Forum Thread: PSI Hangs

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
NormanS PSI Hangs
Member 4th Jun, 2009 18:42
Ranking: 2
User Since: 18th Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 4th Jun, 2009 20:13

Yesterday, for the first time, PSI hung repeatedly at 93% completion; it hung even after uninstalling, downloading, and installing latest stable version.

Except for Secunia, everything seems to be running OK.

From the error reporting screen, I obtained the following information: saAppName :psi.exe szAppVer :1.0.0.4 szModName : hungapp szModVer :0.0.0.0 offset :00000000.

Today,upon opening the PSI window, before a scan is started, PSI lists 28 FALSE security threats; I say false, because the programs do not exist in the Add/Remove Programs listing of my Widows XP Media Edition OS. The list PSI displays include programs that were removed a long time ago. Contrary to PSI, an on-line run of Secunia reveals that my computer is 100% up to date.
After the list was displayed, I ran a scan to completion; but the results are NOT reassuring: this time PSI stated that there were 18 security threats, but the list displayed continued showing the 28 programs listed previously.

Re-examination of the 28 programs listed and the 18 listed in the last scan reveals that the 28 programs is composed of 18 insecure programs plus 10 end-of-life programs.

Curiously, none of these programs are, in fact, listed by Windows XP's Add/Remove Programs list.

--
NormanS

This user no longer exists RE: PSI Hangs
Member 4th Jun, 2009 23:36
Norman, try Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM)
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Download then update it with its Update function then run a Quick scan and have it remove whatever it finds and a reboot may be required to remove locked files.

Problems running MBAM:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showf...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
NormanS RE: PSI Hangs
Member 5th Jun, 2009 05:52
Score: 2
User Since: 18th Jan 2009
Thank you YoKenny.

Since posting my problem, I found from this forum (see 2 unsafe programs by hovhow on the 29th of May, 2009) that Secunia provides the paths of where it found suspect programs and what to do about them.

Since then, I have reduced my problems from 28 to 3.

I expect I will ask for help on them tomorrow.

--
NormanS
Was this reply relevant?
+0
NormanS RE: PSI Hangs
Member 6th Jun, 2009 03:11
Score: 2
User Since: 18th Jan 2009
Two of my last three problems were resolved by uninstalling Flash Player and manually deleting the one remaining ocx file, followed by re-installing the Firefox version of Flash Player.

The third problem was resolved by getting the latest version of the program.

My last Secunia Scan gave me a 100% score.

This forum is invaluable.

--
NormanS
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.