Forum Thread: PSI scanning USB drives

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
ubert PSI scanning USB drives
Member 26th Mar, 2017 00:58
Ranking: 0
User Since: 26th Mar, 2017
System Score: N/A
Contrary to other forum posts I reviewed, the latest version of PSI is detecting and scanning my attached USB drives. I see this behavior two ways. First, the drive letters show up in the list of drives that can be selected even though they are attached USB drives. Second, the list of programs includes programs only found on attached USB drives and the file location info confirms that is where PSI discovered the files.

I am running PSI 3.0.0.11005 and uninstalled/re-installed it with the same results.

One example:

O:\Miscellaneous\2 Sort\Program Files\ExamDiff\ExamDiff.exe

Drive O: is a USB attached 1.5 TB Western Digital External HD and the program found has not been installed on any of my computers for the past 15 years. It is just hanging around in one of my legacy/history directories.

Post "RE: PSI scanning USB drives" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI scanning USB drives
Handling Contributor 26th Mar, 2017 12:03
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
What PSI is showing is correct - it can read expansion external hard drives connected to a PC via a USB lead. It cannot read USB memory sticks or SD cards directly plugged into a PC.

You can switch off the scanning of that drive in settings.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1803 Build 17134.407
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+1
ubert RE: PSI scanning USB drives
Member 26th Mar, 2017 13:23
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Mar 2017
How do I turn off the scanning of USB attached hard drives? Under the Settings menu at the bottom of the window, there is a submenu labeled 'Scan individual drives' where all of the drives are listed. But none of the drives is 'checked'.

Hmmm, as a lark, I checked each of the drive boxes and then unchecked them all. It is no longer scanning any of the non-desired drives (or at least it is not finding any of programs on those drives).

What I don't understand is why it started scanning those drives? And when? I just noticed this behavior when I examined my list of programs and spotted a couple that I didn't think were installed. But PSI has been running slow for more than a year.

Thank you for your assistance.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ubert RE: PSI scanning USB drives
Member 26th Mar, 2017 13:36
Score: 0
User Since: 26th Mar 2017
Okay, after a reboot the scan is still limited to the internal SSD where Windows and the Program Files folders are located. The scan (and the initial startup) are much faster (as they were years ago).

Where are the 'settings' stored? From the popup window saying that PSI was contacting some server, I am assuming that my settings are stored under some profile at Secunia.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.