an Internet connection, which of course I did because all other apps were sending/receiving data.

I launched PSI 3.0 and it loaded as usual, so I did a manual scan and shortly after the scan finished the systray icon returned to green. So the app still appears to be a bit flaky, and quiet honestly one should not have to jump through a series of hoops, i.e. uninstalling software and adding a trusted site entry, to get the app to work properly.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Mcd73165 RE: Doesn't load
Member 1st Apr, 2017 23:45
Score: 8
User Since: 13th May 2009
I inadvertently marked my original thread PSI 2.0 and 3.0 Won't Load as locked. I wanted to add that the fix of adding https://*.secunia.com. to Internet Options Security Trusted Sites worked for the latest version of PSI as was mentioned in the Doesn't Load thread. Thanks to those that responded to my original thread and for the fix suggested in this thread. I installed SUMo as a substitute for PSI (when I couldn't get PSI to load) which I'll keep in case of any future issues with PSI.
Thanks, Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 2nd Apr, 2017 09:39
Score:
Thanks for the comment.

I am now using the Windows Firewall and that seems to be OK.

I will try your sugggestion and see how it works.
Was this reply relevant?
+1

puget1

[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Member 3rd Apr, 2017 02:58
Day 3: PSI 3.0 icon still displays as gray in my Windows 7 (64-bit) systray after waking from hibernation. Launching PSI doesn't turn the icon green even though the splash screen says my applications are 100% up-to-date. If I run a manual scan, the icon will return to green when the scan is completed.

I also discovered similar behavior on restart - systray icon displays as gray, however it returned to green after launching PSI. After searching the Internet for potential solutions, I came across a suggested alternative - Heimdal. So I decided to give it a try - the free version. After the initial install it immediately detected that Adobe Air & Skype required an update and proceeded to auto update both applications.

So I find it interesting that PSI 3.0 or 2.0 never detected that these applications were out-of-date. Combining all of this with the lack of technical support I am done with Secunia PSI! I will check their site periodically for an updated version, which I may give a try or check the forum to see if the bugs have been eliminated. But for the present, it's apparent that PSI 3.0 is pretty much useless.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 3rd Apr, 2017 05:00
Score:
@dmilligan1

p.c. stands for personal computer,therefore it is "your" computer. However, one great thing about PSI is the forum and the lead people trying to find solutions for problems and helping everything from novices to computer science people find solutions. Plus the benefit of exchanging information about other software. I looked up your suggestion and I am only running two p.c.'s at this time. I will probably uninstall PSI on one and run a comparison utilizing your information. One thing about PSI, it does keep one informed and may be the only app. to update with W.S.U.S (Windows Server Update Services) The new updater you have suggested has no mention of this and may only be a software updater. Luck

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Apr, 2017 09:41
puget1

I am on a very very steep learning curve. Are you telling us that Flexera PSI users have the benefits of WSUS? I am not aware that PSI has any ability to update anything using it.

Given that you have stated that Heimdal, which I have reported on elsewhere on the Forum, has not mentioned WSUS where can I find the information on its use by PSI on any Flexera web documentation?

dmilligan1

This is an extract from another thread to answer a question from a forum member about my testing of Heimdal. I am reporting on the paid for version rather than the limitations imposed on the freebie which may well remove some of the options I disliked. If so you are on a winner to replace the dreadful PSI and its non existent professional support.

"Mister P

Nice to hear from you. A fairly long time ago I was indeed given a free licence to use and comment on the development of Heimdal. It was in its infancy at that stage and I enjoyed using it. To that end I purchased a second years licence which I considered at the time to be expensive. A new version was released which I did not like. It basically wanted to automate everything and I did not feel I understood or had full control on what it was allegedly doing. After more enhancements it started to interfere with my mainstream security suite so I dumped it. I have not used it for over a year but from my experience of it I would not recommend it as a replacement for PSI . Customer service was superb and I am sure they would be delighted to answer any questions from potential users"

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mcd73165 RE: Doesn't load
Member 3rd Apr, 2017 14:12
Score: 8
User Since: 13th May 2009
Thanks for the link to FilePuma.
Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2017 18:25
Score:
Last edited on 3rd Apr, 2017 18:30
@Maurice Joyce

It was my understanding that PSI has that ability to keep one up to date with W.S.U.S.(other threads in past) Although, it may not actually do an auto update. It still advises one of potential vulnerabilities and thus the need to be in communication with MS update. If mistaken, I stand corrected. Right now,I am much more concerned about this Net Frame work 2x and how to resolve it. According to my other p.c. it only recognizes Net Framework 3.x and 4.x.. If it is E.O.L. then one should be able to remove it with no effect IF YOU DARE!!!. The program file does have uninstallers but fail to I.D. the exact files to coincide with the vulnerability. Hopeing MS is about to release a major build upgrade for 10. Again,as possible defense of PSI is their ability to be informed with MS and other vendors. MS isn't always the perfect jewel.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Bichon RE: Doesn't load
Member 3rd Apr, 2017 19:03
Score: 24
User Since: 12th Jun 2010
Last edited on 3rd Apr, 2017 19:09
I think Puget1 is confused about WSUS integration features that were added to Secunia CSI, not PSI.

WSUS is all about giving system administrators the ability to centrally manage Microsoft patches in their enterprise, usually so that they can test updates in their environment prior to deployment. I've never heard of anyone using WSUS on computers that aren't members of a corporate AD domain, nor do I see the benefit in doing so.

Was this reply relevant?
+20
Member 3rd Apr, 2017 19:34
Score:
@Bichon

You are right, correction acknowledged. It was about the time of CSI being established.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0

Maurice Joyce

[+]

Maurice Joyce

[+]

Maurice Joyce

[+]
Handling Contributor 3rd Apr, 2017 21:48
Last edited on 3rd Apr, 2017 21:50
You are also very confused on what PSI actual does in regard to Microsoft.

Details on the PSI technical data sheet are extant:

https://secuniaresearch.flexerasoftware.com/?actio...

which clearly states

"Download, install, scan - and stay secure!
The Secunia PSI is a free security scanner that identifies vulnerabilities in 3rd party (non-Microsoft programs, which can expose PCs to attacks. It simplifies and automates the updating of the majority of these programs, making it a lot easier to maintain a secure PC".

Anytime I have seen Flexera trying to get involved in Microsoft business they have made a pigs ear of it - MSXML 4 - Microsoft Money and now .NET Framework by the look of it on another thread. Thank goodness they are not involved in updating anything Microsoft!!

The creator update for Windows 10 will be released on the 11th April -
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/upcoming-fe...

Sorry about the post deletions - the forum stopped accepting hyperlinks for a while.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2

puget1

[+]
Member 3rd Apr, 2017 22:44
Score:
Thank-you and based upon the new build we will no longer need to bothered with Psi or any other updater or this forum. I too have also decided to rid myself of conflict.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.