Forum Thread: Memory Usage

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
tds1951 Memory Usage
Member 14th Apr, 2009 04:28
Ranking: 0
User Since: 10th Apr, 2009
System Score: N/A
Secunia PSI is using more memory than any program I have running, 73Mb, is this normal? It is not running a scan but just monitoring in background.

By the way it did find 1 out of date program, Adobe Flash Player. I had a hard time getting rid of a out of date Flash Player Helper. Had to manually get rid of it so updated version would install. New version of Flash player would install but, the old version of Flash Player helper would remain.

I'm 100% secure now, would have not known if not for Secunia.

This user no longer exists RE: Memory Usage
Member 14th Apr, 2009 14:07
I don't have a problem with PSI using virtual storage RAM as I see that I still have almost 40% real RAM free:
http://www.carthagosoft.net/meminfo.htm
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Alan_Baxter RE: Memory Usage
Member 14th Apr, 2009 19:30
Score: 0
User Since: 1st Mar 2009
on 14th Apr, 2009 04:28, tds1951 wrote:
Secunia PSI is using more memory than any program I have running, 73Mb, is this normal?

Don't know. It does seem to use a lot, but it's never caused a problem for me. For me, PSI typically uses 35-45 MB. That's the actual RAM usage displayed in the Memory Usage column of Task Manager. Windows XP SP3, 1GB RAM.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
tds1951 RE: Memory Usage
Member 14th Apr, 2009 21:26
User Since: 10th Apr 2009
Last edited on 14th Apr, 2009 21:27
Thanks,
Everyone, I didn't know if this was high or not. I have not had it installed or used it very long. I still have over a 1.5Gbs of physical memory left Secunia PSI is not slowing anything down at all. Sometimes it will throttle down to 40mb. But i will say its a great program, if you have any old out of date versions of anything on your computer it will discover them even if it is not being used.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Alan_Baxter RE: Memory Usage
Member 15th Apr, 2009 06:50
User Since: 1st Mar 2009
You're welcome. Glad to hear it's not a problem.

Thanks, YoKenny for recommending MemInfo. I'll check it out when I get a chance and compare it to the alternatives.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
metaed RE: Memory Usage
Member 15th Apr, 2009 17:22
Score: 1
User Since: 11th Feb 2009
I highly recommend Process Explorer from sysinternals.com (which was so good it was acquired by Microsoft).

Currently, Process Explorer is reporting for my running PSI.EXE:

Virtual Size, 181,636 K
Private Bytes, 34,140 K
Working Set, 31,704 K
WS Private, 21,208 K
WS Shareable, 10,496 K
WS Shared, 3,724 K

Virtual Size is a measure of the total program size, including parts of the program that are not in use, and including program subroutines borrowed from a library. So you do not go by the Virtual Size as a measure of RAM. The measure of RAM is the Working Set.

So you can read those figures to mean the following. PSI.EXE is using 31 Mb of RAM. But 4 Mb is in common with other running programs (from the library). By subtraction, 27 Mb of RAM is in use exclusively by PSI.EXE.

--
Sometimes they fool you by walking upright.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.