Forum Thread: opening PSI without internet connection

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
OSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
erniejay opening PSI without internet connection
Member 9th Sep, 2009 00:21
Ranking: 0
User Since: 2nd Jun, 2008
System Score: N/A
I've used PSI for some time and am very happy with it. I also am recommeding it to students in my retirement community computer class, which I teach as a volunteer. My lectures are done from my notebook computer and a projector. Unfortunately they are in a location that does not have internet service. Today I was going to demonstrate the PSI screens when I found that I could not open the interface without an internet connection, which was a big surprise to me. I don't see any reason to prevent the interface from opening without an internet connection even though, obviously I could not demonstrate the action. I think the interface should open with a warning of no internet connection and should show the lists of insafe programs and their associated icons for updating etc.

Maurice Joyce RE: opening PSI without internet connection
Handling Contributor 9th Sep, 2009 00:42
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 9th Sep, 2009 00:49
OSI & PSI must check your PC against their database. How could that be possible without an internet connection?

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Slamgeden RE: opening PSI without internet connection
Member 9th Sep, 2009 10:23
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
If you follow the scan progress, you'll note how many times the PSI accesses the net. Scanning without a net connection is pointless and futile.

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
erniejay RE: opening PSI without internet connection
Member 9th Sep, 2009 22:42
User Since: 2nd Jun 2008
Thanks for your comment. It's obvious that the database can't be checked without being online. However, when my laptop is in a location where no interent service is available, I should still be able to look at my list of insecure programs and remove any. I think that the interface should open even without an internet connection and should simply show a warning to that effect. I'm disappointed that Secunia chose to block the entire program if there is no internet connection and I'm suggesting that this should be changed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: opening PSI without internet connection
Member 10th Sep, 2009 10:23
By design, the user interface is downloaded every time the Secunia PSI is
started. Therefore, it is required for the Secunia PSI to have an
Internet connection available in order to launch.

However, if you unplug the Internet connection after successfully
launching the Secunia PSI, you should be able to keep the user interface
open, even if the Internet connection is removed, though it naturally
cannot scan without connectivity to Secunia servers.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
erniejay RE: opening PSI without internet connection
Member 11th Sep, 2009 00:09
User Since: 2nd Jun 2008
Thanks for the reply but I don't see the sense in having to download the interface every time PSI launches. That causes a lot of extra web traffic, load on your servers and startup time for my computer. I can imagine what would happen if all my apps downoaded at startup.

To solve my problem of demonstrating Secunia to my students without an internet connection, I will have to make a movie of my screen. Anyway, thanks for your help but I wish Secunia would change their mind about needing to download the interface at every startup.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.