Forum Thread: Adobe Flash CS3 - False positive?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
motty Adobe Flash CS3 - False positive?
Member 12th Jun, 2009 21:51
Ranking: -37
User Since: 12th Jun, 2009
System Score: N/A

--
my music: http://www.fromabrokenheart.com

ScottVS RE: Adobe Flash CS3 - False positive?
Member 13th Jun, 2009 00:59
Score: 0
User Since: 19th Dec 2008
Last edited on 13th Jun, 2009 00:59
Was this reply relevant?
+0
ottchris-primary RE: Adobe Flash CS3 - False positive?
Member 13th Jun, 2009 01:44
Score: 5
User Since: 19th Apr 2008
on 13th Jun, 2009 00:59, ScottVS wrote:
Nick, you are not alone, I've spent way too much time attempting to find a patch for Flash CS3 (9) Professional to resolve this alert.

It appears that all of the fuss is over the Flash Player problems that have been around forever, not sure why all of a sudden PSI is alerting on the flash.exe executable.

Scott

I still have CS3 on backup machine (normally use CS4 on primary machine). Although it does not clear the PSI alert for the flash.exe executable, the Adobe document linked from PSI "Download Solution" does contain an update for Flash Player 9 for Flash CS3 professional, same date (2/24/09) as the Flash Player 10 update for Flash CS4 Professional in the document. I think it's worth highlighting that you may need to apply that, I did, although as I said, it doesn't clear the PSI alert. The CS3 Adobe Update application hadn't updated the CS3 Flash Player; I have yet to check whether my CS4 copy of Flash Player 10 has also not been updated via CS4 Adobe Update.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
motty RE: Adobe Flash CS3 - False positive?
Member 13th Jun, 2009 09:59
Score: -37
User Since: 12th Jun 2009
on 13th Jun, 2009 01:44, ottchris-primary wrote:
PSI "Download Solution" does contain an update for Flash Player 9 for Flash CS3 professional

thanks for that. I had noticed that too and after applying there was no change in the the status of my flash.exe within PSI.

So what now? do we just live with it or do folks from Secuina follow these forums and follow up on issues?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Jun, 2009 15:46
this still appears to be an issue... Any found a resolution?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Flash CS3 - False positive?
Handling Contributor 18th Jun, 2009 21:46
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 18th Jun, 2009 21:48
@Motty
Not sure the Secunia can help any further. They have highlighted a flaw in the flash element of CS3.

The responsibility to repair that flaw is Adobe who created the Flash flaw in the first instance.

From my own experience & from reading many of the posts on this forum their record is not good at fixing anything. They appear to have moved on to CS4 & want more of your money!

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jun, 2009 01:57
on 18th Jun, 2009 21:46, Maurice Joyce wrote:
@Motty
Not sure the Secunia can help any further. They have highlighted a flaw in the flash element of CS3.

The responsibility to repair that flaw is Adobe who created the Flash flaw in the first instance.

From my own experience & from reading many of the posts on this forum their record is not good at fixing anything. They appear to have moved on to CS4 & want more of your money!

"This page displays programs that the Secunia PSI has detected on your computer for which there are known security updates available."

That is a quote from the PSI "Insecure Programs" page. There are highlighted security flaws in programs on both the 'Insecure' and 'Patched' pages as indicated in the "Threat Rating" column. I think the query being raised under this topic is that PSI is indicating the existance of a patched CS3 Flash executable for which no other evidence of its existance can be found even at the Adobe locations referenced in the PSI entry.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jun, 2009 10:22
but the Senuia advisory says there is a vulnerability in the Flash Player yet is highlight the flash.exe as being insecure. To my knowledge flash.exe is NOT the Flash Player executable but the main Flash authoring executable. I have a bunch of Flash Player executables in various locations all listed as secure (10.0.22.87).

No where in the Secunia advisory or on the Adobe main it points to mentions the main flash authoring exe as being insecure. I think Secunia have marked the wrong exe as being insecure...

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
motty RESOLVED - Adobe Flash CS3 - False positive?
Member 19th Jun, 2009 11:31
I've been emailing Secunia support about this and they just got back to me:

It seems there was a error in the version rule for Flash CS3. It has now been corrected. I'm sorry for the trouble

:-D

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jun, 2009 12:23
on 19th Jun, 2009 11:31, motty wrote:
I've been emailing Secunia support about this and they just got back to me:

It seems there was a error in the version rule for Flash CS3. It has now been corrected. I'm sorry for the trouble

:-D

That's good but it does beg the question 'what is the correct procedure for reporting problems?'. Post here? Email Secunia support? Both?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Flash CS3 - False positive?
Handling Contributor 19th Jun, 2009 17:48
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
For errors U should contact support. Details here:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 19th Jun, 2009 19:08
on 19th Jun, 2009 17:48, Maurice Joyce wrote:
For errors U should contact support. Details here:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal...

Thanks for that. Looks like the FAQ needs updating!

"For all feature requests or error inquiries, please submit all suggestions to support@secunia.com, or click on the "Tell us what you think" task (in PSI BETA) or "Feedback" tab (in PSI RC-1) to submit your suggestion via online form. In addition, for error inquiries, please send all relevant details (including screenshots, whenever possible) to support@secunia.com."

Neither the current production or beta PSI's would appear contain the above reporting options, just a form for reporting program candidates. That lack of an integral error reporting facility and the following text from the forums page within PSI, is why I reported observations here:

"Secunia staff is monitoring the forum and we are, as many of our users, happy to assist with answers and suggestions to your problems.

We generally recommend all users to ask questions directly in the forum. This enables all users to learn from the solutions you find."

Contradictory instructions? Guess I'll have to email a copy of all the above to support!

Chris

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
seguridad2000 RE: Adobe Flash CS3 - False positive?
Member 14th Feb, 2010 20:45
Score: 0
User Since: 14th Feb 2010
I'm still getting this false positive with Adobe CS3 flash.exe. Anyone else? I thought Secunia had addressed this
Was this reply relevant?
+0
highstream RE: Adobe Flash CS3 - False positive?
Member 15th Feb, 2010 00:05
Score: 6
User Since: 19th Dec 2007
Yep, as of this afternoon, 14 Feb, same deal. And not just for CS3, but Adobe Flash Player 10's Flash10d.ocx file is showing as insecure, as is NPSWF32_back.dll in Opera 10.50b but the same exact file shows ok in 10.10 (I copied it over just to be sure).
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.