Forum Thread: Insecure and End of Life programs

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
mbmulla1 Insecure and End of Life programs
Member 29th Aug, 2009 09:44
Ranking: 0
User Since: 30th Oct, 2008
System Score: N/A
Secunia continues to detect the following as Insecure or End of life on my laptop.
I have Windows Vista Premium as the OS.

END OF LIFE

1. Shockwave Player 10.2.0.23 C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\SwInit.exe

2. Shockwave Player 10.2.0.23 C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\SwOnce.dll

My laptop has Shockwave Player 11.5 installed.

Is it okay to ignore all programs under the path C:\Windows\System32 ?

INSECURE

3. Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\PPTVIEW.EXE

As far as I know I have all the Microsoft patches for the above software. Incidentally, this was deemed insecure a few months back (same path) and then disappeared from the list only to re-appear today.

4. Adobe Flash Player 10.x (ActiveX Control) 10.0.22.87 C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10b.ocx

I have Adobe Flash Player 10 Activex 10.0.32.18 on my laptop.

Is there any real threat here or is it Secunia locating fragments of older versions of the software in case of 1,2 and 4 above.

In case of point 3 earlier I had tried the Secunia suggested fix but there was no change in the status.

Mehli B. Mulla.

Maurice Joyce RE: Insecure and End of Life programs
Handling Contributor 29th Aug, 2009 12:02
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 29th Aug, 2009 12:04
It is not safe to ignore any programmes listed by U.
Shockwave

Uninstaller Shockwave using this tool:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14224.html

If U want the lastest Player use the same link to reinstall a safe version.

Flash

To remove all versions of Flash from the C drive of your PC:

1. Download & use the flash Uninstaller from here:

#####Before actually running the uninstaller it is a good idea to close all browsers,PSI and any other programme U think may be using Flash #####

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

3. Rescan using PSI - if there are any insecure Flash elements left what is the path to them? U should not proceed to stage 4 until all U clear any problems found.(The PSI overview page may look a little odd because it uses Flash for the pictorials)

Note: At this stage,if PSI finds any elements of Flash in the C:\i386 folder or on any drive other than C that is an OEM reinstallation partition (normally D drive) or a drive U use solely to backup your work U can safely create an ignore rule.

4. Reinstall the latest Internet Explorer Flash Player from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/

4A.If U are also using Firefox, Opera and other Gecko-based browsers U need this link as well:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire...

5. Go to add/remove & double check Adobe have not installed the useless Adobe Download Manager - if U see an entry remove it.

Powerpoint Viewer
Are U using the standalone PowerPoint Viewer or are U talking about the viewer embedded in Microsoft Office 2007?

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Mcd73165 RE: Insecure and End of Life programs
Member 2nd Sep, 2009 21:30
Score: 8
User Since: 13th May 2009
Hi. It seems that some sites still use Shockwave 10. For example, I deleted Shockwave 10 from C:\Windows\System32\Macromed. Then I went to a shockwave test page called Macromedia Shockwave Player Test and ran the test which reinstalled Shockwave 10 files to Windows\System32\Macromed. However, only Shockwave 11 shows in Add/Remove programs.
Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Slamgeden RE: Insecure and End of Life programs
Member 3rd Sep, 2009 09:46
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
Did it automatically reinstall? Just don't allow it.

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Sep, 2009 13:47
Slamqueden, the Shockwave 10 files are installed if I run a couple of different Shockwave tests that I Googled. I can delete them if I want to but if I run those tests again they will be reinstalled. I realize that if I don't run those particular tests then Shockwave 10 won't be reinstalled. As I mentioned in my last post, Shockwave 10 does not show in Add/Remove programs, only Shockwave 11 shows. In any case I don't see it as a problem with or without Shockwave 10 files in my System32 folder.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Slamgeden RE: Insecure and End of Life programs
Member 4th Sep, 2009 08:47
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
Well, it is a security problem. But if I were you, I would be more concerned about the fact that the internet can install software on your box - rethink you security settings, or change your browser (is my suggestion).

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Sep, 2009 14:48
Last edited on 4th Sep, 2009 14:49
Slamqueden, I appreciate your advice but my security is wrapped tight and I use Firefox. Shockwave 10 is not listed as insecure but as end of life. I can delete the Shockwave 10 folder with no problem. It's just 2 particular Shockwave tests that put some Shockwave 10 files back to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed. The Shockwave 11 files are in C:\Windows System32\Adobe. If you want to, Google "test shockwave player" and click on the link that says Macromedia Shockwave Player Test. You should see an animation of a car and background music. When you're finished check for the folder C:\Windows|System32\Macromed which will be the location for Shockwave 10. I don't think it's likely that this is only happening to me. But of course, stranger things have happened in the computer world.
Mark
Was this reply relevant?
+0
86Redbird RE: Insecure and End of Life programs
Member 5th Sep, 2009 23:34
Score: 3
User Since: 21st Aug 2009
on 29th Aug, 2009 09:44, mbmulla1 wrote:
Secunia continues to detect the following as Insecure or End of life on my laptop.
I have Windows Vista Premium as the OS.

END OF LIFE

1. Shockwave Player 10.2.0.23 C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\SwInit.exe

2. Shockwave Player 10.2.0.23 C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\SwOnce.dll

My laptop has Shockwave Player 11.5 installed.

Is it okay to ignore all programs under the path C:\Windows\System32 ?

INSECURE

3. Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\PPTVIEW.EXE

As far as I know I have all the Microsoft patches for the above software. Incidentally, this was deemed insecure a few months back (same path) and then disappeared from the list only to re-appear today.

4. Adobe Flash Player 10.x (ActiveX Control) 10.0.22.87 C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10b.ocx

I have Adobe Flash Player 10 Activex 10.0.32.18 on my laptop.

Is there any real threat here or is it Secunia locating fragments of older versions of the software in case of 1,2 and 4 above.

In case of point 3 earlier I had tried the Secunia suggested fix but there was no change in the status.

Mehli B. Mulla.

--
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
Service Pack 1
AMD Athlon II X2 250
IE 11
8 GB Ram
Secunia PSI 3.0 v 3.0.0.11005

Was this reply relevant?
+0
bjm__ RE: Insecure and End of Life programs
Member 6th Sep, 2009 00:40
Score: 64
User Since: 9th Mar 2009
Last edited on 6th Sep, 2009 08:12
Hello lovebirds66

Did you run Shockwave Player Uninstaller

Did you run Flash Player Uninstaller

You can ignore or remove old version dross/remnants as per proper procedures..

Your call
Post back as required

Regards
bjm-
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.