Forum Thread: Adobe Flash Player

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
peterspragge Adobe Flash Player
Member 25th Jun, 2017 06:44
Ranking: 10
User Since: 1st Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
I am told that Adobe Flash Player 25.x (ActiveX) needs to be updated. However the only Flash Player that I can find on my machine is 26 (NPAP). PSI identifies the culprit as C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx with the installed version being 25.0.0.171 (IE). Should I use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall Adobe Flash Player and then reinstall it? Peter, desktop Windows 10 Home

Post "RE: Adobe Flash Player" has been selected as an answer.
Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Flash Player
Handling Contributor 25th Jun, 2017 10:21
Score: 12279
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Peter,
I would not try and uninstall the embedded ActiveX version of Flash on Windows 10 which supports IE and Edge.

I am surprised you cannot find the files given that you have published the correct path to the installed ActiveX controls for IE.

On the PSI scan page right click on the Adobe Flash Active X entry and select SHOW DETAILS now double left click on the file path that you can see, File Explorer will now open and you should see the 4 files that support Flash for IE that are clearly identifiable as ActiveX.

Can you see them?

Not sure what you mean by NPAP - are you using a third party browser as well for example Firefox? If so that has nothing to do with Flash for IE and is not automatically updated by Windows Update like the embedded version of Flash for IE and Edge that you appear to have a problem with.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1703 (Creators Update) Build 15063.608
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
peterspragge RE: Adobe Flash Player
Member 25th Jun, 2017 10:53
Score: 10
User Since: 1st Nov 2008
Thanks, Maurice. I can and have found the file but I am not allowed to delete or rename it. Yes, I do use Firefox. I just changed Flash Player 25.x to 26.x by going to an Adobe website that offered the latest version of Flash Player. Peter
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 25th Jun, 2017 10:57
Peter,
Sorry I am a bit lost - are you stating that both Firefox and IE are now showing as up to date?

Is PSI showing as 100%?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
peterspragge RE: Adobe Flash Player
Member 25th Jun, 2017 11:23
Score: 10
User Since: 1st Nov 2008
Is PSI showing as 100%? Bizarrely it is now.

It was showing that Flash Player 25.x needed updating. I found another version of Flash Player 26 and installed that and now FP 26 (ActiveX) and (NPAPI) are both showing as up to date.

It was showing that Windows needed updating although Windows Updates always showed my device as up to date. I assumed that that was because I hadn't got Windows 10 Creators Update yet. I still haven't got Creators Update but PSI is no longer telling me to update Windows.

IE is disabled.

Peter
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 25th Jun, 2017 11:34
Last edited on 25th Jun, 2017 11:43
Peter,

Good news that you are 100%.

I am surprised that Microsoft have not yet offered you the Creators Edition of Windows 10 but your VERSION OF WINDOWS 10 IS FULLY SUPPORTED BY MICROSOFT AND PROVIDED IT IS FULLY UPDATED LIKE IT IS NOW then PSI is correct in giving you a 100% score.

As a reminder Microsoft is responsible for updating the embedded Active X version of Adobe Flash on Windows 8.1 and 10 via Windows Update so hopefully you will not have issues in updating it in the future.

Have a nice weekend.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.