Forum Thread: Explores constantly demands PSI access to web

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Rich222 Explores constantly demands PSI access to web
Member 31st Aug, 2009 23:20
Ranking: 0
User Since: 31st Aug, 2009
System Score: N/A
How do I stop Explorer from launching PSI.exe access to web?
TIA for help!

Slamgeden RE: Explores constantly demands PSI access to web
Member 1st Sep, 2009 09:10
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
what are you trying to do? That posts makes little sense.
The PSI needs IE sometimes. It that what you're trying to stop?

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Rich222 RE: Explores constantly demands PSI access to web
Member 2nd Sep, 2009 03:14
User Since: 31st Aug 2009
Slamgeden: Tx for request for more details. My Integrated Security Suite (G Data) repeatedly traps a request to access the internet and provides the following report:
"Outbound connection [request]; Application: psi.exe;
Started by EXPLORER.EXE; Protocol: TCP; Port: https (443); IP Address: psi.secunia.com"
I could have asked a lot of questions, like why is Explorer launching psi, etc. An understanding would be nice, but I'll settle for stopping this frequent disruption and apparently unnecessary "Chinese Fire Drill."

Thus, my question was/is how do I stop this insanity?

TIA/Rich222
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Sep, 2009 08:57
on 2nd Sep, 2009 03:14, Rich222 wrote:
Slamgeden: Tx for request for more details. My Integrated Security Suite (G Data) repeatedly traps a request to access the internet and provides the following report:
Started by EXPLORER.EXE; Protocol: TCP; Port: https (443); IP Address: psi.secunia.com"
I could have asked a lot of questions, like why is Explorer launching psi, etc. An understanding would be nice, but I'll settle for stopping this frequent disruption and apparently unnecessary "Chinese Fire Drill."

TIA/Rich222

IE isn't using the PSI, it's the other way around.

This is how the PSI accesses the net. Allow it all! Also, add the address https://psi.secunia.com to the trusted zone in IE.

Trust me, it's necessary for the PSI to work. It connects to the server on every scan.

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Sep, 2009 16:14
Tx for info. Will try it as suggested.
Rich222
Was this reply relevant?
+0
LazerFX RE: Explores constantly demands PSI access to web
Member 4th Sep, 2009 01:11
User Since: 17th Sep 2008
on 2nd Sep, 2009 03:14, Rich222 wrote:

TIA/Rich222

Eh - Explorer.exe is not Internet Explorer (That's iexplore.exe). It's Windows Explorer - the Windows Front End. Anything that is launched on the system through the Start Menu or from a file window is launched by Explorer...

So, when you click on Secunia PSI, or when it start automatically on the system, Explorer (The Windows 'interface') is counted as launching it.

The out-bound connection requestion means that the application (Secunia PSI, in this case) is trying to connect to the internet - This is because it's attempting to do a scan of insecure files, and to do the scan it needs an up-to-date list of what files are secure and what aren't.

The reassuring thing is it's using HTTPS (TCP 443) to connect - the 'S' at the end of the HTTPS stands for 'secure', and gives you the same confidence you have when attempting to connect to your bank, or to purchase things online - only with HTTPS is it encrypted.

Finally, it says that its loading psi.secunia.com, which is a reasonable request as the application is called Secunia PSI :D

Hope this bit of extra detail helps you not just with this application, but all applications triggered by your slightly-over-zealous application firewall.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Sep, 2009 06:01
Last edited on 4th Sep, 2009 06:06
LazerFX:

Tx for all of the background . . . you were most helpful. Obviously, I did not have the details, like the role of Explorer.exe or how psi goes for latest data on every event (rather than some schedule update). That's more aggressive than my nit-picking security suite.

I did note, with surprise, that "they" were using a secure link.

Regards/Rick
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Sep, 2009 10:08
on 4th Sep, 2009 01:11, LazerFX wrote:

The reassuring thing is it's using HTTPS (TCP 443) to connect - the 'S' at the end of the HTTPS stands for 'secure', and gives you the same confidence you have when attempting to connect to your bank, or to purchase things online - only with HTTPS is it encrypted.

Thanks for the correction, you're correct. I thought it was iexplorer.exe -

Another thing though. using HTTPS (SSL) doesn't automatically make you secure. Security is a process, and many, many things have to be considered. Using crypto doesn't defend one against cracker attacks. Only well-written software and defense-in-dept measures can effectively secure an application. Look at the banner at the top - Secunia is hiring "Secure Programmers", because they care about security, and seem to be doing good - not a single exploit.

Adobe's constant holes is proof of how important little things can be.

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.