Forum Thread: Possible false positive on Windows XP Professional SP3

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Bedrock Possible false positive on Windows XP Professional SP3
Member 11th Sep, 2009 15:03
Ranking: 0
User Since: 12th Feb, 2009
System Score: N/A
I am running PSI V1.5.0.0. I am running XP Pro SP3.

I got an indication in the past few days that my windows XP SP3 program has an exposure to a security threat. PSI recommended I run Microsoft's Microsoft Update. I did that. The update told me that I didn't have WGA for office installed and that I needed a window's defender update.

Most folks suggest avoiding WGA updates, so I have and will continue to. I installed the windows defender update.

Then I rescanned. and I still show Windows XP Professional as insecure. Am I missing something??

Thanks

This user no longer exists RE: Possible false positive on Windows XP Professional SP3
Member 11th Sep, 2009 16:31
I see no reason to deny WGA updates unless you are running pirated Windows components:
Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is an anti-piracy system created by Microsoft that enforces online validation of the licensing of several recent Microsoft Windows operating systems when accessing several services, such as Windows Update, and downloading Windows components from the Microsoft Download Center.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advan...
Was this reply relevant?
+0
one1string RE: Possible false positive on Windows XP Professional SP3
Member 11th Sep, 2009 16:54
Score: 0
User Since: 30th Mar 2009
I see a false positive also... I have all high priority fixes on, except IE8 (which I blocked with mSoft tool). No silverlight, no live but they are not High Priority (and I don't need them....). Office 2007 is installed, and up to date also (I use mSoft update vs windows update).

Could this be IE8 is missing? PSI should NOT flag missing IE8 as a problem, if I put it on I would have problems with two 3rd party appls, so I cannot install it, even if mSoft says its High Priority. Besides, I use Firefox for most web access. (IE7 is up to date on fixes.)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Possible false positive on Windows XP Professional SP3
Member 11th Sep, 2009 17:20
Last edited on 11th Sep, 2009 17:22 mSoft update vs windows update they are the same.

What are the two 3rd party appls you would have problems with?

All of Windows uses IE even Windows Explorer and whatever you see on Windows so I would rather have IE8 on my system as it is more secure than IE7.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
one1string RE: Possible false positive on Windows XP Professional SP3
Member 11th Sep, 2009 22:21
Score: 0
User Since: 30th Mar 2009
YoKenny: you might want to investigate a few things before you post.
Pls see this OLD url http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/micros... It explains the difference between the two mSoft update services.

as far as IE8, it was optional and still is if you have the mSoft provided patch (regedit) on. I don't use IE much.

Point of the thread is "Secunia, does your PSI product flag XP SP3 because of missing IE8?" That's all I want to know.

I have seen some noise about PRIVACY and WGA (that is WGA is another chip in your privacy), but I have installed it anyway. I use my Mac for Real Important things (like banking), and there is always Linux with Firefox. The marketing folks at mSoft want you to forget the alternatives. All 3 have their place, as well as UNIX and its related systems.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
RxDdude RE: Possible false positive on Windows XP Professional SP3
Member 18th Sep, 2009 02:42
Score: 4
User Since: 20th Aug 2009

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Sep, 2009 06:54
Was this reply relevant?
+0
RxDdude RE: Possible false positive on Windows XP Professional SP3
Member 18th Sep, 2009 07:54
Score: 4
User Since: 20th Aug 2009
Last edited on 18th Sep, 2009 07:56

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0