Forum Thread: error message, "Unable to locate an appropriate web browser for t...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
herselfdb error message, "Unable to locate an appropriate web browser for the requested URL"
Member 31st Aug, 2009 00:04
Ranking: 0
User Since: 3rd Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
I continue to get the error message, "Unable to locate an appropriate web browser for the requested URL" when I try and click on a fix. I have just installed the newest PSI update to see if this will repair the problem. It didn't. I now get the message, "The link you are trying to open required Internet Explorer to function correctly and will therefore not use your default browser". My default Browser is IE but it is the updated version. Is there a conflict with Secunia and the latest IE? I therefore can't patch any program.

Slamgeden RE: error message, "Unable to locate an appropriate web browser for the requested URL"
Member 31st Aug, 2009 09:02
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
Are you on vista? If so, please go set IE to be your default browser, and try again, EVEN if it's the default the browser.

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
herselfdb RE: error message, "Unable to locate an appropriate web browser for the requested URL"
Member 31st Aug, 2009 21:34
Score: 0
User Since: 3rd Jan 2009
I did go to IE and checked my settings. I do have IE checked as my default browser. I even unchecked it and checked it again. I am using Vista as it was pre installed on my laptop when I bought it. Along with that error message I am getting the following message when I click OK on the above error message. "An error occurred when trying to open the specified URL." I am trying to download an update for Adobe acrobat 7.0 (which I still Use)and Flash Player 10.x
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: error message, "Unable to locate an appropriate web browser for the requested URL"
Handling Contributor 31st Aug, 2009 23:12
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Try this:
Secunia PSI needs to be able to connect to Secunia servers to complete its scanning. However, if you have configured the security settings of your Internet Explorer, the Secunia PSI may be prevented from getting the scan results. To receive your scan results, you need to do some changes to your Internet options.
To do this:
a. Open Internet Explorer.
b. Go to Tools>Internet Options>Security tab.
c. Select the Internet zone and click on the Custom Level button.
d. In Security Settings, go to the Scripting>Active Scripting option.
e. Make sure that Active Scripting is Enabled (rather than Disabled or Prompted).
f. Press OK then Yes.
g. Back in the Security tab, select the Trusted sites zone and click on the Sites button.
h. Look at the bottom of the page and take the tick from the box marked"Require server verification(HTTPS)for all site zones" then type in the following and press the Add button to add them to the Trusted Zone Sites list:
http:*.secunia.com
https:*.secunia.com
i. Press Close
j. Run the Secunia PSI again to view the scan results

If using a browser other than IE the settings can be accessed by clicking Start-Control Panel-Internet Options-then follow C. to J.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.