Forum Thread: Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.x

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
H08590 Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.x
Member 19th Apr, 2009 00:50
Ranking: 0
User Since: 30th Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
I have Windows Xp SP-2. I am actually not sure of the name of the specific program. I think the file is for my SOundBlaster card, but I am not sure. Secunia says the security is with
c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Creative\Media Database\JetFileBackup\Msadox.dll
I completed the installation of Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.x and when I rescanned, Secunia says I am still insecure because there was no change to this msadox.dll
If I am right that this is for Soundblaster, there is no update available. What suggestion is there? Do I just find a copy of a msadox.dll from somewhere and put in into this folder, or would that mess up things? Thanks.

Maurice Joyce RE: Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.x
Handling Contributor 19th Apr, 2009 11:14
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
I do not think this is anything to do with Creative Soundblaster.

It looks like some kind of backup file using the old Microsoft Jet Database Engine which was linked to MDAC.

I would right click & delete the file. U may wish to read this first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Jet_Databas...

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
GoneToPlaid RE: Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.x
Member 22nd Apr, 2009 18:07
Score: 5
User Since: 1st Apr 2009
on 19th Apr, 2009 00:50, H08590 wrote:
I have Windows Xp SP-2. I am actually not sure of the name of the specific program. I think the file is for my SOundBlaster card, but I am not sure. Secunia says the security is with
c:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Creative\Media Database\JetFileBackup\Msadox.dll
I completed the installation of Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.x and when I rescanned, Secunia says I am still insecure because there was no change to this msadox.dll
If I am right that this is for Soundblaster, there is no update available. What suggestion is there? Do I just find a copy of a msadox.dll from somewhere and put in into this folder, or would that mess up things? Thanks.

You can delete Msadox.dll from the JetFileBackup directory. Your soundblaster card will still work just fine since the file is what the directory name implies -- a backup of the original system file.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.x
Member 22nd Apr, 2009 19:51
H08590, Windows Service Pack 3 has been available for almost a year and contains several Critical Security updates so in Internet Explorer go to Tools then Windows Update and download all of the available updates.

Also you should enable Automatic Updates or at least be notified that Updates are available.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.