Forum Thread: Open Office update

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Nikilet Open Office update
Member 26th Nov, 2017 16:39
Ranking: 7
User Since: 15th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 26th Nov, 2017 16:40

My Open Office program is up to date, but here's what Secunia psi says:

C:/Program Files/OpenOffice4/program/soffice.exe:
installed version 4.0.9787.500 secure version 4.1.4

I opened my program and selected "check for updates" and it came back that it is up to date with version 4.1.4.

How do I fix this so that it records the version correctly?

Maurice Joyce RE: Open Office update
Handling Contributor 26th Nov, 2017 17:31
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
The old exe version is still installed on your system. PSI will continue to show it until it is removed and your PC is secure.

I asuume this file you have published was showing in PSI? If so double click on it and it will auto open File Explorer where the rogue file is. Look at the properties of any EXE file in that directory for the old file number. Once found right click on it and select delete.

After a PSI rescan the most recent secure version should show.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1803 Build 17134.320
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nikilet RE: Open Office update
Member 26th Nov, 2017 19:55
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
The file location I listed in my post was what was shown in Secunia, yes. I'm not sure I follow when you say double click on it and it will auto open in file explorer. I double clicked on it, in secunia, and nothing happened.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 26th Nov, 2017 20:50
After a full PSI scan you must be getting an entry in the Program List list that indicates you need to update a version of a programme to remain secure.

You right click on that entry and activate the option Show Details.

A box will appear giving you the file location. That is where you must be seeing the entry C:/Program Files/OpenOffice4/program/soffice.exe version 4.0.9787.500

As advised in the box in bold type Double Left Click on the entry C:/Program Files/OpenOffice4/program/soffice.exe and it will auto open File Explorer where you will find the rogue file.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Nov, 2017 06:02
Last edited on 27th Nov, 2017 06:14
I followed your instructions (double click on soffice.exed) and the only thing that happened is that Open Office opened. Explorer did not open.

I right clicked on this file and it is the updated version, 4.1.4, and not that old version.

There is also a folder in this location called OLD program. I opened that and found the soffice.exe file and same thing. The file is version 4.1.4 and the only thing that opens when I double click on it is that the program opens.

P.S. I'm getting more confused; thinking again that you mean for me to double click that entry in
secunia where the path is shown when you click on "show details," but I tried that before and it's not active to click on it.

I deleted that whole folder labeled OLD program from C:/Program Files/OpenOffice4... Then I opened Secunia and there was no listing for Open Office at all. So I went into the trash and restored the OLD program folder. Then I opened Secunia and ran a new scan. After the scan completed there is still no listing at all for Open Office, and of course, without that, I'm now showing all programs up to date. But that program won't be checked on any longer because it's not in the list, so that's not what I would want, is it?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 27th Nov, 2017 14:09
All the instructions in my last post are carried out within PSI to open File Explorer so that you can locate a rogue file being reported on.

The latest version of Open Office is on the Flexera database and should show as installed and secure.

I would just uninstall all aspects of Open Office - run a PSI scan to check that no old Office dross is not present and then install a clean copy.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 27th Nov, 2017 15:31
Thanks, Maurice. That's what I'm going to do -- uninstall the whole thing and then reinstall.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 28th Nov, 2017 22:13
Have you now solved the problem?

--
Maurice