Forum Thread: Scheduled Full System Scan

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
bywaterboy Scheduled Full System Scan
Member 29th Sep, 2009 08:08
Ranking: 0
User Since: 28th Jan, 2009
System Score: N/A
What does Secunia PSI mean "The next scheduled full system scan is on 6 Oct. 2009, 7:46". I noticed this while in the "Advanced Interface Mode" under "Last & Next Full System Scan". Is this date a recommendation or is Secunia running scans that I'm not aware of?

--
bywaterboy

Slamgeden RE: Scheduled Full System Scan
Member 29th Sep, 2009 08:32
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
The PSI autoscans every week. +1 hour for weird timezones. ;)

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bywaterboy RE: Scheduled Full System Scan
Member 30th Sep, 2009 05:42
User Since: 28th Jan 2009
Thanks Slamgeden,

Now, since you were aware of the scheduled scan, do you also know if and how this scan affects your computer while it's scanning? Does the PSI scan cause your computer's security program to engage and what name does it run under? I ask because sometimes I've noticed "explorer.exe" running in the task manager when I had nothing scheduled to scan or run. Lots of questions, but any answers are appreciated. Thanks again.

--
bywaterboy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 30th Sep, 2009 09:10
on 30th Sep, 2009 05:42, bywaterboy wrote:
Thanks Slamgeden,

Now, since you were aware of the scheduled scan, do you also know if and how this scan affects your computer while it's scanning? Does the PSI scan cause your computer's security program to engage and what name does it run under? I ask because sometimes I've noticed "explorer.exe" running in the task manager when I had nothing scheduled to scan or run. Lots of questions, but any answers are appreciated. Thanks again.

The PSI isn't messing with anything. It's a non-intrusive scanner, unlike other vuln scanners (That try the hacks against you machine. The PSI, being non-intrusive, doesn't do this, but check version numbers).
"explorer.exe" could be anything. Actually, I think it's just Win Explorer running all the time, but I CBA to check.

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Scheduled Full System Scan
Member 30th Sep, 2009 10:11
on 30th Sep, 2009 05:42, bywaterboy wrote:
Thanks Slamgeden,

Have a read about explorer.exe as it is fundamental to Windows operation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer

When the files are scanned the anti virus application will check the file for infection but that is normal and causes no performance problems and it runs under psi.exe as far as I can determine.

Slamgeden, I have no idea what CBA means.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Oct, 2009 08:59
on 30th Sep, 2009 10:11, wrote:

Slamgeden, I have no idea what CBA means.

Can't be arsed. ;)

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Oct, 2009 21:56
on 1st Oct, 2009 08:59, Slamgeden wrote:
Can't be arsed. ;)

Oh you mean that you can't be bothered to find out?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Oct, 2009 23:44

--
bywaterboy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 1st Oct, 2009 23:46

--
bywaterboy
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Oct, 2009 02:28
I'm not a fan of Webroot Spy Sweeper but I do not know what other security applications on your system so it would help to know what you are using.

I put all of that information in my signature so that it helps others determine what works for me.

Go to Secunia Profile then check My settings for settings then update Signature with your system configuration.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.