Forum Thread: Java 6 update 13

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Oracle Corporation
And, this specific program:
Oracle Java JRE 1.6.x / 6.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
Litisha Java 6 update 13
Member 19th Apr, 2009 05:39
Ranking: 0
User Since: 27th Nov, 2008
System Score: N/A
Secunia that there was an update for Java. I removed program and updated it to 13. Is anyone having problems with going to certain websites. When I use firefox, certain websites says connecting and it locks up the browser. When I try it on IE 7, it tries to connect and automatically shuts down IE. Can anyone help me please. It's since been 2 weeks and I still can't figure it out. I'm trying to get to one of my classes online on a mygotomeeting but I am not able to access. Also have other sites that simply doesn't load? Also, could this have to do with something I did in msconfig for services, all I did was uncheck some things so start up wouldn't be so slow. I did hide all my Microsoft Services before doing this. And also tried to go back in and enabled all but that still didn't work. I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

trombone_dude RE: Java 6 update 13
Member 19th Apr, 2009 06:30
Score: 0
User Since: 3rd Jan 2009
Not entirely sure if the java update could even cause this problem, but it looks like you screwed with some other stuff too, so let's just try to solve the problem. The easiest solution hopefully would be to install IE8. This is assuming you have either XP or Vista. Based on your problem, you will need to borrow a friend's computer or go to the library and download the install files to a flash drive. If this does not work, I have another idea, but it will take some work.

What operating system are you using? If it is windows 2000 or better, go to start>run and type eventvwr.msc

IE 7 maintains its logs in the application log. Sift through there and find the last application hang. Find that and copy>paste everything in the event log onto a message and post away! I will do my best to help you, but I am hoping the first solution works...

--
Asus P5QC, 2.4Ghz Intel Quad Core, 2Gb Ram, XP Pro

Asus EeePC 4G Surf, 2Gb Ram, XP Pro
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Litisha RE: Java 6 update 13
Member 19th Apr, 2009 07:16
User Since: 27th Nov 2008
I don't usually use IE, I first tried in firefox & had the problem so I tried IE and instead of not loading like firefox it just shut me down. I have XP as my operating system.

I'm also not when but AVG recently had an upgrade to 8.x, don't know if this had something to do with it.

This is what I found in the log. Not sure if I did it correctly, I'm not a very computer savy person.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Hang
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 4/18/2009
Time: 11:09:51 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JNSPLACE
Description:
Fault bucket 1203592333.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 42 75 63 6b 65 74 3a 20 Bucket:
0008: 31 32 30 33 35 39 32 33 12035923
0010: 33 33 0d 0a 33..

The above was the last I found that said application was hanging. Thank you so much for trying to help me.

Litisha
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 07:28
You did it right. Problem is the information there is not very forthcoming. I suggest you click on the link as microsoft may have mre reports than I do.

AVG has several documented errors. I would not normally suggest this, but you may try uninstalling AVG just long enough to see if the problem still exists. Let me know what you find...

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 07:50
I was wondering I have to fully uninstall it or should I just turn disable it? If I have to uninstall it, is there a way I can still get some protection. I know Windows is suppose to have one, not sure if mines is on, do you know how I can check that?

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 07:59
This is what came up when I clicked on that microsoft event link.

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1001
Source: Application Hang
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: DW_BUCKET_LOG

Explanation
The indicated program stopped responding. The message contains details on which program and module stopped responding. A matching event with Event ID 1001 might also appear in the event log. This matching event displays information about the specific error that occurred.

User Action
No user action is required.

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message. For information about other support options you can use to find answers online, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx.

I just don't understand this stuff. Sorry.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 08:00
Windows has a firewall, not really antivirus per se. It does have a process that scans files in the background, but it is not very good. I do, however think you need to uninstall completely to see if AVG is the problem. You don't have to, it is just a suggestion...

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 08:02
Okay, thank you, I will do it first thing tomorrow morning and let you know what happens. Appreciate your help. Good night.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 20:11
Hi trombone dude, I do have the paid AVG and my sign up said it was available for download until December 2008. Now I'm not sure if I uninstall I will be able to reinstall. I have contacted AVG for some help but it's slow in coming. I have to just be patient I guess. But I will let you know what they suggest for a fix. Thanks much.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 20:24
You can, but we will try something else for now. In my sleep deprived state I did not realize the event log pointed to a different log. Notice how it says to look for event ID 1001? Could you go back into the logs and find me that event and paste it into a new thread? If you can do that we may be able to figure out which component is faulting and avoid uninstalling AVG in troubleshooting!

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 20:51
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 21:06
I am sorry. I should have been more clear. Try to find the last event in which internet explorer crashed. When you do, look at the date and time the error was logged, and see if you can find the 1001 event that corresponds. It may not exist, but it would help if it did. Also, if you can tell me which programs in the event log have red x's as an icon we may be able to figure it out as well. Something major has to be worng because apparently your system is crashing too, according to yur event log.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 21:33
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 21:56
Unfortunately, your logs are not very forthcoming. I am wondering if perhaps you would be willing to dump your system and applcation logs to a file and send them to me. I would be happy to look through them and see if i can find the problem... if you are i will send you my e-mail address and we will go from there.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 22:27
okay, thank you so much. Although you need to explain more in detail how I do this??

Thank you
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 22:34
Last edited on 19th Apr, 2009 23:18
go into the eventviewer and on the left side, right-click on system and select save log file as. save system as system, and application as application. when done e-mail them to me

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 23:31
Okay this is weird, I just got a link from Secunia advising me of a new thread update, although when I went to it, it was the one I had previously but now it looks like some parts of the message isn't there. On that message I saw your email address and emailed you the file, now when I look parts of the message is cut off. Strange, well I hope you got my email.

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Apr, 2009 23:43
I edited the thread to remove my email address. I did get your email but am on my phone right now. I will take a look at the log files as soon as I get home.

--

Was this reply relevant?
+0
isepiq RE: Java 6 update 13
Member 26th Apr, 2009 21:48
User Since: 26th Apr 2009
Last edited on 26th Apr, 2009 21:51
An old problem has popped up again. This makes several times over the years. Java 6 update 13 is crashing Azureus/Vuze AGAIN, & also locking up the computer causing a hard reboot to have to be done. IE7 & the latest version of Firfox both hang or freeze with this newest version, preceeded by Vuze disappearing. I RE-Installed Java 6 Update 12, then UNiinstalled 6_13 & everything is back 100% too normal AGAIN, ugh.
One would 'think' that once such a bug was removed/fixed, that it could be kept out forever. No such luck. I have 5 various computers, both Intel & AMD systems, & Java 6 update 13 messes up on all of them without exception.
Repeating the same mistakes over & over & over again gets a little tiring & very disappointing. Makes me think that the law suit should have gone the other way cause I never had these problems with Microsoft's version of Java, EVER. Anyways, to fix, INSTALL Java 6 build 12, THEN goto add/remove programs & UNINSTALL Java6 build 13, & all will be fine for now.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 26th Apr, 2009 22:29
Not exactly if this will help but my problem was that Java was downloaded in two areas. I friend of mine found that to be the problem and just uninstalled and reinstalled update 13 again. And so far so good.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Zeevush RE: Java 6 update 13
Member 28th Apr, 2009 19:25
User Since: 28th Apr 2009
I suggest that you'll install spybot (it's free) you can download it from the link www.spybot.com (it resolved meny times my problems, especially IE 7.0 which sometimes freezes my PC). I hope it'll solve your problem or at least some of them.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.