Forum Thread: IE7 Cat. 4 threat?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
whaler IE7 Cat. 4 threat?
Member 27th May, 2009 19:40
Ranking: 0
User Since: 25th May, 2009
System Score: N/A
I am getting a cat.4 warning about IE7 on one of my computers but not on the other. Also I'm getting the same on windows XP Home Edition. If Secunia thinks IE8 is the answer, They must not use XP. 45% of people loading IE8 (mostly on XP) have had major problems and/or had to remove it. I have gone through this ordeal 3 times and I will not load IE8 until it's working.

OS1946 RE: IE7 Cat. 4 threat?
Member 28th May, 2009 14:12
Score: 0
User Since: 8th Dec 2008
Last edited on 28th May, 2009 14:25
I have a similar (if not the same) problem. My OS is also XP and have tried downloading IE8 several times. When used, I get a message that "IE8 has encountered a problem and needs to close."

--
Dell Vostro 200
Intel Core 2 Duo
Windows XP Home SP3
IE8

"A lie can travel halfway round the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." MARK TWAIN (?)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Alan_Baxter RE: IE7 Cat. 4 threat?
Member 28th May, 2009 17:34
User Since: 1st Mar 2009
on 27th May, 2009 19:40, whaler wrote:
I am getting a cat.4 warning about IE7 on one of my computers.

I'm using an up-to-date patched IE7 on Windows XP. PSI shows it as patched. Are you sure PSI is telling you to install IE8?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: IE7 Cat. 4 threat?
Member 28th May, 2009 17:39
I have IE8 installed on both XP and Vista without problems.

Are you using Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster or IE-SPYAD as these have been known to cause problems with IE8?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Alan_Baxter RE: IE7 Cat. 4 threat?
Member 28th May, 2009 17:51
User Since: 1st Mar 2009
Thank you for the headsup, YoKenny. I do have Spybot S&D and SpywareBlaster installed. IE8 doesn't work well for me, so I'm sticking with a fully patched IE7 for now.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 28th May, 2009 20:00
The reason Spybot S&D causes problems with IE8 is the Immunize feature and if you disable it then IE8 can be updated.

The reason SpywareBlaster causes problems with IE8 is the Protection entries do this and if you disable them then IE8 can be updated.

Reasons to update to IE8:
Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer...

Non Microsoft reasons:
http://edge.technet.com/Media/IE-8-RTM-and-Top-5-r...
http://www.lordoftheweb.info/706/reasons-why-inter...

Since I use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) that I can update and run a Quick scan in under 3 minutes I have not had Spybot S&D that I updated its definitions then let it run for 15 minutes or more and finds nothing I have un-installed Spybot S&D and have not missed it.

I still use SpywareBlaster though as it sits in the background nice and quiet.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Martyn7458 RE: IE7 Cat. 4 threat?
Member 6th Jun, 2009 21:53
User Since: 17th Mar 2009
Last edited on 6th Jun, 2009 21:55
I dont think IE8 is the solution. I have a dual boot machine that has both IE7 and IE8 on it and they both have the same problem. The IE8 is running under Windows 7 with no Spybot present.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 7th Jun, 2009 16:47
on 6th Jun, 2009 21:53, Martyn7458 wrote:
I dont think IE8 is the solution. I have a dual boot machine that has both IE7 and IE8 on it and they both have the same problem. The IE8 is running under Windows 7 with no Spybot present.

We can only help if you document what your "same problem" is.

No 2 systems are the same and have their own requirements and quirks so when you say that they both have the "same problem" and you do not provide your system configuration then it is hard to find a solution.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MaritimeRider RE: IE7 Cat. 4 threat?
Member 24th Jun, 2009 18:22
Score: 22
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
Noted that IE7 was a problem same as posting. However scan after update showed it to be patched. I also had tried IE8 and had to delete due to system crashes. I had a difficult time getting IE7 reinstalled. After seeing the business practises of MS. I was not surprised. I will not download 8 until such time as I absolutely have to. I do not have any programs that would cause a false security risk.Secunia displayed a patch appl'd without any intervention by me.As I stated this was noted in the rescan after update.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jun, 2009 18:24
Smart action!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 24th Jun, 2009 18:27
AN add-on to earlier reply. My OS is Vista
IE 7 is patched.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Jun, 2009 09:24
on 24th Jun, 2009 18:27, MaritimeRider wrote:
AN add-on to earlier reply. My OS is Vista
IE 7 is patched.

How much RAM does the system have and what is the CPU type and speed?

Windows 7 is so much better than Vista.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wingrovedl RE: IE7 Cat. 4 threat?
Member 28th Nov, 2009 02:56
User Since: 11th Sep 2009
Last edited on 28th Nov, 2009 02:58
That is what I have incountered also. MSN advises against it. And that's a microsoft program. I have XP as my OS.

--
He's NOT the President of MY Country !
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JCitizen RE: IE7 Cat. 4 threat?
Member 30th Nov, 2009 16:11
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
My clients had IE 7 upgrade issues too; all were corrected when proper SP3 and IE 8 preperations were followed. This is primarily an XP problem I'm talking about; although I did disable SpywareBlaster before upgrading on Vista x64 as well.

You must google for the SP3 preparation instructions on the Microsoft Technet site. They are long winded, and when followed keep you from pasting IE 7 down permanently, This is one of the biggest reasons folks are having upgrade problems.

Also, before upgrading to IE 8, all tool bars,immunizers, host files, and some add-ons need to be disabled or uninstalled before upgrading to IE 8. Don't take my word for it. Do a google for the Microsoft TechNet instructions on both operations, before doing an IE 8 upgrade.

You may ask, why didn't MS tell us all this? Who knows why an arrogant giant like MS does half the stupid stuff they do, because they can, I guess.

Good luck!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
JCitizen deleted(repeat)
Member 30th Nov, 2009 16:11
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Last edited on 30th Nov, 2009 16:13
(NT)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MaritimeRider RE: deleted(repeat)
Member 1st Dec, 2009 04:57
Since first posting re IE7/8 which was several mos.ago,I did more follow-up,got my facts together and switched about 2mos.+/-.Now I had no
problems with scan reports. and am truly pleased with the upgrade.There is an article on tne blog which you can access above.Good info for anyone.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MaritimeRider RE: deleted(repeat)
Member 1st Dec, 2009 04:57
Since first posting re IE7/8 which was several mos.ago,I did more follow-up,got my facts together and switched about 2mos.+/-.Now I had no
problems with scan reports. and am truly pleased with the upgrade.There is an article on tne blog which you can access above.Good info for anyone.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
whaler RE: IE7 Cat. 4 threat?
Member 23rd Dec, 2009 06:46
User Since: 25th May 2009
As the creator of this particular thread, I thought an update was in order. To this day I don't know why IE8 caused so many people problems, but M.S. apparently fixed the code that caused the problems, because after installing and uninstalling it 2 or 3 times I tried one more time. I had made no significant changes and none that I believe had anything to do with the issue, but when I loaded it for the 3rd or 4th time it worked perfectly. Maybe it's "third time's a charm" but I suspect M.S. just released it a month or 2 prematurely. I am nearly positive that the problem wasn't with my computer. I read too many posts on techrepublic.com from others who had the same issues. An overwhelming majority were using XP, so I'm pretty sure it had to be a Microsoft problem. Whatever, I love it now even with it's insecurities.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wingrovedl RE: IE7 Cat. 4 threat?
Member 23rd Dec, 2009 07:11
User Since: 11th Sep 2009
I had this problem also. I was told by "MSN" NOT to use IE8. that it is not for XP users that use MSN. Also "SilverLight" , "Windows Live Essentials" or Microsoft Office Live add in 1.0. These are non-acceptable programs for IE7 using Windows XP with MSN. Straight from the tech's at Windows MSN. Everything runs fine without them.
Don't forget ta have that fun.

--
He's NOT the President of MY Country !
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.