Forum Thread: Scan USB stick (removable device)

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
TheBlackLion Scan USB stick (removable device)
Member 31st May, 2009 21:48
Ranking: 0
User Since: 31st May, 2009
System Score: N/A
Hi,

is there any way to make PSI also scan USB sticks? My programs installed on an USB stick (it is a system without hard disks) but I would really like to use Secunia PSI to keep the software up to date.

I know about software to make an USB stick look like a fixed disk to Windows XP, but I would prefer a parameter or registry entry for PSI to do the trick.

Thanks & kr
Lion

This user no longer exists RE: Scan USB stick (removable device)
Secunia Official 2nd Jun, 2009 10:22
Hi

The PSI will only scan fixed drives, so you will have to make Windows see the USB key as a fixed driver rather than a removable drive.

Using software to do this might be the easiest way.

--
Kind regards,
Morten Hansen
Secunia PSI Support

Secunia PSI
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal
F_BIG RE: Scan USB stick (removable device)
Member 5th Jun, 2009 07:01
Score: 4
User Since: 14th May 2009
System Score: N/A
As I dis-remember here, seems to me that there is a single bit change per USB stick to make it look like a fixed disk. Simple .reg job to toggle it on or off, as I seem to remember. You gain and lose on the change.
Upside, another "internal mounted drive". should scan in Secunia, most AV's, most Desktop searches. Downside, .reg hassle to swap out.
Another downside with the change is: Recycle Bin, System Restore point hidden directories, and NO SURPRISE REMOVALS (well you can, but Bad Things Happen).
I'd also speculate there might be problems with U3, Ringcube's Mojo Drive, NTI's Ninja Drive, maybe TrueCrypt might have some issues too.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.