Forum Thread: Adobe Reader 9.2

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Acrobat 9.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
gingem Adobe Reader 9.2
Member 8th Aug, 2009 19:18
Ranking: 0
User Since: 3rd Jan, 2008
System Score: N/A
Secunia now reports Adobe reader is supposed to be 9.2! I have all of the latest updates and by Adobe's website there is no 9.2 version. I have 2 systems that are showing this problem only!

hpmarsh RE: Adobe Reader 9.2
Member 9th Aug, 2009 23:25
Score: 0
User Since: 25th Jun 2009
The latest patch is Adobe Reader 9.3 The easy way to get it is to open Adobe Reader, click on "help" and then on "check for updates"

If you are using 9.1 you have to update to 9.2 first and then 9.3.

I notice on the Adobe website that they don't recommend having older versions of their software along with newer ones. They suggest removing older ones (e.g. Adobe Reader 8.0) before installing new ones.

After I upgraded from 9.2 to 9.3 and rebooted and ran the Secunia scan again I have "no insecure programs".
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gingem RE: Adobe Reader 9.2
Member 10th Aug, 2009 17:15
User Since: 3rd Jan 2008
I have 9.1.3 updated and it still says that 9.2! not 9.1.2 is the latest version. I have uninsalled, installed, and updated. I have the same problem only on 2 systems that have CS4 installed on them.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Adobe Reader 9.2
Member 10th Aug, 2009 19:01
That is one of the ongoing annoyances of PSI, it cannot detect Adobe Reader correctly. Version 9.2 does not exist, the latest version is 9.1.3, but updating an installation of Adobe Reader will not get detected. You have to uninstall the program and reinstall the new version in order for PSI to find it properly.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gingem2 RE: Adobe Reader 9.2
Member 10th Aug, 2009 19:13
User Since: 2nd Sep 2008
Okay I found the solution. Don't ask me why this solved the problem? After you do all of the upgrades to get to 9.1.3, download the activex update for Adobe Flash and install that. This solves the problem! Makes no sense but it works.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MaritimeRider RE: Adobe Reader 9.2
Member 10th Aug, 2009 19:30
Score: 22
User Since: 15th Mar 2009
Last edited on 11th Aug, 2009 01:48
I just finished reading all the replies to this question. The simpliest and easiest means of correcting an issue is to look at the report Secunia sends and look to the top right side. You will see Secunia icons.
If you mouse over each one you will see>program needs patching, update etc.
Do this for any insecurity listed.
Click on the appropriate action and rescan when finished.
Secunia does all the work so no reason to open any other windows. Don't make extra un-necessary work for yourself.
I use this method after discovering that Adobe is finicky and makes it necessary to download from their site. Secunia makes it easier to do this with one click of the mouse .
If having a problem, posting in the forum will help or if already answered,view previous posts for similar issues.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Hilton RE: Adobe Reader 9.2
Member 12th Aug, 2009 17:23
User Since: 12th Nov 2008
It not only detects Adobe Reader incorrectly, but Mozilla Firefox as well. Both these programs on my PC are completely up-to-date, but PSI doesn't think so.

It also duplicates many entries - why ?

It lists eleven programs which, even after taking advice from many contributors of this forum, still cannot be removed or updated.

I currently have a score of 89% and none of the many things I have tried improve the score. And all this after I removed/updated Adobe Flash. Before the score was always 100%.

Taking all this into account, I'm wondering if Secunia PSI is really offering me a service I can believe in. My mouse is hovering ever closer to the uninstall button !!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Aug, 2009 17:41
Do you by any chance have Adobe CS collection installed on your system? If you do the problem is that when you upgrade the Adobe flash, it only updates the one that is in the windows system32 directory. If you have any of the other pieces of the Adobe suites, it doesn't update those. If you copy the file that got updated in the system32 directory and copy it into all of the other directories it will solve the problem. I have the Complete CS4 package and I have to update 7 other directories to remove all problems.

I have been running at 100% on 2 systems on all installed software.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Aug, 2009 18:41
Yes I do have some of the CS collection, mostly based around Dreamweaver.

I'll have a go at your suggestion, but can you give me a clue as to the name of the flash file that was updated. I've hunted around but can't spot anything obvious - either by name or approximate date.

Thanks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Aug, 2009 19:33
Look at the details of the errors you see and the name of the file that is a problem is probably going to be NPSWF32.dll. The updated version will be in this folder;

c:\windows\system32\Macromed\Flash

Just go to that folder and copy the file, open Secunia and when you see the error select open folder. This will put you in the folder where the incorrect file will be, Just right click in that folder and say paste, You will get the message for replacing the file, say yes.

Do the same for each error folder. Also one of the other errors is that Flash update leaves a file called Flash10b.ocx when it does one of the latest updates. You can just delete this file. You will have to close Secunia first to do it though. This should solve all of your Adobe problems (With Secunia that is)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 12th Aug, 2009 22:10
Thanks. That's removed some from the list. Up to 93% now.

Still have to cope with Adobe Air, Reader and Flash, Firefox and Sun Java.

But now it's bedtime. Thanks again.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.