Forum Thread: Problem installing update

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Sun Microsystems
And, this specific program:
Sun Java System Access Manager 6.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
This user no longer exists Problem installing update
Member 2nd Apr, 2009 11:53
Ranking: 0
User Since: 1st Jan, 1970
System Score: N/A
I am trying to instal a downloaded update, Sun Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x, as advised by scan manager. I am getting a message saying that I must close the program manager. Is this the java manager? if so where is it please? If not what have i to close? As u can probably tell I am not very technical. Hopefully u can help quickly. I am running XP with all updates. Regards michael

GoneToPlaid RE: Problem installing update
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 01:48
Score: 5
User Since: 1st Apr 2009
Get Java 6 Update 13 from here:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

You want the first download which is listed under

Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE)
JRE 6 Update 13

Installing will require that you close down your web browser(s). I have never seen it ask to close down Program Manager.

on 2nd Apr, 2009 11:53, wrote:
I am trying to instal a downloaded update, Sun Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x, as advised by scan manager. I am getting a message saying that I must close the program manager. Is this the java manager? if so where is it please? If not what have i to close? As u can probably tell I am not very technical. Hopefully u can help quickly. I am running XP with all updates. Regards michael

Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Problem installing update
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 10:42
Thanks for help but this is what I downloaded and tried installing before. I have followed exactly your instructions but still get "close manager" message and cannot get beyond that. Regards Micharl
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Problem installing update
Handling Contributor 3rd Apr, 2009 11:05
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Sun Java System Access Manager 6.x looks like business tool to me & not for home users.

Try CTRL+ALT+DELETE (DEL) - look in the applications & Proceses tab for this task and stop it.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 11:41
Sorry Maurice but I cannot see anything that resembles Sun Java. U are trying to help an idiot I think!!!!!!!!!!. Michael
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Problem installing update
Handling Contributor 3rd Apr, 2009 11:55
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Michael,
The real question is do U require the Access Manager programme? I note the course to learn how it works costs $1480!

If U do not use it as described can U not uninstall it via add/remove.
Details of what the programme does are here:

http://www.sun.com/training/catalog/courses/CDM-AM...

Clearly not a home environment tool & I suspect your best bet is to contact the vendor support.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 12:27
Hi
You know that when downloading updates for sun-java you can delete the older versions .
So trie to remove sun-java from your system by ADD-Remove program ; then restart your computer and go to sun-java page and download the latest one .

cheers.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
GoneToPlaid RE: Problem installing update
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 14:24
Score: 5
User Since: 1st Apr 2009
on 3rd Apr, 2009 10:42, wrote:
Thanks for help but this is what I downloaded and tried installing before. I have followed exactly your instructions but still get "close manager" message and cannot get beyond that. Regards Micharl

Doesn't the installer have a close programs checkbox on the page which informs you that you need to close the manager? I recall that it does and that all you need to do is click the checkbox and then click Retry?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Apr, 2009 15:50
Hi Maurice, jeangeorges and gonetoplaid, many thnks for help and interest. I really dont know what happened here. I no nothing about app manager but when this auto update tried to instal something went wrong as Java had disappeared from prog list. Anyway I have reinstalled and hopefully everything is okay. Thanks again, michael
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.