Forum Thread: Comments on PSI 1.0.0.5 Beta

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
pudelein Comments on PSI 1.0.0.5 Beta
Member 28th May, 2009 19:39
Ranking: 1
User Since: 16th Jan, 2008
System Score: N/A
Generally speaking, I like the improvements in the new PSI 1.0.0.5 Beta. However, I encountered one issue during installation and a couple of others during early operations.

1. As I was installing the new bets on my WinXPSP3 system, I was alerted that "Activity Monitor" had not passed Microsoft's XP compatibility tests and that I should stop before I wrecked my computer! I assumed that a legitimate portion of PSI was the cause of the alert and simply pressed on. The installation seems to be all right. It would be nice to know what I was really being told (if anything!).

2. When I initially opened the new GUI, there were two issues. First, it reported that it "could not find" my country and suggested going to an appropriate web site. Second, it thought I still had Internet Explorer 7 on my machine. I now ran a new scan of the system with the new release. This had no effect on the first issue, but it did fix the second; it now reports IE8 (which is correct). I would like to suggest that a new scan be run immediately when a version of PSI is greatly changed from its predecessor. This could be forced on the user or could take the form of a strong recommendation in the GUI.

3. At this point, "Secure Browsing" showed both IE8 and FF3 to be present: this is right: the first is unavoidable, the second is my default browser. However, PSI missed SeaMonkey in "Secure Browsing", although it is present in the list of patched programs. I am assured from a comment in another thread in this forum that this has been fixed. For that, my thanks.

4. One fairly minor caveat: In Secure Browsing, as well as in the patched program list, several programs (6 in my case, but this will differ from one user to another) are listed as Firefox extensions which are in actual fact Thunderbird extensions. The associated paths to these applications make clear which is which, but the confusion should be removed. The two main applications, a browser and an e-mail client, are related to each other historically (genetically?), but are quite independent now.

sanderg RE: Comments on PSI 1.0.0.5 Beta
Member 28th May, 2009 21:05
Score: 0
User Since: 28th May 2009
My comments:

1. The link to the forum next to a detected program seems to be dead;
2. On a system with XP SP3 and IE 6, it complains about Flash not being installed. When clicking the download link and installing Flash 10.x, PSI still complains, even after exiting and restarting the program.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Comments on PSI 1.0.0.5 Beta
Member 28th May, 2009 22:27
Last edited on 28th May, 2009 22:30 sanderg, IE8 is available with tabbed browsing and many security improvements over IE6:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Internet-explorer...

Both work fine for me.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Bundaburra RE: Comments on PSI 1.0.0.5 Beta
Member 29th May, 2009 01:15
Score: 0
User Since: 18th Feb 2008
I like the new version, but it could not find my country either. How does it detect where you are? In my profile, my email address has .au at the end (for Australia) - is that what it uses? In which case it should recognise Australia.

The only other thing I noticed was that the "secure browsing" detects IE6 and complains about it, even though I have upgraded to IE8(which I hardly ever use, default browser is FF). The installation of IE8 places backup copies of IE6 in \WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\ and in \WINDOWS\ie8\. I created ignore rules for iexplore.exe in both of these locations, but it made no difference. The scan does not find these backup copies, even without ignore rules, so the "secure browsing" should behave the same way.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.