Forum Thread: Microsoft Update is not installed

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
bhenshaw Microsoft Update is not installed
Member 11th Apr, 2017 18:33
Ranking: 40
User Since: 29th Apr, 2009
System Score: N/A
I decided to give PSI 3 one more try. I installed it and scanned and it showed a warning in the bottom status bar. It is an orange circle with an exclamation point in it next to Microsoft Update.

I clicked on Microsoft Update and it says:

Microsoft Update is not installed. Some missing updates cannot be detected without Microsoft Update.

What does this mean? I am on Windows 10 and I do have Windows Update which seems to be running just fine.

Thanks,
Bill

Maurice Joyce RE: Microsoft Update is not installed
Handling Contributor 12th Apr, 2017 08:30
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Bill,
Have you managed to install all the updates offered by Microsoft yesterday?

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bhenshaw RE: Microsoft Update is not installed
Member 12th Apr, 2017 18:50
Score: 40
User Since: 29th Apr 2009
Maurice,

Thanks for the reply.

Yesterday I only had three updates available from Windows Update. They were:

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4015217)
Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 (for x64-based Systems) (KB4018483)
Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013418)

These were all successfully downloaded and installed. I have not yet been offered the new Windows 10 Creators Edition or whatever it is called.

What I don't understand is that the error says that I don't have Microsoft Update installed. I do have Windows Update and it is working as expected. Is Microsoft Update something different? There was no error in PSI 2. This just started when I installed PSI 3.

Thanks!
Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 12th Apr, 2017 19:23
Bill,
What you described for this months Windows update happened to me. I suspect you are now at version 1607 - 1066. The next stage will offer you the Creators Upgrade. All went on very smoothly for me but it does take time.

Have you carried out a PSI rescan since updating? Does the error message still appear?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Apr, 2017 19:46
Maurice,

Very strange. The error did appear in the status bar of PSI after a couple of scans yesterday. Nothing was showing as needing updates in the list of programs and I was at 100% even with this error indicator on in the status bar of PSI.

Just now I initiated a Windows 10 check for updates manually and it found 5 security updates for my Office 2007 programs despite PSI showing that they were update to date. These security updates were installed without any problems.

I went back into PSI and the error indicator in the status bar of PSI was gone even though I did not do another scan in PSI.

Could the error indicator in the status bar have been referring to these updates?

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0
henry8th RE: Microsoft Update is not installed
Member 12th Apr, 2017 20:57
Score: 15
User Since: 23rd May 2013
Maybe Flexera has fixed this false alert. Yesterday, on patch Tuesday Windows update downloaded and installed successfully all the offered updates. Then a little later it offered the Windows update to download and install the large Creators update(Version 1703 OS Build 15063.138), which installed uneventfully. After all these downloads and updates I ran a PSI scan several times and it continually showed that I needed to update Windows 10 even though Windows update was offering no more updates. Today, Wednesday, I ran a PSI scan and it went so quickly I knew it couldn't have really completed even though it showed complete and Windows 10 still needed updating. So I scanned twice again with PSI and it seemed to scan correctly and showed my system to be 100% secure.
It would be nice if a Flexera member could just make a short note in the forums addressing issues such as this instead of leaving users scratching their heads wondering what is going on!

--
Mister P
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Apr, 2017 21:40
Henry8th,

My situation was different. PSI showed that I needed no updates and I was at 100%, but nonetheless I was getting an error in the status bar saying that Microsoft Update was not installed. Not Windows Update, but Microsoft Update. I don't even know what that is.

Thanks,
Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0

Maurice Joyce

RE: Microsoft Update is not installed
[+]
This reply has been deleted
Handling Contributor 12th Apr, 2017 22:38
Bill,
Not too sure whether they are linked. I think we all need a reminder of what PSI does. An extract from the PSI data sheet states:

Download, install, scan - and stay secure!
The Secunia PSI is a free security scanner that identifies vulnerabilities in 3rd party (non-Microsoft) programs, which can expose PCs to attacks. It simplifies and automates the updating of the majority of these programs, making it a lot easier to maintain a secure PC.

https://secuniaresearch.flexerasoftware.com/?actio...

There have been errors in the past between Windows Update patching and statements and remedies offered by PSI.

Considering Flexera have disqualified themselves from fixing anything Microsoft I would ignore any messages or advice they give on patching Windows and rely solely on Windows Update.

Pleased to see you both appear fixed up after Patch Tuesday.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Apr, 2017 22:43
Maurice,

That is interesting that they state that since there are at least 36 programs listed in my program list that they supposedly are keeping up to date.

In any case, I do rely on Windows Update for my Windows updates, but just wondered if something was not quite right with my Secunia PSI or something.

Thanks for your help again.

Bill
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.