Forum Thread: 'No products affected by this package installed on this system'

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Powerpoint 2003

This thread has been marked as locked.
Frank O 'No products affected by this package installed on this system'
Member 4th Jun, 2009 21:34
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A
I've found PSI very useful on my Windows XP laptop, but have run into a glitch I've been unable to resolve.

When I run a PSI scan, it tells me that one of my programs which poses a threat is Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003 11.0.8164.0, which it finds at c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\PPTVIEW.EXE. When I click on the icon for Download Solution, I am directed to Microsoft's site to download Security Update for PowerPoint Viewer 2003 (KB969615).

When I download and attempt to run this, however, it produces an error message stating "There are no products affected by this package installed on this system" and exits.

Any suggestions on what to do next? (Apart from upgrading to Office 2007 or uninstalling.) Thanks much in advance.

Maurice Joyce RE: 'No products affected by this package installed on this system'
Handling Contributor 4th Jun, 2009 23:12
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
The answer is in this thread:
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/186...

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: 'No products affected by this package installed on this system'
Member 4th Jun, 2009 23:16
Frank, look at the Technical details of the application.

My version
(unknown source)
Technical details about this installation of Microsoft Word Viewer 2003, you can use this information to determine why the Secunia PSI detected the program and the security state of it.

Version Detected:

Installation Path:
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WORDVIEW.EXE

Last Inspection of Program:
30th May. 2009, 21:25 CET

Make sure you have the correct version of Microsoft Word Viewer 2003 installed and updated.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Orla K RE: 'No products affected by this package installed on this system'
Member 10th Jun, 2009 15:57
Score: 0
User Since: 16th Jun 2008
I have the same exact problem. I find the executable right where it says it is. It appears that Microsoft's update is not looking there for it.
I still don't know how to fix it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Phil Roberts RE: 'No products affected by this package installed on this system'
Member 13th Jun, 2009 00:12
User Since: 24th Feb 2009
I have the same problem. I'm not a computer pro so I'm not sure what to do. Did you ever get an answer that a layman could understand and work a fix?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Frank O RE: 'No products affected by this package installed on this system'
Member 13th Jun, 2009 00:18
User Since: 4th Jun 2009
Last edited on 13th Jun, 2009 00:19
Yes, I was able to fix it after consulting with the thread linked by Maurice. Basically I did this:

-- Go to the link at microsoft.com provided by Secunia to download a fix. Save this executable file.

-- Instead of running the executable file, use WinZip to extract the file pptview.exe (the file Secunia was reported as being a problem).

-- Move this pptview.exe to the directory where the problematic file was installed (c:\program files\microsoft office\office11 in my case).

The only hassle was that I didn't have WinZip installed on my system, and 7-Zip, the extraction software I prefer to use, wouldn't extract pptview.exe by itself. So I had to download and install WinZip, use it, then uninstall it.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
212168 RE: 'No products affected by this package installed on this system'
Member 18th Jun, 2009 09:12
User Since: 7th Nov 2008
on 4th Jun, 2009 21:34, Frank O wrote:
I've found PSI very useful on my Windows XP laptop, but have run into a glitch I've been unable to resolve.

When I run a PSI scan, it tells me that one of my programs which poses a threat is Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003 11.0.8164.0, which it finds at c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\PPTVIEW.EXE. When I click on the icon for Download Solution, I am directed to Microsoft's site to download Security Update for PowerPoint Viewer 2003 (KB969615).

When I download and attempt to run this, however, it produces an error message stating "There are no products affected by this package installed on this system" and exits.

Any suggestions on what to do next? (Apart from upgrading to Office 2007 or uninstalling.) Thanks much in advance.

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.