Forum Thread: I downloaded Firefox, what should I do with IE-8?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Microsoft
And, this specific program:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
milesr I downloaded Firefox, what should I do with IE-8?
Member 19th Aug, 2009 22:04
Ranking: 0
User Since: 23rd May, 2009
System Score: N/A
I got tired of being reminded that I have an insecure browser. I uninstalled IE-8, which left IE-7, which was not secure, either. And the next time I had Microsoft updates to install, I did and got IE-8 back.

Next I did some research on browsers and downloaded Firefox, which is secure. I now have both browsers on my computer and I wonder if there is something more that I should do.

Is there a way to inactivate IE-8?

Even if there is, would I want to inactivate IE-8?

Would creating an ignore rule for IE-8 leave a contingent risk for my computer?

Pookey RE: I downloaded Firefox, what should I do with IE-8?
Member 20th Aug, 2009 03:01
Score: 0
User Since: 19th Jun 2008
If you have Windows XP or Windows Vista, IE is ingrained in the OS and CANNOT be removed. There are utilities that let you remove it but i advise against this as they can cause unwanted side-effects. For example, you need IE for MSN Messenger, Office Web Components and it is part of the Desktop.

If you REALLY want to get rid of it, download nLite and create a new XP or Vista disc that has IE removed. This will remove all of IE except what is required for Windows to function. However you need to reinstall windows to achieve this, so it is not the ideal solution.

The best course of action is to set Firefox to the Default Browser, Update to IE8 and Install all Security Patches (by the way, the Secunia Advisory for IE is out-of-date). If you download something like Net Limiter, you will be able to block all IE traffic so there is no chance of IE being used maliciously.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
milesr RE: I downloaded Firefox, what should I do with IE-8?
Member 20th Aug, 2009 05:29
User Since: 23rd May 2009
on 20th Aug, 2009 03:01, Pookey wrote:
If you have Windows XP or Windows Vista, IE is ingrained in the OS and CANNOT be removed. There are utilities that let you remove it but i advise against this as they can cause unwanted side-effects. For example, you need IE for MSN Messenger, Office Web Components and it is part of the Desktop.

If you REALLY want to get rid of it, download nLite and create a new XP or Vista disc that has IE removed. This will remove all of IE except what is required for Windows to function. However you need to reinstall windows to achieve this, so it is not the ideal solution.

The best course of action is to set Firefox to the Default Browser, Update to IE8 and Install all Security Patches (by the way, the Secunia Advisory for IE is out-of-date). If you download something like Net Limiter, you will be able to block all IE traffic so there is no chance of IE being used maliciously.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Aug, 2009 05:51
My operating system is Vista Home Premium, so I will limit my action to suggestions in your third paragraph.

1. Fire Fox is set as my default browser.

2. Microsoft updates are automatically installed and I will continue to install IE8 updates. Another issue I have is with two other Microsoft programs that are deemed insecure. The solution for each is supposed to be at Microsoft Update, but there are no uninstalled Microsoft updates available.

3. I never heard of Net Limiter, but it sounds like something I can use.

Thank you for your help.

milesr
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Aug, 2009 09:48
What are the other Microsoft Updates that it thinks you are missing?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 20th Aug, 2009 13:16
One program is listed as MICROSOFT OFFICE POWER POINT VIEWER 2003 and the other program is listed as MICROSOFT CORE SERVICES (MSXML) 6.x.

The Secunia narrative applying to each program mentions something about backup locations, an area where I need added education. Also, I need my Power Point each week.

I plan to start new threads about each program. That will enable me to keep things simple.

Thank you,

milesr

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Aug, 2009 00:49
Please Check the MSXML Core Services one. If the exe is in C:\Program Files\ or C:\Windows\ you need to update it as it contains several recent security bugs. If the exe is located in somewhere like C:\Temp or D:\Backup or anything like that then you can ignore it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Aug, 2009 23:21
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 25th Aug, 2009 07:12
Seeing as you use Firefox (I do and i love it) there is a nifty little add-on called "IE-Tab". Go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/141... to download it.

What it does is it lets you use Firefox to browse the web, but if you really need to use IE, for example to update Windows or download a Microsoft Product, it will still use Firefox, but use the IE Engine to display the Page. This way, only the bits of IE that are essential for that page are loaded.

What you can also do, if you don't use IE very much, is to do this:

1) Open IE
2) Go to Tools -> Internet Options (its down the bottom)
3) Click on the Security Tab
4) For each of the "Zones" (Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted, etc.) Set it to the Highest Level
5) Click on the Privacy Tab
6) Set it to High

This will stop alot of the security holes in IE. The disadvantage is that it is a pain in the but if you use IE alot as many things will get turned off. The advantage is that if anything nasty tries to run, it wont be able to, or if it is able, it will need to ask your permission to execute.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Slamgeden RE: I downloaded Firefox, what should I do with IE-8?
Member 25th Aug, 2009 09:16
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
on 25th Aug, 2009 07:12, Pookey wrote:
Seeing as you use Firefox (I do and i love it) there is a nifty little add-on called "IE-Tab". Go to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/141... to download it.

What it does is it lets you use Firefox to browse the web, but if you really need to use IE, for example to update Windows or download a Microsoft Product, it will still use Firefox, but use the IE Engine to display the Page. This way, only the bits of IE that are essential for that page are loaded.

What you can also do, if you don't use IE very much, is to do this:

1) Open IE
4) For each of the "Zones" (Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted, etc.) Set it to the Highest Level
6) Set it to High

This will stop alot of the security holes in IE. The disadvantage is that it is a pain in the but if you use IE alot as many things will get turned off. The advantage is that if anything nasty tries to run, it wont be able to, or if it is able, it will need to ask your permission to execute.

I second the IE-Tab suggestion. It works well, and removes much of the need to keep IE close.
Just keep in mind that IE-Tab has every insecurity of IE, because it IS IE.

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
whatnow RE: I downloaded Firefox, what should I do with IE-8?
Member 14th Sep, 2009 00:27
User Since: 22nd Dec 2007
I agree with the IE Tab I only use it when I absolutely have to am I trust the site to be save. Plus I trust my firewall and anti-virus programs. If you are carefully and make an attempt to surf safe. You should not have a problem surfing. If you quit using every program because it shows an insecure you will not be able to use the internet.
Using PSI and keeping patches up to date puts you way ahead of most internet users. Be careful use firewalls and anti-virus but don't fear the internet enjoy using it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
csi RE: I downloaded Firefox, what should I do with IE-8?
Member 22nd Nov, 2009 14:26
Score: 7
User Since: 12th Aug 2008
Last edited on 22nd Nov, 2009 14:26
on 25th Aug, 2009 07:12, Pookey wrote:
1) Open IE
6) Set it to High

This is a very intelligent tipp, often forgotten, thank you very much! :)

--
Cebop INN, Pentium M 740, 1733 MHz, 2 GB DDR2 SO-DIMM 533MHZ, XP SP3, PSI 2.0.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
michaelsalis RE: I downloaded Firefox, what should I do with IE-8?
Member 22nd Nov, 2009 22:35
Score: 57
User Since: 18th Feb 2009
Last edited on 22nd Nov, 2009 22:36
Hi

The IE8 problem is a long standing one which rumour has it either has been or will be sorted soon.

However, saying that so long as you have a good firewall, anti virus and anti everything else software on your computer, don't visit dogdy websites and are careful opening email there is not much of a problem.

If you are not already aware pctools do a great free program called Threatfire and Iobit a program called Iobit Security 360, both you can upgrade but you may not think it worth doing so. They can be safely used with your existing anti virus program.

Have a look at the reviews from CNET

http://download.cnet.com/IObit-Security-360/3000-8...

http://download.cnet.com/ThreatFire-AntiVirus-Free...

Michael

--
Michael
Toshiba Satelite A660
Intel i7
Windows 7 Ultimate
IE9

Toshiba Equium Laptop
Intel Centrino Duo
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2
IE9
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gmarie808 RE: I downloaded Firefox, what should I do with IE-8?
Member 21st Jan, 2010 09:37
User Since: 4th Dec 2009
I tried the hardest not to get IE-8 on my desktop with the updates because I had a hard time with it on my laptop. So I too started using firefox (on my laptop) but got insecure warnings on that eventually. So finally I downloaded Chrome, which I love, unfortunately not too many websites love it as much as I do. Anywho somehow IE8 snuck in in an update and now it shows as unstable/insecure....I wonder why Microsoft hasn't put out a cure (patch) yet? It's been long enough, what are they doing with all their money-not using it on their customers it seems. I guess we just gotta wait...or download Opera...he heh.

--
1, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2 ...just around the corner, whatcha gonna do?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gmarie808 RE: I downloaded Firefox, what should I do with IE-8?
Member 21st Jan, 2010 09:38
User Since: 4th Dec 2009
Great advice, Thanks!

--
1, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2 ...just around the corner, whatcha gonna do?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Jan, 2010 10:30
Even though it is listed as insecure, the exploit may be very minor but require a large outlay in parsonnel to fix it. FOr example, if the exploit is safe when a user has a firewall, which Windows itself has by default and the estimated cost to fix the exploit is $5 million in salaries for the coders needing to fix and test the bug then it would seem like a waste of money on Microsoft's part.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
antduarte RE: I downloaded Firefox, what should I do with IE-8?
Member 22nd Jan, 2010 01:09
User Since: 6th Dec 2009
on 19th Aug, 2009 22:04, milesr wrote:
I got tired of being reminded that I have an insecure browser. I uninstalled IE-8, which left IE-7, which was not secure, either. And the next time I had Microsoft updates to install, I did and got IE-8 back.

Next I did some research on browsers and downloaded Firefox, which is secure. I now have both browsers on my computer and I wonder if there is something more that I should do.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
kjmykra RE: I downloaded Firefox, what should I do with IE-8?
Member 6th Feb, 2010 12:58
User Since: 1st Mar 2008

Was this reply relevant?
+0
kjmykra RE: I downloaded Firefox, what should I do with IE-8?
Member 6th Feb, 2010 12:58
User Since: 1st Mar 2008

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.