Forum Thread: SPI-2: Alternatives?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
mmo SPI-2: Alternatives?
Member 25th Mar, 2017 18:50
Ranking: -3
User Since: 28th Apr, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 25th Mar, 2017 18:51

I am one of these die-hard users of SPI v2 (I also reverted to v2 back then after having tried out the "dummyfied" and frequently non-functional v3 and then kept using v2 over the last couple of years). I followed the recent discussions requesting to keep v2 alive and also noted with dismay that secunia/flexera for whatever reason remains mostly absent from this forum and appears to completely ignore their users' wishes.

I would thus like to start a discussion amongst users what could be acceptable replacements for SPI v2? Please provide pointers to possible alternatives and if possible also describe your experience with them. What are their highlights/strengths, what their issues and problems?

So far I am not aware of any even remotely similarly convenient and reliable tool for the purpose of keeping your Windows system up-to-date, so I am seeking for ideas or advice what to do after March 31st on this subject. I guess I am not alone...

throkr. RE: SPI-2: Alternatives?
Contributor 29th Mar, 2017 01:58
Score: 139
User Since: 22nd Nov 2009
You could have a look at these 2 threads :

- https://secuniaresearch.flexerasoftware.com/commun...

- https://secuniaresearch.flexerasoftware.com/commun...

Hope this helps.

--
Win 10 Pro x64

Malwarebytes Premium - Windows Defender - SAS Pro - Flexera PSI
Cyberfox (x64) - Waterfox (x64) - SRWare Iron (x64)

- All current versions & updates -
Was this reply relevant?
+0
IByteTRB RE: SPI-2: Alternatives?
Member 29th Mar, 2017 13:28
Score: 9
User Since: 8th Jan 2010
Last edited on 29th Mar, 2017 13:29
I know of a few free products that can scan for software updates, although they might not be a complete replacement. FileHippo App Manager is easy to use, but may not cover all software. ScanCircle also works, but sometimes generates too much output in the form of false positives, and does not clearly distinguish between stable and beta releases.

I know I'll be ditching PSI if we're forced to use that dumbed-down no-control PSI3 abomination.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
IByteTRB RE: SPI-2: Alternatives?
Member 29th Mar, 2017 18:49
Score: 9
User Since: 8th Jan 2010
SUMo (Software Update Monitor) was also mentioned in another thread (I think I used it long ago).
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.