Forum Thread: Secunia PSI's impact on a good friend...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
GoneToPlaid Secunia PSI's impact on a good friend...
Member 14th Aug, 2009 07:13
Ranking: 5
User Since: 1st Apr, 2009
System Score: N/A
A couple of months ago I visited a friend to help him wipe some viruses off of his computer and then to install some good antivirus, firewall, and antimalware software packages. I also installed Secunia PSI. Well, after my buddy has been using Secunia PSI for a while, he has become very security conscious about the software running on his computer. He now religiously updates any software which PSI reports as insecure. He dumped Adobe products and installed an alternative PDF reader and an alternative Flash player. Well, he is happy as a lark since his business computer hasn't had any problems now for two months. The other day I asked him what he thought of PSI. He said is the best d#mned program he ever let me install on his computer!

I am not making this story up. Just thought that I would pass it along.

bjm__ RE: Secunia PSI's impact on a good friend...
Member 14th Aug, 2009 08:41
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
Last edited on 14th Aug, 2009 08:50
Hi GoneToPlaid

Great story!
What is the alternative to Adobe Flash Player and where do I sign up.

Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Slamgeden RE: Secunia PSI's impact on a good friend...
Member 14th Aug, 2009 11:08
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
on 14th Aug, 2009 08:41, bjm__ wrote:

What is the alternative to Adobe Flash Player and where do I sign up.

Sumatra PDF is great, light, and Open Source!

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 14th Aug, 2009 18:55
Last edited on 14th Aug, 2009 19:04
Hi Slamegeden,

I've been using Foxit Reader for my PDF reader and thrilled I finally dumped Adobe Reader. I assume Sumatra PDF is a PDF reader. Appreciate the suggestion. I like open source apps. So, I will take a look see. I was curious about the Adobe Flash Player alternative that BornToPlaid mentioned in the story. Any suggestions for an alternative Flash Player? I'd like my System to be Adobe app free.

Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
MomsHugs RE: Secunia PSI's impact on a good friend...
Member 15th Aug, 2009 00:05
Score: 0
User Since: 8th Feb 2009
I'd like to dump Adobe, too, but PCWorld's latest review of Foxit Reader had issues interfering with updates. Apparently Foxit has 3rd-party contracts to carry their SW when dl'g updates. Updating then requires time & attention to strip away before updating. Anyone here have a problem with updating?

I'll look into the opensource reader Plaid's friend has instead.

Plaid: can you post links to both reader & flash?

Much appreciated... thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Aug, 2009 00:26
MomsHugs,

Thanks for the heads up on Foxit. As a recent convert I have not had any issues. I held out loyal to the Adobe brand (not sure why) until the recent barrage of Adobe issues. I chose Foxit because of the recommendations posted to this Forum. Anything is better than Adobe. I read where Adobe has added a Flash component to the Reader making vulnerability updating even more ridiculous. Happy with Foxit so far. But, do prefer open source. ie: ~ Sumatra PDF. I've learned from my fun and games with Adobe...what's in a name.

Plaid: can you please post links to both reader & flash?

Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: Secunia PSI's impact on a good friend...
Member 15th Aug, 2009 05:13
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 15th Aug, 2009 05:23
F.Y.I. PLEASE BE AWARE AND TEST FOR YOUR SELVES!!! but the last time I was using Foxit(for the same reasons) I was advised via a dialogue box that OPEN OFFICE exclusively uses Adobe products now. So,if you are using Open Office.org 3.1 you may loose functionality.

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.