Forum Thread: PSI - End of Life

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
wmahmood PSI - End of Life
Secunia Official 9th Mar, 2018 23:40
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Aug, 2011
System Score: N/A
It's time to say good bye to PSI.

Today we are announcing the End-of-Life of Personal Software Inspector(PSI). This product will no longer be available from April 20, 2018.

Discontinuing PSI hasn't been an easy decision. Consumer products are not part of Flexera's Strategy to help businesses that develop software and business using software address the challenge of this very dysfunctional supply chain.

In line with our strategy, we remain committed to deliver best-in-class Software Vulnerability Management solutions for businesses.

For users looking to continue to keep their PCs safe, we suggest to use software best practices:

. Turn on automatic updating of all software that support it (e.g. Windows, Chrome, Opera, Firefox, iTunes, Quicktime).

. Always manually run updates on those applications that don't update automatically.

. Remember to restart your computers for changes to take effect.

. Uninstall software that's not in use, and search for updates for software you maintain.

We are thankful for your loyalty and for your support over these many years.

On behalf of

Bob Kelly, Senior Product Manager

--
Best Regards,

Waqas Mahmood
Flexera Software Support

smcapps47 RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 10th Mar, 2018 21:46
Score:
User Since: 27th Mar 2012
Thank you for a fine consumer product in PSI. Can you suggest a replacement? Heimdal Agent or Patch My PC? Thank you.
Was this reply relevant?
+8
throkr. RE: PSI - End of Life
Contributor 11th Mar, 2018 03:17
Score: 139
User Since: 22nd Nov 2009
Last edited on 11th Mar, 2018 03:19
Hi,

Thank you @wmahmood for the info. That's sad news ... I'm using it since the very first version.
Thanks to the developers and to Flexera for letting us use this nice piece of software for free during all the past years.

I have no problems with the updates of software (using since years the excellent SUMo - Software Update Monitor for that : http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?download). In my opinion, the best update checker on today's market and it's free ...

What I'm looking for now, as a replacement, is a similar vulnerability checker; so, if someone has suggestion(s), please don't hesitate to share them here.

Thanks ! :-)

--
Win 10 Pro x64

Malwarebytes Premium - Windows Defender - SAS Pro - Flexera PSI
Cyberfox (x64) - Waterfox (x64) - SRWare Iron (x64)

- All current versions & updates -
Was this reply relevant?
+4
klausus02 RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 11th Mar, 2018 12:32
Score: 89
User Since: 4th Feb 2011
Last edited on 11th Mar, 2018 12:37
.. same procedure as last year...

on 11th Mar, 2018 03:17, throkr. wrote:

What I'm looking for now, as a replacement, is a similar vulnerability checker; so, if someone has suggestion(s), please don't hesitate to share them here.

Thanks ! :-)

May be you should have a look here:
https://sec.hpi.de/vulndb/

More information about the sources of HPI-VDB can be found in FAQ on the bottom of the site.

- regards Klaus
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Contributor 11th Mar, 2018 21:38
Last edited on 11th Mar, 2018 21:39
on 11th Mar, 2018 12:32, klausus02 wrote:

May be you should have a look here: https://sec.hpi.de/vulndb/

More information about the sources of HPI-VDB can be found in FAQ on the bottom of the site.

Thanks for this suggestion; I'll have a closer look to that in the next days.

--
Win 10 Pro x64

Was this reply relevant?
+3
casparvan RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 12th Mar, 2018 18:55
Score:
User Since: 23rd Apr 2008
Sorry to hear that secunia psi doesn't fit in your core business profile anymore!
It's been a pleasure to have been using the software developed by a sincere and committed team.
Your problems with VLC had turned me of allready but now you've made the decision for me.
Still, it's a pity.
regards, Cas
Was this reply relevant?
+11
ritchf RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 12th Mar, 2018 20:19
Score:
User Since: 28th Mar 2009
A very short sighted view take in my humble opinion, many users out there will be security professionals and managers in big potential customers. If they have good experience with a product at home they are more likely to buy the name in the office.

Such a shame that marketing people don't see the value of this and prefer cold calling to try and sell the product.

Thanks for all the hard work over the years, I'm sure you have made the digital world a safer place.

Ritch
Was this reply relevant?
+13
xaml RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 12th Mar, 2018 22:04
Score: 3
User Since: 15th Oct 2008
Totally with you, Ritch. First they buy Secunia, ensuring everyone that everything will be wonderful, only to run it into the ground. At least in terms of this very useful tool. And mind you, this is putting it mildly.
Was this reply relevant?
+10
cward RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 12th Mar, 2018 23:06
Score: 6
User Since: 12th Mar 2018
This is a very sad and disappointing turn of events. Let me add that because I used PSI at home, I happily advised my company and others to use the paid version. Now that you have told me that I mean absolutely nothing to you and do not fit into your business model, I plan to go back and tell everyone I know to start looking for another solution that rivals yours. In fact, this is such a slap in the face that I will make it my mission to find anyone using Flexera and let them know they need to move on to other solutions "that meet their business model".

The free version got you a lot of customers and earned significant goodwill. This move is short sighted and generates a serious amount of negative goodwill. Here's hoping you have a major breach and get sued out of existence soon.

Was this reply relevant?
+7
Zoolapore RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 12th Mar, 2018 23:21
Score: 6
Thank you for a great product that I feel is a very important service that has helped my family's overall internet security. The whole World has benefited from your Service and will never be the same again once PSI is gone for the Private Individual. I wish Flexera knew just how much good they have been doing. PSI is the First App I check when I Log-On to my Computer Every Day. I want to make sure that I have the latest Security Patches and Product Updates for a more Secure Internet Experience. I certainly wish that Flexera would please reconsider. Sincerely, Zoolapore Von Flabberblaster esq.
Was this reply relevant?
+6
watsoft70 RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 12th Mar, 2018 23:40
Score: 5
I don't understand the bad blood on here, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is as follows...

I will be sorry to lose this useful app. I hope discontinuing the support helps the rest of your business flourish.

So thank you for the service you gave freely and good luck for the future.

Best Regards

J Watson
Was this reply relevant?
+9
cjw3957 RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 13th Mar, 2018 02:08
Score:
User Since: 5th Dec 2008
I generally agree with others here, I have used this free program checker for many many years and have greatly appreciated it as another tool in helping my family to feel a little safer when using various home pc's/laptops etc over this time. We all try to keep programs/apps/drivers up to date where appropriate but aren't all as tech savvy as some out there and find programs such as Secunia very helpful. Thanks to the original owners who started Secunia also. It is certainly disappointing the new owners are discontinuing it but recently I have found a more thorough program to look into my software and driver updating - SUMo and DUMo. Good luck to all :)
Was this reply relevant?
+8
bhenshaw RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 13th Mar, 2018 05:32
Score: 40
User Since: 29th Apr 2009
It is too bad that PSI is going away. It was a great tool for a long time. I too have started using SUMo and find it very good. I've been using it for a bit over a year now and find that while using it to keep things up to date I haven't had PSI flag anything as needing an update in at least 9 or 10 months.
Was this reply relevant?
+6
Ascendor RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 13th Mar, 2018 09:34
Score: 9
User Since: 13th May 2010
Any chance to open source this software and put it into the hands of the community?
While there are good/better tools for just managing software updates, I think PSI is quite unique in handling security vulnerabilities...
Was this reply relevant?
+7
bobie2 RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 13th Mar, 2018 10:10
Score: 10
User Since: 16th Oct 2008
To those who have contributed to bring us PSI making our online experiences safer thank you and I will miss the program immensely and I would have paid for a licence for this service like thousands or millions of other people. Thank You.

--
nutty7
Was this reply relevant?
+5
CTaylor.ca RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 13th Mar, 2018 12:37
User Since: 8th Sep 2015
Thank you very much for the free program. I teach basic computer security at various branches of the Ottawa Public Library and have always touted PSI as an essential component of good computer security. I will now have to find a replacement for myself and to recommend to those who attend my courses.

I am sure you have considered all the factors in your decision, but would ask that you reexamine the value you can continue to receive form having a "free for personal use" version;
- good will that a company is doing this to help the broader end-user community to be part of the solution, not part of the problem
- advertising of the paid version
- reports on new software from the users of the free version who notice that something they have installed is not covered. This will help you to serve all users better, paid and non-paid.

Also, have you considered having a premium, paid version of PSI. Perhaps the free version would require manual execution? Or even just notifying the user that an update is required and allowing them to figure out how to do the update? You could then tout the premium version as being one that can "not just report on vulnerabilities, but automatically keep your computer up-to-date"

For the benefit of others on this forum looking for an alternative. a friend mentioned that GHacks has a few alternatives listed

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/03/11/secunia-retires-...

But bottom line, thank you for having provided this service. All the best to you and your company.

Chris
Was this reply relevant?
+6
pjc123 RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 13th Mar, 2018 14:57
Score: 4
User Since: 24th Nov 2013
Last edited on 13th Mar, 2018 15:05
First of all thanks for the software; probably saved my butt keeping security items up to date that I might have missed. So, started looking for a replacement today and tried out "Patch My PC" and it looks like a viable replacement. The only caveat is that it is different than Secunia in that it reports on all updates, not just security related issues, so it would require manual checking of an apps changelog if that is the only time it is desired to do an update. It is also portable and ridiculously fast.
Was this reply relevant?
+5
PetervdM RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 14th Mar, 2018 08:36
Score:
User Since: 15th Nov 2010
as a long time user i feel sorry to see this great utility go, but it is your call.
Was this reply relevant?
+5
cavehomme RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 14th Mar, 2018 10:58
Score: 12
User Since: 16th Sep 2011
Last edited on 14th Mar, 2018 10:59
Any business that literally throws away clients is surely not going to last for too long, even if those clients are free users. You could have done what some others do, simply charge a nominal $1 per PC per annum. You must have hundreds of thousands if not millions of users out there, so why would you say no to millions of bucks, especially when users are now actively going to those other competitors?

Not only that, but amongst your user base you'll have many professionals and they'll be frustrated at you, even bad-mouthing your company, which will affect your business products.

Why did you not even enter into an user consultation before you made a decision?

Sure, we have no rights to a free product and you have the full right to do what you want to do, but in my opinion it's a short-sighted strategy probably driven by an accountant playing with his / her Excel sheets and only looking at reducing costs, completely ignoring opportunity and potential future revenues. Don't let short-sighted accountants / CFOs ruin your business.

All in my humble personal opinion.
Was this reply relevant?
+10

VulnDetect

New project: VulnDetect
[+]
This reply has been deleted

VulnDetect

[+]

VulnDetect

[+]

VulnDetect

RE: PSI - End of Life
[+]
Leendert Kip PSI - End of Life
Contributor 14th Mar, 2018 18:59
Score: 137
User Since: 22nd Jan 2009
Last edited on 14th Mar, 2018 19:02
Hi VulnDetect Team. Just came back from holidays and read about the EOL of PSI. I'm a long time user of PSI and it was a great help to keep my pc and laptop safe. I understand the reasons but for the vast PSI community it's a loss the least to say. And I will miss PSI! I want support your initiative and hope you can develop software with PSI functionality. I'm unable to support you with development because I lack knowledge and experience in this area. Maybe I can share in the beta-testing in the future. Good luck!

--
PC: PWA Computers
Intel Core I3 2100 3.1Ghz
Kingston DDR3 ValueRam 4GB 1333
Kingston SSD SV300S 240GB
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bits SP1
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL
Google Chrome 66.0.3359.117

Laptop: MSI GT780DX
Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL
Was this reply relevant?
+4

VulnDetect

[+]
Rdanzig RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 14th Mar, 2018 21:38
User Since: 14th Mar 2018
How about open sourcing the PSI software to the community so we can continue its progression?
Was this reply relevant?
+4

mikelinder

[+]
wmahmood RE: PSI - End of Life
Secunia Official 15th Mar, 2018 11:46
Score: 0
User Since: 10th Aug 2011
This post was deleted for not complying with the principles of the community. It was a post by a new member, used exclusively to promote a product. Note: We encourage discussions driven by actual users about alternative options to PSI.

--
Best Regards,

Waqas Mahmood
Flexera Software Support
Contributor 15th Mar, 2018 12:21
on 15th Mar, 2018 11:46, wmahmood wrote:
This post was deleted for not complying with the principles of the community. It was a post by a new member, used exclusively to promote a product. Note: We encourage discussions driven by actual users about alternative options to PSI.

I don't agree! This is a very shortsighted interpretation of the rules. It wasn't promoting a commercial product. It was only information for the PSI users about a possible development of a new non-commercial product which might be a replacement for PSI. Is Flexera fearing for competition?

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL
Was this reply relevant?
+5
Contributor 15th Mar, 2018 12:32
Last edited on 15th Mar, 2018 12:33
on 15th Mar, 2018 12:21, Leendert Kip wrote:
I don't agree! This is a very shortsighted interpretation of the rules. It wasn't promoting a commercial product. It was only information for the PSI users about a possible development of a new non-commercial product which might be a replacement for PSI. Is Flexera fearing for competition?

I totally agree with you on this; simply deleting these posts isn't very fair ...

--
Win 10 Pro x64

Was this reply relevant?
+7

Leendert Kip

PSI - End of Life
[+]
This reply has been minimised due to a negative Relevancy Score.
Contributor 15th Mar, 2018 13:32
on 15th Mar, 2018 13:21, Leendert Kip wrote:
.....Will Flexera keep the forum open or close it too?

I suppose that this forum will be closed as the related software won't exist anymore ...

--
Win 10 Pro x64

Was this reply relevant?
+1

Fallonjd

[+]
Anselm RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 17th Mar, 2018 14:48
Score: 7
User Since: 7th Jul 2008
Last edited on 17th Mar, 2018 14:49
on 11th Mar, 2018 03:17, throkr. wrote:
I have no problems with the updates of software (using since years the excellent SUMo - Software Update Monitor for that : http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?download). In my opinion, the best update checker on today's market and it's free ...

You are right, ist's an update checker but not an updater like Secunia PSI was. I paid to get the Pro Version, but while the free version forwarded to a KC Softwares site, the Pro Version forwards to the home page of the Software manucaturers. To find the download pages is the user's business. I think, Secunia PSI was much better. Or I understood anything wrong.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
Intel Core i5-2430M CPU 2.4 GHz 8 GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Contributor 17th Mar, 2018 15:49
Last edited on 17th Mar, 2018 15:51
on 17th Mar, 2018 14:48, Anselm wrote:
You are right, ist's an update checker but not an updater like Secunia PSI was. I paid to get the Pro Version, but while the free version forwarded to a KC Softwares site, the Pro Version forwards to the home page of the Software manucaturers. To find the download pages is the user's business. I think, Secunia PSI was much better. Or I understood anything wrong.

Since a few years, I'm also using the Pro version of SUMo (as a support to the developer as there's no way to make a donation) and the download functions (per click on the appropriate tile or per right-click) brings me directly to the download pages ... If this is not your case, you should open a thread in SUMO's forum; the developer will be answering very quickly.

Basically, the first meaning of the PSI is to be a vulnerability checker, not an update checker; to maintain the installed programs up to date, you should use softwares like SUMo.
The big advantage of SUMo over other similar updaters is that the user has the possibility to add himself directly every new installed program to SUMo's list (increasing this way the global database); AFAIK no other updater offers this option on the actual market...

--
Win 10 Pro x64

Was this reply relevant?
+3
Anselm RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 17th Mar, 2018 17:29
Score: 7
User Since: 7th Jul 2008
I got it, thank you. For example Adobe AIR forwards to https://get.adobe.com/de/air/, but many others just to the developer's homepage. I'll open a thread as you told me.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
Intel Core i5-2430M CPU 2.4 GHz 8 GB RAM
Was this reply relevant?
+0

5JwL20394HjsA

[+]
wagnercg80 RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 17th Mar, 2018 20:25
Score:
User Since: 8th Mar 2009
I am very sorry to see you withdraw from the consumer market. It has been very useful over the years. I often wondered why you were not charging for it.

I would have gladly paid $15-$20 per year on a subscription basis for this as a service.
Was this reply relevant?
+5
klausus02 RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 18th Mar, 2018 12:06
Score: 89
User Since: 4th Feb 2011
on 17th Mar, 2018 15:49, throkr. wrote:

Basically, the first meaning of the PSI is to be a vulnerability checker, not an update checker; to maintain the installed programs up to date, you should use softwares like SUMo.
The big advantage of SUMo over other similar updaters is that the user has the possibility to add himself directly every new installed program to SUMo's list (increasing this way the global database); AFAIK no other updater offers this option on the actual market...

Since last year
https://secuniaresearch.flexerasoftware.com/commun...

I'm using SUMo, too. It's great. Two days ago I e-mailed with Kyle. And he is still highly interested in upgrading SUMo to be able to read
vulnerability-databases by means of services offered by Hallo-Plattner-Institut (HPI-VDB). I mentioned this on 11th Mar, 2018 12:32.

- regards
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Fallonjd RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 18th Mar, 2018 13:34
Score:
User Since: 10th Feb 2008
I tried Sumo for exactly one day. I quickly found out that you needed the paid Dumo to make it even come close to PSI. One day was more then enough for me. Very difficult to keep track of.

It has the very annoying habit of red flagging "paid versions" and/or "paid Upgrades" of the programs I am using.
Even more annoying is the fact it is flagging generic updates to OEM programs and system hardware that should never be updated, except by the manufacturer. These are things that PSI never did.

I had only 17 programs being red flagged and everyone of them were not needed. I do not need to waste my time double checking each of these un-necessary flags, every time Sumo ran.

It is far too easy to be careless and update something that should not and cause system problems and novices should be told to stay away from it altogether.

Using Sumo, in my own opinion, is a poor substitute for PSI. I have since found a substitute, but I refuse to sound like a commercial for a product. I recommend you search all of the recommendations and ratings on-line until you find one that works correctly.
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Contributor 18th Mar, 2018 13:48
Last edited on 18th Mar, 2018 13:59
klausus02 wrote :
..... Two days ago I e-mailed with Kyle. And he is still highly interested in upgrading SUMo to be able to read
vulnerability-databases by means of services offered by Hallo-Plattner-Institut (HPI-VDB). I mentioned this on 11th Mar, 2018 12:32.

I had contact with Kyle too; this would, of course, be perfect but doesn't seem to be an easy task. Let's wait and see ...

--
Win 10 Pro x64

Was this reply relevant?
+3
Contributor 18th Mar, 2018 15:00
Hi @thokr. I fully agree with you. Last year I evaluated SUMo free for two month and then took lifetime licenses for both my machines. Never regret and can recommend this application. And if needed, Kyle always responds to support requests quick and friendly.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL
Was this reply relevant?
+6
Contributor 18th Mar, 2018 19:53
on 18th Mar, 2018 15:00, Leendert Kip wrote:
Hi @thokr. I fully agree with you. Last year I evaluated SUMo free for two month and then took lifetime licenses for both my machines. Never regret and can recommend this application. And if needed, Kyle always responds to support requests quick and friendly.

Glad to hear that you're also a happy user of SUMo as I am since years.
That's precisely why I wanted to share the informations about this software.

--
Win 10 Pro x64

Was this reply relevant?
+5
rusty.07 RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 19th Mar, 2018 02:48
Score: 16
User Since: 18th Apr 2014
Belarc Advisor should be mentioned here as alternative, although I don't think it scans for outdated 3rd-party programs except for Adobe Flash.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Contributor 19th Mar, 2018 08:07
Hi Rusty, I agree with you that Belarc Advisor is a useful and free program. It only checks for missing MS Windows updates. I run it everytime I install Windows updates. Belarc regularly reports missing updates but there are false reports caused by database discrepancies at Belarc's side. First I investigate missing updates myself by trying to downloaad and install the update. Simply search for: download KBXXXX for windows 7 64 bits. When found and downloaded I try an install. In most cases the result is: update not fot this pc. I then contact Belarc support by e-mail: support@belarc. com They need the exact KB number and your windows versio. And they need the Belarc profile of your pc. This profile can be found, in my case windows 7, in c:\programfiles(x86)\belarc\belarcadvisor. There is a file with a letter B and the pc name. Copy that to your e-mail. They always report back. For all other software I use SUMo which works satisfactory.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Contributor 19th Mar, 2018 08:27
@fallonjd. This is strange! I'm using SUMo for a year now and never seen the problems you mention. Searching for windows updates and beta versions should be switched off. All of the other problems you mentioned didn't occur on my pc and laptop. I'm saisfied with the payed lifetime verzion. I'm now looking at VulnDetect which is under development and it may be a useful replacement for PSI in the future.

--
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL

Intel Core I5-2450
DDR3 RAM 6GB
Secunia PSI 3.0.0.11005
Internet Explorer 11
Mozilla Firefox 59.0.2NL
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 19th Mar, 2018 18:51
Score:
Kipe, I can only tell you what I experienced with Sumo/Dumo and perhaps I should have printed the page before I had Revo uninstaller yank it out.

It was telling me that my Intel chips needed updating, which is something both HP and Intel warn you about not installing a generic update to OEM machines and there were a few more generics that the manufacturers warn you about doing.

It was telling me to update my Photowork, Magix, Nero, Microsoft Office and Digital Photo suite, Cyber Link, Rootsmagic,My heritage, and a few more.

Every one was not an update. I even checked each individual program with it's own built in updater and against the website for the latest version. In every case I had the latest updates for my version already installed

The alleged updates in every case was actually for (fee) upgrades to the latest version. I get enough of that from the companies themselves without getting it from another source.

Don't know why it happened on my machine and why you didnto experience it on your machine
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 19th Mar, 2018 19:34
@fallonjd

I concur with what you have found. PSI reports I have no programs with security vulnerabilities. SUMo reports 25 programs with minor updates and 16 programs with major updates. WTF?!?

And as I started slogging through the list - avoiding the programs where it was a new version that would cost me money, and in a few cases, remove functionality I have with the present version, I found the same as you did - in many cases, both internal updating processes as well as vendor web sites say I am at the latest version.

What a pain!

I tried to find a decent program that will report on JUST programs with security vulnerabilities. No luck so far other than enterprise tools designed to keep computers on a corporate network patched. I will even pay a reasonable yearly fee if I can find one that is even CLOSE to PSI.

Sigh...

Chris

Was this reply relevant?
+2

klausus02

[+]
Member 19th Mar, 2018 21:04
Wow! I thought this would be a whole lot easier to find a vulnerability scanner.

I did find a couple that - personally, I don't think are up to snuff, but others may want to look at

SecPod Saner Personal - http://www.secpod.com/download-endpoint-security-s...

What I like: Free. Tells you what programs it found and examined.

What I don't like: While PSI tells me my 104 programs are up-to-date, SecPod Saner reports that my 24 programs are up-to-date. And half of them are Microsoft things (Edge, IE, Visual C redistributables, etc.) that Windows Update will look after. Several others take care of themselves quite well, like Firefox and Chrome. So while it doesn't bug me about non-security updates, it does not seem to be looking at a lot of my software

Kaspersky Software Updater - https://usa.kaspersky.com/free-software-updater

What I like: Free and is is not an "update" manager.

What I don't like: It will ONLY tell you about software that needs security updates. So unless/until it reports on something, I have no way of knowing what it is watching. For all I know, it is only looking at IrfanView (the one program it reported needed an update)

As well it is a compliance checker, which I am not really interested in. But you can turn off that portion in the configuration so it is not in your face and you don't accidentally do something like turn on password expiration or encryption of the SAM database.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
cavehomme RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 22nd Mar, 2018 12:16
Score: 12
User Since: 16th Sep 2011
I agree, SUMO is definitely for the normal PC user, not even for me who is much more advanced, but I can see why some people like it. I too have chosen another product, but I hope PSI can continue in some way, even paid. Another product charges $1 per PC per annum, I think 90% of PSI users would go along with that, if offered such a choice.
Was this reply relevant?
+3
Member 22nd Mar, 2018 12:36
@cavehomme

"I too have chosen another product"

Can you share with us the product you chose and why? (advantages/disadvantage/cost, etc)

Thanks

Chris
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Member 22nd Mar, 2018 15:45
Score:
AS PER:

@CTaylor
I cannot confirm your findings. I'm using SUMo since last year when PSI2.0 went EOL. I find it very easy to use. The difference between minor and major updates depends on the version number. As usual the version number consists of 4 numbers. And if the most left number has changed then an update is flagged as major update otherwise as minor update. Its your choice to exclude a program.

Taylor,

Would not choosing to exclude a program be defeating the entire purpose of depending on the Sumo to alert you to real updates that are needed by your system ?

Time is still wasted verifying that the "update" is actually for your version and not an "upgrade" version they are trying to sell you.
Evidently, Sumo is unable to make this distinction the way PSI and other programs have.

Still say, coupling the above with the dangerous recommended generic updates for hardware functions, this is not a program for novices to be playing with.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Protopia RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 23rd Mar, 2018 13:24
User Since: 22nd Jul 2009
Whilst no one can force Flexera to continue to support PSI, I feel it is a great pity that they have decided to discontinue it completely as it was a true force for good against the bad guys and a genuine benefit to the world's computers.

Is it too late to suggest to Flexera that they either:

a. Continue to provide the small amount of funding that PSI needs as a charitable gesture for the general good?; or

b. Open source the technology (perhaps creating a public foundation or handing it to an existing one) so that the community can maintain PSI itself?

?????
Was this reply relevant?
+4
Masterious RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 29th Mar, 2018 08:12
User Since: 29th Mar 2018
I have used this product for years, and have pushed (well, badgered) my bosses to use it as well, back when it was permissible to use it for businesses. I am disappointed in your decision just to drop it, especially with so little warning. I pay for anti-virus/firewall and other security products; why would you think I wouldn't pay an annual fee for this? I consider PSI a critical piece of my security software, and I'm actually uncomfortable at the thought of no longer having it.

Please reconsider your decision, especially if that was based solely fiscally. I'm sure you'd generate quite a bit of income should you decide to start charging a fee, and I highly doubt many of us would complain should you do so.
Was this reply relevant?
+5
ibok RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 29th Mar, 2018 08:21
Score: 2
User Since: 23rd Nov 2008
Last edited on 29th Mar, 2018 08:25
After a very long time together with the Secunia PSI which was The VERY BEST that helped me a lot to keep my 3 computers in tact I have to say good bye and I am wondering is there another like Secunia to help us?
I looked all those that some of you gave us in order to help and the only that I found easy to use is the PatchMyPC which I use together with secunia in my Laptop and the 2 desktops.
Best regards
Was this reply relevant?
+1

Maurice Joyce

[+]
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI - End of Life
Handling Contributor 29th Mar, 2018 11:48
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
This information may give you some help:

https://vulndetect.com/topic/2/welcome-to-vulndete...

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1803 Build 17134.167
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Ascendor RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 4th Apr, 2018 13:30
Score: 9
User Since: 13th May 2010
Last edited on 4th Apr, 2018 13:31
on 19th Mar, 2018 21:04, CTaylor.ca wrote:
Kaspersky Software Updater - https://usa.kaspersky.com/free-software-updater

What I like: Free and is is not an "update" manager.

What I don't like: It will ONLY tell you about software that needs security updates. So unless/until it reports on something, I have no way of knowing what it is watching. For all I know, it is only looking at IrfanView (the one program it reported needed an update)

--> Full list of supported software: https://support.kaspersky.com/11827#block6
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 4th Apr, 2018 14:05
on 4th Apr, 2018 13:30, Ascendor wrote:
--> Full list of supported software: https://support.kaspersky.com/11827#block6[/quote]

Thanks for the list. Most helpful in knowing just how short that list is!

Chris
Was this reply relevant?
+0
AnselmD RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 8th Apr, 2018 14:07
Score: 1
User Since: 8th Apr 2018
Another one

Download Avira Software Updater
https://www.avira.com/en/avira-software-updater

Software Updater kostenlos downloaden | Avira
https://www.avira.com/de/avira-software-updater
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 8th Apr, 2018 17:42
Score:
Aselem,

I just tried Avira. It worked pretty good and caught one program that had not auto updated yet.

But, I thought the other 6 programs it flagged, as being "Out-of-Date", were kind of sneaky on Avira's part. Each one that I clicked on the "update" button brought me to the Avira page for purchasing the "Pro" version.

Anyone seeing that notice could be deceived into purchasing Pro believing that it would be needed to update those programs, when in fact they could not be updated.

IE: Avira flagged my 2003 Outlook (part of my 2003 MS Office suite) The only way I would be able to satisfy the "update" would be for me to purchase a later version. That being said, it however ignored the programs in the rest of the 2003 suite "Excel, Power point, Word etc.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Apr, 2018 20:06
Fallonjd,

only for interest,for your "other 6 programs" are there useful links behind the world-symbol (instead of pressing update)?
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 8th Apr, 2018 20:44
was this updater mentioned before?

Update Detector - Filepuma.com
http://www.filepuma.com/updatedetector/
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Apr, 2018 21:00
Score:
Anselm,

Thank you for the heads up. I clicked on the world globe and that did bring me to the MS/Windows website.

But,I found that despite being outdated, there are several older programs on my machine that depend on those particular versions.

Which makes me wonder why PSI never displayed them. Seems to me PSI did a better job of analyzing a individual machine.

I have to echo others on this forum in asking Secunia to please develop for us long time users, a paid version.

Again thanks for helping me.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 8th Apr, 2018 21:53
Score:
Anslem,

I just tried your suggestion on Garysoft/Puma.

It might be too dangerous.

It flagged an up date for my 6 year old Winzip. I thought it was odd that the program hadn't alerted me of an update.

So i hit the download update button and when it was finished I found it had removed my paid version of Winzip 18 with a 21 day trial version of Winzip 22.

Fortunately, I had a backup copy of the paid Winzip 18 to reinstall the program with
Was this reply relevant?
+0
asavage70 RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 11th Apr, 2018 22:31
Score:
User Since: 18th Oct 2008
That is a pity, but would you re-consider?

I ask this as people that are less tech savvy (such as my Mother) would not be able to keep her laptop software up-to-date and safe.
Was this reply relevant?
+2
kardmania RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 12th Apr, 2018 22:25
User Since: 7th Jun 2009
Unfortunately, any replacement program would not be as good without Maurice.

If anyone has found what they feel is the best replacement product let me know.

Good luck to everyone.

Nathan

Was this reply relevant?
+1
Maurice Joyce RE: PSI - End of Life
Handling Contributor 12th Apr, 2018 23:56
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Nathan,
As previously published this site is worth a visit - https://vulndetect.com/category/1/announcements

I believe this will be a worthy replacement for PSI. I have not yet signed up to the general forum but have registered my interest in helping with the ALPHA and BETA testing as and when they become available.

If you have any questions not covered on the PSI replacement website there is an email address you can use to contact the developers.

Currently there is no replacement for PSI which is a one off vulnerability checker. Qualys, who are very big hitters in the security world, offer a vulnerability checker for all browsers installed on a PC and a useful double check on Microsoft updates.

https://browsercheck.qualys.com/

This thread has been mainly concerned with general programme updaters which is better than nothing but cannot be compared with PSI or Qualys unique vulnerability only output.

Hope this helps.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1803 Build 17134.167
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+2
Mikey83 RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 19th Apr, 2018 19:38
User Since: 15th Aug 2014
I have been using Secunia PSI for years. I wish they were not discontinuing it.
It is a good product, but it is not perfect.

I evaluated 3 other alternative products to compare to Secunia.
<b>The 3 other products found programs requiring security updates that Secunia missed!</b>
2 of the 3 alternatives found uniquely required updates that the others missed (including Secunia) -- there was no overlap in the detection.

Unfortunately, <b>this demonstrates that you need to run more than one program</b> (maybe more than 2, 3 or 4 programs) to detect out of date programs requiring security updates. So much for simplifying your life!

The 3 alternatives do report software requiring updates that might not be security related, but to emphasize again -- these 3 alternatives found security updates that Secunia missed.

<b>When using a product to detect programs requiring updates, not just security vulnerabilities, you should place a priority on updating programs that place you at a higher risk</b>, e.g., programs that interact with the internet (browsers, media players, email programs), or interact with files you get from other people (office suite products, like word processors or spreadsheets, PDF viewers), or products known for security issues like the Flash Player or Java.

If you have a program requiring an update, but you are not sure if it has a security vulnerability, you can look up the version with a Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) database, but now we are starting to get too complicated for the average user.

And don't forget to run Windows update!

Linux is looking more appealing everyday.
Was this reply relevant?
+1
epcosatx RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 20th Apr, 2018 09:37
User Since: 20th Apr 2018
Certainly going to miss this very helpful software program. Thanks, all, for making it available to so many over the years! Been a great ride...and, I'm sure I speak for many! Cheers!
Was this reply relevant?
+1
bobie2 RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 20th Apr, 2018 10:05
Score: 10
User Since: 16th Oct 2008
I will certainly echo that and say thank you to all who contributed to the forum and for those who made Secunia free to us for so many years. Sadly this is the last day
Thank you all

--
nutty7
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Anthony Wells RE: PSI - End of Life
Expert Contributor 20th Apr, 2018 14:20
Score: 2541
User Since: 19th Dec 2007

So Long , and Thanks for All the Fish :))

Take care y'all

Anthony

--

It always seems impossible until its done.
Nelson Mandela
Was this reply relevant?
+1
PetervdM RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 20th Apr, 2018 15:26
Score:
User Since: 15th Nov 2010
farewell, and signing off
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Apr, 2018 15:52
Score:
Just wanted to add my thanks to all of the years Secunia gave us PSI.

Now I guess it is time to let go.

I wish to also echo a plea to Flexera. Would you please consider releasing PSI on a subscription basis. I like many would ,be willing to pay for good products like we already do

Sincere thanks again

John F.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Jhja RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 20th Apr, 2018 16:36
User Since: 28th Jun 2009
I will miss PSI, have used it many years. Isn't it possible to give it away or sell it to someone that can continue it?

--
Bring back Secunia PSI 2.0
Was this reply relevant?
+1
PJPoncelet RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 20th Apr, 2018 17:15
Score:
User Since: 3rd Jul 2009
A sad day to see the end of PSI. It has been helping keep all my family and friends' machines safe for many years now. Have not found any alternative that does the job as well....

Paul
Was this reply relevant?
+1
5JwL20394HjsA RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 20th Apr, 2018 17:48
Score:
User Since: 20th Jun 2015
Thanks to Mikey83 for your advice. I am a security light-weight and need all the help I can get to protect my family.
That's why I liked Secunia PSI so much.
Would Mikey83 please list the programs you referred to? Please include links where possible.

"I evaluated 3 other alternative products to compare to Secunia.
<b>The 3 other products found programs requiring security updates that Secunia missed!</b>
2 of the 3 alternatives found uniquely required updates that the others missed (including Secunia) -- there was no overlap in the detection.

The 3 alternatives do report software requiring updates that might not be security related, but to emphasize again -- these 3 alternatives found security updates that Secunia missed."

Mikey83, thanks for you help... I need it. Be well.

P.S. Thanks again to Secunia PSI for your long-time safety help. I too would have subscribed to a service such as yours.

--
JL
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Mikey83 RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 20th Apr, 2018 20:02
User Since: 15th Aug 2014
on 20th Apr, 2018 17:48, 5JwL20394HjsA wrote:
Thanks to Mikey83 for your advice. I am a security light-weight and need all the help I can get to protect my family.
That's why I liked Secunia PSI so much.
Would Mikey83 please list the programs you referred to? Please include links where possible.

"I evaluated 3 other alternative products to compare to Secunia.

The 3 alternatives do report software requiring updates that might not be security related, but to emphasize again -- these 3 alternatives found security updates that Secunia missed."

Mikey83, thanks for you help... I need it. Be well.

P.S. Thanks again to Secunia PSI for your long-time safety help. I too would have subscribed to a service such as yours.

========

What are the 3 alternatives I tested?

<b>SUMo</b> (Software Update Monitor)
Here is a description http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo
There is a free lite version, and a paid pro version.
get the software here http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?download
The lite version installer is called sumo_lite.exe

<b>Patch My PC</b>
Download it here https://patchmypc.net/download
It is not installed, it is a portable program, you just run it. PatchMyPC.exe

<b>Belarc Advisor</b>
Download it here https://patchmypc.net/download
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Spiff RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 21st Apr, 2018 13:21
Score: 21
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010
As soon as PSI 2 was End-of-life, PSI 2 ceased to work.
Now that PSI 3 is End-of-life, I notice that PSI 3 still seems to be working.
Was the plug not pulled, yet? Will that happen later, for instance on Monday?
Or does PSI no longer connect to the server but doesn't the application mention there is no connection and therefore that an "All programs are up-to-date" result may be bogus information?
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Member 21st Apr, 2018 14:19
on 21st Apr, 2018 13:21, Spiff wrote:
As soon as PSI 2 was End-of-life, PSI 2 ceased to work.
Now that PSI 3 is End-of-life, I notice that PSI 3 still seems to be working.
Was the plug not pulled, yet? Will that happen later, for instance on Monday?
Or does PSI no longer connect to the server but doesn't the application mention there is no connection and therefore that an "All programs are up-to-date" result may be bogus information?

It is still working as of right now. I did a "scan again" and it found a couple of recent updates - Chrome and Foxit Reader.

Dare we hope that Flexera has decided to keep PSI going???

I have STILL not found a reasonable vulnerability manager. Flexera - like many who have said it before me, I would be happy to pay a reasonable yearly fee (maybe $20) for PSI.

Chris
Was this reply relevant?
+1
Spiff RE: PSI - End of Life
Member 24th Apr, 2018 11:41
Score: 21
User Since: 22nd Dec 2010
As soon as PSI 2 was End-of-life, PSI 2 ceased to work. That was excellent for clarity.
Now that PSI 3 is End-of-life, PSI 3 still seems to work. This is not good for clarity.
What is going on?
Did Flexera forget to shutdown the PSI server?
Does Flexera ignore the fact that the PSI server is still up, but did Flexera stop updating the PSI database since End-of-life? In that case the "All programs are up-to-date" result is unreliable, but as PSI 3 still seems to work as before, this is confusing and inadvertently misleading to less tech savvy users.
If PSI is End-of-life, I hope Flexera will shutdown the PSI server, so that PSI will no longer work - for clarity!
Thank you very much.
Was this reply relevant?
+1

This thread has been marked as locked.