Forum Thread: PSI slows down PC to nearly stillstanding when scanning the harddisk

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
hmiller1 PSI slows down PC to nearly stillstanding when scanning the harddisk
Member 4th Jun, 2009 17:34
Ranking: 0
User Since: 3rd Jun, 2008
System Score: N/A
Hello,

I have a Laptop with a Intel Pentium M processor (1.5GHz) running under Windows XP home SP3 and the Personal Software Inspector slows down the PC to nearly stillstanding when it scans the harddisk. Where can I setup PSI NOT to use all resourses on the PC? If I can't do that I have to uninstall it since it makes my PC even unsecure!

Maurice Joyce RE: PSI slows down PC to nearly stillstanding when scanning the harddisk
Handling Contributor 5th Jun, 2009 21:57
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
U do not say how much RAM U have.

Have U checked how many programmes are running in the background using resourses?

There are numerous programmes around that will help U to switch off unwanted start up items to free up memory.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
PHIL53 RE: PSI slows down PC to nearly stillstanding when scanning the harddisk
Member 7th Jun, 2009 13:09
Score: 0
User Since: 23rd Feb 2009
Last edited on 8th Jun, 2009 09:07
Have a look at these sites. It helped me turn off some of the start-up programmes I did not need to have running in the back ground.

http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/04/12/slow...

or

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

Hope it is of some help.

Phil
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sleepr0 RE: PSI slows down PC to nearly stillstanding when scanning the harddisk
Member 26th Jul, 2009 14:25
User Since: 11th Dec 2008
Last edited on 26th Jul, 2009 14:26
I'll back that up. I fix other people's PCs. I am a Microsoft MVP. I have found that PSI can really lock up some PCs to the point of un-usability. I recently set up XP on upgraded hardware and Acronis True Image seemed to prevent me from doing anything else while imaging a drive. As soon as I shut down PSI, the PC became instantly responsive again.

Secunia needs to look into this. PSI runs too heavily at all times. It uses huge amounts of RAM even when not scanning. They need to lighten it's footprint.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Slamgeden RE: PSI slows down PC to nearly stillstanding when scanning the harddisk
Member 27th Jul, 2009 10:35
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
Try opening the process manager, right-clicking the process, and down-prioritize it.

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
sleepr0 RE: PSI slows down PC to nearly stillstanding when scanning the harddisk
Member 27th Jul, 2009 10:59
User Since: 11th Dec 2008
The only problem with that idea is that the priority must be set manually each time the PC starts. It's not going to help the novice user.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.