Forum Thread: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft PowerPoint 2007

This thread has been marked as locked.
qrst MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Member 10th Jun, 2009 22:49
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Hi - I am running win xp pro sp3, with office 2007 student edition.

PSI alerts me to programfiles/mf office/office12/pptview.exe is insecure or is that unsecure ;-)? PSI refers to KB970059 (which refers only to PP 2007 viewer & NOT office pp 2007.

The KB updates pptview.exe to a newer version. When I try to install it - it says it is not applicable to my system. MS tells me because I do not have Viewer installed. But I have the same file installed. MS could give me no rational reason why the file would be vulnerable if installed with Viewer, and not vulnerable if installed with PP itself. Maybe another path? On the surface it makes no sense to me. MS is researching and gewtting back to me. They tried to blame secunia, but I insisted they research. Do you think I should unpack the kb .exe file and update?

Thanks

Deb

Maurice Joyce RE: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Handling Contributor 10th Jun, 2009 23:59
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 11th Jun, 2009 12:52
Deb,
I would not. The whole thing is crazy if U are running Office 2007.

Just find the file in Office & rename it OLD.

The Secunia insecurity will disappear & U will not lose any functionality with the programme.

I to am on to Microsoft & have included the registry keys that I consider are a nonsense.

Will let U know the outcome.

Edit. If I also find any error messages after renaming the file - none to date & I have created a full Powerpoint Show - I will post it back here to allow U to reverse the renaming.

2nd Edit. What was also missing from PSI was the PowerPoint.exe file for those using Microsoft Office. This has been corrected by Secunia so U should now see a patched exe file 12.0.6500.5000. U should not see the viewer if U have renamed it.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 13th Jun, 2009 10:28
Last edited on 14th Jun, 2009 08:16
Work around For PowerPoint Viewer Embedded In Microsoft Office 2007.

This work around will retain full functionality of Microsoft Office 2007 & prevent the insecurity problem highlighted by PSI.

1. Open the PATCHED tab in PSI and U should see Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 version 12.0.6500.5000 - this merely proves U have indeed got PowerPoint installed rather than the standalone Viewer.

2. Open & run Office diagnostics via Start>Microsoft Office>Microsoft Office Tools>Microsoft Office Diagnostics
This could take up to 15 minutes so time for a nice glass of wine. Running this tool will not erase any data but merely checks your installation files.

3. The tool auto corrects any problems (doubtful) so U can now remove the viewer insecurity as follows.

4.Right click on start>select Explore> navigate to Programs>Microsoft Office>Office 12>PPTVIEW.EXE (it is a 1968KB file dated 10/11/2008)

5 Right click & rename this file PPTVIEWER.EXE_OLD

Your problems are over until next time!

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Litisha RE: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Member 14th Jun, 2009 01:04
Score: 0
User Since: 27th Nov 2008
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Jun, 2009 08:21
Last edited on 14th Jun, 2009 11:31
Litisha,
That is the file - date layout is slightly different between countries. Surprised PSI is picking it up if it has not got EXE extension.

That said, just rename it as advised. As my early post indicates it can be reversed if necessary (doubtful) so U will not make things worse.
If U want to be absolutely sure U have the correct file Right click on it,select properties then version number - it should be 12.0.6414.1000
- this is the file causing hassle with viewer users.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
panlaan RE: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Member 14th Jun, 2009 13:40
User Since: 14th Nov 2008
Maurice,

solution works, THX,

peter (Netherlands)

--
Panlaan
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 14th Jun, 2009 19:09
For Users Of Microsoft Office 2007 Only.

An Update On This Annoying Saga.

After tinkering I am now aware why PPTVIEW is embedded in Office 2007.

If U create a PowerPoint Presentation there is an option to PUBLISH & PACKAGE TO CD. During the process of burning the presentation to a CD it asks whether U want to include the viewer for those without Office 2007 installed to read it.

My previous advice to rename the file is correct & will cure the insecurity.
If at a later date U use the PUBLISH & PACKAGE TO CD command the diagnostics within the programme will create the necessary file to allow the process to work.

In a nutshell - RENAME THE PPTVIEW FILE OLD as advised. I have no doubt at some stage Microsoft will permanently correct the error.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Litisha RE: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Member 14th Jun, 2009 19:46
User Since: 27th Nov 2008
Hi Maurice:

It worked just as you said. Thanks so much for all your help. You're the best.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
stimun RE: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Member 14th Jun, 2009 23:33
User Since: 16th May 2009
Maurice,
work around confirmed!
( On my Windows Vista Home Premium, SP2, MS Office 2007 Home and Studen Edition - and on my Windows XP, Mediasenter Edition, Cersion 2002, MS Office 2007 Home and Student Edition.)

Thank you very much for this work around!

Before I did your work around, I did the following as suggested:
Did the Office diagnostics. (and yes, I had time for a beer, I'm all out of wine :)
Microsoft Office-Diagnostic says after repair progress (as the diagnostics found 1 problem..)
"Installdiagnose repaired all problems found with the Office-installation." - Yeah, right...
Re-scanned with Secunia, no changes found...

(No kudos for MS, again...)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
0uY3q09wEOXK7l4ireR5FBK... RE: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Member 15th Jun, 2009 13:44
User Since: 26th Dec 2009
Last edited on 15th Jun, 2009 13:48
Hi, Maurice,

I am having similar problems using the standalone viewer. It is working perfectly, but after running Secunia tonight I got the "Insecure Program" message and clicking the download and Wizard buttons did nothing. My MS Updates are all up to date.
My PPTVIEW.EXE file is 12.0.4518.1014, it is dated 26/10/206 and it is 1966kb in size. The viewer doesn't function if I rename that file.

My MS Office folder in Program Files is 26.8mb, but Control Panel > Add and Remove programs show it as 61.70mbs. Why is this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ted from New Zealand
======================
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 16th Jun, 2009 00:50
Ted,
This thread is for those wioth Microsoft Office 2007 installed. If U only have the viewer switch to this site
http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/186...

The action discribed by Programmer (Mike) are the same for 2007. The only change for U is to download the 2007 viewer & not the 2003.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
0uY3q09wEOXK7l4ireR5FBK... RE: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Member 16th Jun, 2009 03:12
User Since: 26th Dec 2009
Hi, Maurice,

Thank you for your reply.

I think I'll just uninstall Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English) from Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and use Open Office, which I have installed, to read my PP files. Or maybe I could just rename that PPTVIEW.EXE to render it inoperative.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
edstock RE: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Member 17th Jun, 2009 00:20
User Since: 16th Jun 2009
Last edited on 17th Jun, 2009 00:53
Deb,

I had the same problem when I tried to apply the KB970059 patch to my Microsoft Office installation. To get it to work properly, I did the following:
1. Starting at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/, I searched for PowerPoint Viewer 2007.
2. I downloaded and installed PowerPoint Viewer 2007 from one of the links. This kept the version of pptview.exe at 12.0.6414.1000.
3. I downloaded and installed PowerPoint Viewer 2007 Service Pack 2. This still kept the version at 12.0.6414.1000.
4. I downloaded and installed the patch from KB970059. Now it installed properly and updated the version of pptview.exe to 12.0.6502.5000. Secunia PSI is now happy.

I'm not sure if step 2 is necessary, but step 3 definitely is, even though it doesn't change the version number. Attempting to apply the KB970059 patch before installing SP2 still results in the same error.

It appears that Microsoft is not applying this patch to systems from Microsoft Update, at least when a full Office version is installed, so the link from PSI isn't helpful in this case. I also noticed that the KB970059 page claims it is appropriate for MS Office 2007 SP1, although I have SP2 installed. I don't know if this is part of the cause of the problem or not.

I hope this helps.

Ed

Was this reply relevant?
+0
RE: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Member 17th Jun, 2009 09:38
User Since: 12th Feb 2009
Hi Ed

Thanks for advice. It worked. All steps were indeed neccessary for my installation.

/Knud Henrik

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Kryskrolls RE: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Member 17th Jun, 2009 13:46
User Since: 17th Jun 2009
on 17th Jun, 2009 00:20, edstock wrote:
Deb,

I had the same problem when I tried to apply the KB970059 patch to my Microsoft Office installation. To get it to work properly, I did the following:
1. Starting at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/, I searched for PowerPoint Viewer 2007.
2. I downloaded and installed PowerPoint Viewer 2007 from one of the links. This kept the version of pptview.exe at 12.0.6414.1000.
3. I downloaded and installed PowerPoint Viewer 2007 Service Pack 2. This still kept the version at 12.0.6414.1000.
4. I downloaded and installed the patch from KB970059. Now it installed properly and updated the version of pptview.exe to 12.0.6502.5000. Secunia PSI is now happy.

I'm not sure if step 2 is necessary, but step 3 definitely is, even though it doesn't change the version number. Attempting to apply the KB970059 patch before installing SP2 still results in the same error.

It appears that Microsoft is not applying this patch to systems from Microsoft Update, at least when a full Office version is installed, so the link from PSI isn't helpful in this case. I also noticed that the KB970059 page claims it is appropriate for MS Office 2007 SP1, although I have SP2 installed. I don't know if this is part of the cause of the problem or not.

I hope this helps.

Ed

I have the same problem with PPTVIEWER.EXE (2007)!

Hotfix 970059 refuse installing on my SP2 version and apparently it is with this hotfix that some people are out. For me it says that its product does not require installation!

HELP :'(
Was this reply relevant?
+0
zappe RE: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Member 19th Jun, 2009 15:23
Score: 3
User Since: 4th Jan 2008
on 13th Jun, 2009 10:28, Maurice Joyce wrote:
Work around For PowerPoint Viewer Embedded In Microsoft Office 2007.

This work around will retain full functionality of Microsoft Office 2007 & prevent the insecurity problem highlighted by PSI.

1. Open the PATCHED tab in PSI and U should see Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 version 12.0.6500.5000 - this merely proves U have indeed got PowerPoint installed rather than the standalone Viewer.

2. Open & run Office diagnostics via Start>Microsoft Office>Microsoft Office Tools>Microsoft Office Diagnostics
This could take up to 15 minutes so time for a nice glass of wine. Running this tool will not erase any data but merely checks your installation files.

3. The tool auto corrects any problems (doubtful) so U can now remove the viewer insecurity as follows.

4.Right click on start>select Explore> navigate to Programs>Microsoft Office>Office 12>PPTVIEW.EXE (it is a 1968KB file dated 10/11/2008)

5 Right click & rename this file PPTVIEWER.EXE_OLD

Your problems are over until next time!

Works perfect!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Kryskrolls RE: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Member 19th Jun, 2009 17:46
User Since: 17th Jun 2009
Other solution.
Read this : http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/205...
It's work perfect !
Was this reply relevant?
+0
smiley0227 RE: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Member 20th Jun, 2009 01:39
User Since: 20th Jun 2009
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Jun, 2009 14:30
This thread is becoming confusing in that some links point it fixing the free Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer or installing a Compatibility Pack.

These items are not required for users who have purchased MICROSOFT OFFICE 2007 which this post is all about.

As previously explained the only reason the Office suite has the PPTVIEW file embedded is to facilitate the option to use it when the PUBLISH & PACKAGE TO CD command is evoked.

Office Suite users have 3 options:
1. Rename the insecure file - details are at 1. below. This will remove the insecurity.
2. Wait for Microsoft to produce a proper update for Office users. On my last contact they were at the "Whoops" stage so do not hold your breath!!
3. If U are a regular user of the PUBLISH & PACKAGE TO CD command carry out a self help work around.

WORK AROUND.
I apologise for the length of the work around. Hopefully it will result in the most novice user being able to update their expensive Office Suite to full unlimited functionality.

Here we go!

1. If U have not previously renamed the offending PowerPoint file from my previous post U should do that now as follows:
2.Click START>select RUN>copy & paste this into the box - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Microsoft Office\Office12 - now click OK.
3. From the window that opens scroll down & look for a file called PPTVIEW.EXE - Right click on it & RENAME it PPTVIEW.EXE_OLD
4. Close all open windows.

The insecurity reported by PSI has been removed.

INSTALLING THE UPDATED FILE.(ONLY REQUIRED IF U USE THE PUBLISH & PACKAGE TO CD COMMAND)

1.Download this file and SAVE to DESKTOP - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?fa...
2. Those without Winzip Professional installed need to download & install this programme: http://www.filehippo.com/download_7-zip/
3. Once 7Zip is installed Right click on the Microsoft downloaded file on the desktop>scroll down to 7Zip and select OPEN ARCHIVE
4. A window will open - Look for this file PPTVIEW MSP
5. Right click on it>scroll down to 7Zip and select OPEN INSIDE - once complete look for the file PATCH_CAB near the bottom of the page.
6. Right click on PATCH_CAB>scroll down to 7Zip and select OPEN - a separate window will open showing the file PPTVIEW_0001 - this is the file U want to patch your Office set up.
7. Right click on file PPTVIEW_0001 - select COPY TO - a box will appear - copy & paste this into the "Copy To" box - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ then click OK (Nothing appears to happen but keep the faith)
8. Close all open windows.

COMPLETING THE UPDATE.

1.Click START>select RUN>copy & paste this into the box - C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Microsoft Office\Office12
2. Scroll & look for 2 files:
PPTVIEW.EXE_0001 dated 28/3/2009
PPTVIEW.EXE_OLD dated 10/11/2008
3.Right Click on the PPTVIEW.EXE_0001 file>select RENAME & rename it PPTVIEW.EXE (The icon will change to reflect it is a Microsoft active file)
4.Right Click on PPTVIEW.EXE_OLD and select DELETE.

Your Microsoft Office 2007 is now secure & fully functional.

U can now remove the Microsoft downloaded file from the desktop & uninstall 7Zip via Add/Remove if no longer required.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
smiley0227 RE: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Member 20th Jun, 2009 14:56
User Since: 20th Jun 2009
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 20th Jun, 2009 14:59
Eric,
On this issue U are 100% - absolute shambles - I feel sorry for the novice user who have paid a great deal of money for this programme.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 30th Jun, 2009 10:43
@BTINAZ

The PPTVIEW file in all office Powerpoints has a serious flaw which Microsoft have not patched correctly.

U will see above my lengthy explanation about the PPTVIEW file. The same rules apply for Office 2003. If U have a FULL version of Office Powerpoint installed U do NOT require the standalone viewer nor do U require the embedded PPTVIEW file in Office 2003 because U have stated U do not make PP presentations therefore would not evoke the command PACKAGE TO CD.

U can read presentations perfectly without the file PPTVIEW.

I also note U are trying to clear up insecurities from a backup drive. Provided this drive is only used for back up or contains an OEM backup version of Windows that is not necessary. Just create an ignore rule as follows:
Creating an IGNORE RULE

Click on the SETTINGS tab>scroll to the bottom & click on CREATE IGNORE RULE

In the RULE NAME BOX insert something like MY BACKUP DRIVE

In the RULE BOX type D:\ (or the drive letter U wish to ignore)

Click SAVE IGNORE RULE>CLOSE

The drive will continue to be scanned by default but the result will not be published.

The same rule applies if your PC has an i386 folder. This folder can also be ignored.

Hope this clarifies it all for U.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
BTINAZ RE: MS reply, pptview.exe problem - ur thoughts?
Member 30th Jun, 2009 20:46
Score: 1
User Since: 1st Mar 2009
I think I understand [(please correct me if I am wrong)/b]. Since I have the current patched version on my c:\ drive (as well as the backup of the installation file), the other files could be deleted safely. Only two files on my C:\ were insecure: the powerpoint and a QuickTimePlayer. The PPTVIEW.EXE is not necessary to view a powerpoint presentation, so it can be deleted safely.
I know this is not the correct forum, but I did post elsewhere but haven't gotten any response. If I could only find out why I can't install the MSSQL Server 2005 files that MS keeps telling me I need, I might be happy...the installs have failed five times.
FYI-I use my external drive to back up files as well as images to use in case a restoration is necessary. In fact, now that I can safely delete the removed files, I'm about to make an updated image.
I've had multiple issues with failures of backup media and crashed PC's, so it may be overkill; but I back up to 2 USB drives, the external drive, and the second of my internal hard drives (which is larger than the original 80GB drive that came with the PC).
You are the only person who has provided any tangible answers to my questions, so I thank you very much for your guidance.

--
HP Core 2 Duo; WIN XP Pro; NIS2009
Secunia score: 100%
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 30th Jun, 2009 23:54
U are correct - delete all reference to PPTVIEW.
Create an ignore rule for all your external back up drives.

I will respond shortly once I have investigated SQL Server 2005

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.