Forum Thread: Adobe Reader update

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

This thread has been marked as locked.
Kiteman Adobe Reader update
Member 24th Sep, 2009 02:33
Ranking: 0
User Since: 24th Sep, 2009
System Score: N/A
I am having a problem updating my Adobe Reader.

My Add/Remove program says I have Adobe Reader 9.1

The Secunia PSI scan tells me it's 'Insecure' and that I have version 9.0.155.0

The file path #using Open Folder# says:
Installation Path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

I have tried to download and install all of the updates after this version and when I click Download solution and click on any of the updates I get the "Proceed to Download" screen. When I click that, I get the "Download Now" screen.

When I click the "Open" box I get a "Paint Shop Pro 7" information box that says "this is not a valid MSP file". I have the option to 'save' it and if I save it to my desktop and open it from there, My Paint Shop Pro 7 opens and I get the same "Not a valid MSP file" message.

I have (through Add/Remove Programs) uninstalled the Adobe Reader twice and reinstalled it twice, but the same problem happens.... anyone know what's happening here and can help me get the Reader installed/updated?

Thanks..... Kiteman (I'm not use to using forums so forgive me if I've 'rambled' or forgot to include info.)

This user no longer exists RE: Adobe Reader update
Member 24th Sep, 2009 03:01
Welcome Kiteman

You need to go to the ADVANCED menu then Insecure Programs then select + to Open Folder to the insecure file location then delete the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9 Folder.

Adobe Reader has become the latest favorite of the malware purveyors and is under constant attack and I would remove all Adobe Reader from the system and get Foxit Reader as it is much safer:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_foxit

Run the install application then select Custom then Next then un-select Desktop shortcut, Quick Launch Toolbar and Firefox plugin if you don't have Firefox then Next then Install then un-select Foxit Toolbar and Ask.com default search then Next then un-select Create desktop eBay, quick launch
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Kiteman RE: Adobe Reader update
Member 24th Sep, 2009 21:42
Score: 0
User Since: 24th Sep 2009
System Score: N/A
Thanks YoKenny for the info. This is the second time I've been told about Foxit, so now I think it's time to make the switch. If I encounter any problems with it, I'll be back!

Thanks again.......... Kiteman
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Adobe Reader update
Member 25th Sep, 2009 00:13
Go to Add/Remove Programs and un-install Ask.com Toolbar as it may sneak in even if you choose that you do not want it.

Read carefully:
Why I Flushed Foxit
http://www.vitalsecurity.org/2009/05/why-i-flushed...
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.