Forum Thread: insecure 10.0.22.87 10b.ocx

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
Programs

Relating to this vendor:
Adobe Systems
And, this specific program:
Adobe Flash Player 10.x

This thread has been marked as locked.
wronginfo insecure 10.0.22.87 10b.ocx
Member 2nd Oct, 2009 04:55
Ranking: 1
User Since: 15th Apr, 2009
System Score: N/A
I have version 10.0.32.18 successfully installed on my computer which receives a secure status on the OSI scan. 10c.ocx

However it points to 10.0.22.87 with Flash 10b.ocx as my insecure version. When I go to the search, under start, I cannot find it in windows 32, but if I enter 10b.ocx in the search it comes up and if I right click on it an option to delete it is listed. Can I safely do that from there? I also get an insecure status when I run the PSI scan and I am hoping it is the same error indicated by OSI.

Maurice Joyce RE: insecure 10.0.22.87 10b.ocx
Handling Contributor 2nd Oct, 2009 09:22
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
U should find the offending file in here:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10b.ocx

Reboot - Straight after the reboot navigate to the file - right click & delete it.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
wronginfo RE: insecure 10.0.22.87 10b.ocx
Member 2nd Oct, 2009 11:20
Score: 1
User Since: 15th Apr 2009
My Secunia scan pointed that out so that was the first thing I did, searching all files and folders and it found nothing. When I enter flash10b.ocx for the search the folder does come up, but I cannot find it when I go to my program files. In my program files for WINDOWS I only find 3 folders and none of them contain the icon that look like a pair of gears, one yellow and one green. One folder says media connection, one media NT, and the other media connectionmanager. Is there any other way to locate a folder? I am an 80 year old self taught computer user and I can't find the answer in any of my computer use books, but I need a pretty simple answer. It says it was last modified 2/2/2009 and I have not had problem doing anything so it doesn't seem to be creating a problem. I hope you can understand this.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Oct, 2009 11:55
Last edited on 2nd Oct, 2009 11:58
The path to the insecurity is important.

If U have not already done so install PSI & use it in the advanced mode.
U will get a friendly warning from secunia about advanced users - ignore it. The advanced mode is easy to use.

Once U have it installed it do a complete rescan.
The insecurity will show up. By the insecurity will be a + sign. Click that - it will expose the path to the insecurity which will look something like C:\Windows .........

It is this bit I need to know - I suspect the insecurity is on a drive other than C hence U cannot find it.

Whoops - I note U have PSI installed - look to the top right of the page and click advanced - the word will go black & simple will turn blue - then rescan.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Oct, 2009 12:47
I just did another search and it still indicates in folder c:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10b.ocx. Doesn't that mean that is should be on drive c? I will wait for an answer before I go to the advanced. Thank you
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Oct, 2009 13:32
Then it is on the C drive. Just right click on that file & del;ete it.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Oct, 2009 13:36
Last edited on 2nd Oct, 2009 15:07
I did go to the advanced and it came up with 7 insecure programs and 5 end of life and to follow the advice given on the Insecure and End-of Life tabs. I'm insecure myself. Are these easy to use and should I set a restore point before trying it?
Insecure: 1. Adobe Flash Player 10.x (ActivX Control)When I Left clicked on the + it recommends updating which I did months ago. It points to path c:WINDOWS etc. which I mentioned before
2. Adobe (plugin) path same as above, but after Flash is \NPSWF32.dll
3. Avast (I will check the internet and contact Avast
4-7 All of my Microsoft Office 2003 programs

End of life: 2 PC-Doctor for Windows 4.x
2 Sun Jave JRE 1.4.x these 2 are the only ones with a threat rating
1 WinDVD Gold 5 (which I have never seen with anything)

I have automatic updates for both Microsoft and Windows
When I go to my add/remove I find that the plug-in is from 10.0.22.87, my old version, and there is an option to remove it from there. Is it o.k. to do that?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Oct, 2009 17:11
Pleased U are using advanced. All the issues can now be fixed. First Adobe Flash.
Just follow this script & it will clear it all up.

To remove all versions of Flash from the C drive of your PC:

1. Download & use the flash Uninstaller from here:

#####Before actually running the uninstaller it is a good idea to close all browsers,PSI and any other programme U think may be using Flash #####

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

2. Reboot to clear out any left over ocx files.

3. Rescan using PSI - if there are any insecure Flash elements left what is the path to them? U should not proceed to stage 4 until all U clear any problems found.(The PSI overview page may look a little odd because it uses Flash for the pictorials)

Note: At this stage,if PSI finds any elements of Flash in the C:\i386 folder or on any drive other than C that is an OEM reinstallation partition (normally D drive) or a drive U use solely to backup your work U can safely create an ignore rule.

4. Reinstall the latest Internet Explorer Flash Player from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/

4A.If U are also using Firefox, Opera and other Gecko-based browsers U need this link as well:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_fire...

5. Go to add/remove & double check Adobe have not installed the useless Adobe Download Manager - if U see an entry remove it.

Once this is done we can do JAVA.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Oct, 2009 18:51
Last edited on 2nd Oct, 2009 18:57
I am hung up with the install. There are 2 URLs, one says adobe older versions and toward the bottom it says to copy the following code to link etc. I don't know where I want to go.

SORRY I FOUND IT
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Oct, 2009 19:06
Last edited on 2nd Oct, 2009 19:12
I'm in business with Adobe and totally impressed with both your program and the help and patience you have given me.
I have one question, my sister has the same problem with Adobe. She uses Vista and I use XP. Would these instructions also work for her?
I just went to my Secunia PSI and when I clicked on advanced it comes up and says install flash for internet explorer. Do I just click on that and install it or do I have another problem?
Thank you
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Oct, 2009 21:42
The solution works on Vista as well.

Have U downloaded Flash for IE from the link I gave U? It should be showing in add/remove.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Oct, 2009 22:19
Last edited on 2nd Oct, 2009 22:33
Yes I clicked on the download in 4.
10.032.18 is in add/remove now and I ran another PSI scan and OSI and neither showed Adobe as insecure, but when I went to view the PSI it told me to install flash.
I ran the thorough OSI and it shows Adobe as above.

I clicked on the download in the upper right corner of the screen that came up and selected run.

When I checked add/remove after uninstalling there was nothing there.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 2nd Oct, 2009 23:04
U have lost me slightly.

Have U got Flash in add/remove now?

After a rescan using PSI advanced are there any Flash insecurities?

What have U uninstalled (last sentance)?

Is PSI still asking U to install Flash? If so try a reboot & see what happens.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 00:20
Sorry, running out of steam, the remark about the uninstall referred to the first step you had me do. It's hard to keep things in order when I can't see the comment after I select reply.
THE REBOOT WORKED and all is well with Adobe Flash. We can tackle the Java at another time and in the meantime I will contact Avast to see what they have to say about their issue. Do you want me to pick up this same thread for the Java? I have to go out of town tomorrow and I'm not sure how this works to get back to you.
Thank you so Much
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Oct, 2009 00:30
Brilliant. We are both retired so no great hurry. Here is the solution for JAVA to complete in your own time. Let me know the result & we will proceed to Microsoft Office 2003.

JAVA SOLUTION.
JAVA have recently included an Uninstaller as part of the install process.

It works very well but ONLY removes the previous version.

To ensure U have no previous dross from very old versions on your PC & to make updating easier for the future I would recommend:

1.Install or double check U have the latest JAVA version (Currently Version 6 Update 15)from here:
http://www.java.com/en/

Once the update is complete go to Control Panel>JAVA icon>Update Tab and take the tick out of box marked "Check for updates auto ....." (This will prevent a an unnecessary file from starting each time U switch on your PC - PSI is already doing this job for U)

2. Now remove all the old dross from older versions.

The tool will remove all old versions, any useless files from previous installs except for the version U have just installed

http://raproducts.org/

*This link takes U to the site - select the Windows Binary (zip) option.
*This will lead U to Sourceforge.net to download it.
*Save the download to desktop.
*Activate the desktop zip icon which exposes the JAVARA EXE file. Click it
*Select RUN when asked.
*Select your language.
*The tool will now appear on the desktop - select REMOVE OLDER VERSIONS
*Once complete select ADDITIONAL TASKS - tick all boxes & activate.

* Right click on the desktop JAVARA zip file & delete it.

3.Future Updating Of JAVA.

Now U have cleared the dross future updating is easy. All U will need to do is:

Go to Start>Control Panel>click on the JAVA icon>select the Update tab>click the Update Now button.

Once the update is complete go to Control Panel>JAVA icon>Update Tab and take the tick out of box marked "Check for updates auto ....." (This will prevent a an unnecessary file from starting each time U switch on your PC - PSI is already doing this job for U)

If U prefer not to have the JAVA icon in the System Tray when in use, open the Advanced Tab>look for Miscellaneous>click the + sign & then remove the tick from clearly marked box. U will also note there is an option for JQS - this service uses around 2MB of memory & I advise U keep it active. JAVA works perfectly without it but allegedly starts slower.

By using this recommended method the previous version will be automatically uninstalled & U are guaranteed to get the correct version for your OS.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 01:05
Last edited on 3rd Oct, 2009 01:23
When I checked for my version they say there is a new version update 16.
I have update 15. How do I save a download to the desktop?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Oct, 2009 10:18
If the link I gave U now promotes update 16 install it.

Saving to desktop.

When U download any programme a box pops up with 2 options. Open or Save.

Click the save button. It will now ask where to save it to. Click the link and U will see options on the left (Desktop/My Documents etc) - just click desktop & the box will auto fill.

From what U are saying it looks like U always select open. This is not good practise for a NEW installation & certainly not traditional. For what it is worth I always follow the traditional method - particularly important if a NEW "freebie" is being installed:
1. Download & save to desktop.
2. Right click the desktop downloaded file & select Scan with Anti Virus.
3. Do the same procedure & select your anti malware programme.
4. If infected right click & dump the file.
5. If OK,open & install.
6. Reboot
7. Right click the desktop downloaded file & delete it.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 14:13
Last edited on 3rd Oct, 2009 14:25
Thank you, I always save attachments and pictures and scan the attachments and last night I realized that the options probably included the desktop, but really appreciate the additional information.
As long as we're in that area, I use Avast and Ad-Ware. Should I be using anything else. I do not do banking or shopping from the internet and basically use my computer for keeping in touch with friends and family and a lot of writing using Excel and Word and I guess I feel my computer wouldn't be of use to anyone else, but I do a lot of research on the internet for my writing.
I will pass your save info on to my sister. I talked to her last night about our efforts with Adobe so you will probably be hearing from her too. I hate her Vista! It takes me twice as long to help her. I can't figure out why they change so much terminology and methodology when they go to a new OS.
Enough, I will be in touch after I work out the Java. THANKS
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: insecure 10.0.22.87 10b.ocx
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 17:14
I don't agree with downloading things to the Desktop as it leads to an awfuly cluttered Desktop.

Make a Download folder for this purpose by using Windows Explorer (Windows key+E) then open Local Disk C: then right click in a blank area then select New then Folder then name it Download.
This way all downloads are in an area that can be scanned with the anti virus or anti malware application.

I recommend Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM) as an addition to your anti virus application then update it then run a Quick scan and let it remove all it finds:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

I do this daily and I have not used Ad-Aware in ages as it has not kept up with the latest infections on the Internet.

By the way I did not care for Vista but Windows 7 is much better.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 18:12
I have an folder in My Documents marked 'downloads to scan', would that work and the procedure be the same? I save most things, particularly attachments on email, to My Pictures because they are so easy to find and always come up in the bottom left corner.
Thanks for the advice on Malware.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Oct, 2009 18:43
That folder will be OK & would do the same thing.

@YoKenny

Not sure how my method could possibily clutter the desktop. Point 7 of my post is to right click & delete the download/install file once a reboot proves a successful install.

Although everyone should have their own methods,storing downloads in folders which quickly go out of date is a big no no in my book.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 19:44
I think he got that from one of my comments which sounded like that's where I did most of my saves. I like the idea of working from the desktop for what you recommend though.
My sister went to this thread and took care of her Adobe and we both updated our Avast, so Java, pc-doctor and office 2003 are what I have now after a scan an hour ago. Thanks!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 22:13
Last edited on 3rd Oct, 2009 22:14
I'm working on Java.I am at the Sourceforge.net website which said download will start shortly. Problems wih the download? Use this direct link or try another mirror. It does not seem to be going anywhere. Should I click on the direct link choice?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 3rd Oct, 2009 22:24
Try this:

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 3rd Oct, 2009 22:31
I am following the instructions you gave me at 00:30 and should have mentioned that the first time. I have printed them off to double check as I go along. I am now at the same point as my prior mail and it is still the same screen. Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Oct, 2009 00:59
If no joy try the DIRECT LINK - I have just tried it & it downloads.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Oct, 2009 01:14
Last edited on 4th Oct, 2009 01:30
I now have the zip file called phonerap.zip among my desktop icons, do I click on it to activate.
My book says to right click on the zipped file and chose 'extract all', is this correct?
You're instructions say the file will be JAVARA EXE Will I see that when I extract it?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Oct, 2009 09:19
Last edited on 4th Oct, 2009 09:20
This link which I gave U:

takes U to the RA page. It has 4 programmes on it.
1. JAVARA is the top one which U require.
2. The other 3 PHONERA,PURERA or PASTLCONS FLUSHER are not required to clean up your problem.
At the bottom of the JAVARA element U will see this

Java and Java Runtime Environment (JRE) are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other countries.

More Information

Download Windows Binary (.zip file)

Click this link. It opens SourgeForce. If the download does not start as promised click DIRECt LINK which does work.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Oct, 2009 11:06
This time the folder is javara.rip, which sounds more like what I want. I did the same thing before, but don't know what happened. Does activate in your prior instructions mean the extract option?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Oct, 2009 11:27
U can extract but just try to double click on the downloaded file - it should exposed an EXE file. Clicking on the EXE file will activate the programme & U can then continue to follow the script.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Oct, 2009 12:01
Last edited on 4th Oct, 2009 12:03
It said that it could no find javara.def and to be sure defention file resides in the same directory javara.exe is in. I don't know for sure what directory means, but I did a search on both def and exe and they are in the same folder and when I look up directory in my book it says folder.
Just now I did a search for all javara. and there are no duplicates, does that mean those are probably all for the new installation and there was no old one?
Then I got a message that javara has encountered a problem and needs to close and I replied ok.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Oct, 2009 12:29
Last edited on 4th Oct, 2009 12:30
Ok - U seem to be having problems with JAVARA. No big deal there is another way.

Any references to JAVARA on your desktop or download folder can be deleted by a right click & select delete.

Go to Start>Control Panel>Add/remove.

You can safely remove any programmes that U see starting with
1. JSE
2. JRE
3. JDK
4. JAVA(TM) EXCEPT JAVA(TM)6 Update 16

Rescan using PSI - has that cleared it?

As a point of interest do U use a programme called CCLEANER?

I will recheck this thread on my return in approx 2 hours.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Oct, 2009 14:28
I found 1 JSE and 1 Java (TM) and deleted them. There is also a Sun
Java JRE 1.4.2_03 which I did not delete. I wasn't sure if it must start with JRE or could be somewhere else in the name.

I then rebooted and ran the PSI which shows Sun Java JRE 1.4.x (could this be the one which I did not delete indicated above?)

End of Life programs:
2 PC-Doctor for Windows 4.x (1. C:program Files\PC_Doctor for Windows\Services\EventsPublisherServer.exe) and (2. C:\Program Files\PC_Doctor for Windows\Services\PCDrCMD.exe)
1 Sun Java JRE 1.4.x threat rating 4
WinDVD Gold 5

Insecure:
Excel 2003 threat 4
Outlook 2003 threat 4
Powerpoint 2003 threat 5
Word 2003 threat 4

No, I do not use CCLEANER, actually I have never used any of that type program.
Thanks again

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Oct, 2009 15:30
Last edited on 4th Oct, 2009 15:30
All these can be safely removed using add/remove.

They are end of life therefore no longer supported in any form by the vendor.

Once U have uninstalled them all reboot.

Rescan with PSI - only Office 2003 should now be a problem which we can fix next.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Oct, 2009 16:06
I was able to remove the 2 PC and WinDVD, but when I try to remove the Sun Java I get a message that it can't find the path and I click o.k. and it comes up saying installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.
Another line said it is on a network resource that is unavailable.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Oct, 2009 16:20
It has lost its installer. No problem.

Download this tool:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80...

U can safely select RUN for this programme.
Once installed go to Start>All programs>look for & then click on WINDOWS INSTALL CLEAN UP

Once the programme is open scroll up & down & U will see the offending JAVA JRE file - HIGHLIGHT it - click the remove button (bottom right)

Close the programme - rescan with PSI

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Oct, 2009 16:46
A message came up above my desktop tray about changes to the system and I thought I saw Java before it disappeared. I ran another scan and it was gone. I then rebooted and went to add/remove and it still shows there. Do you still want me to go to the procedure in your last reply, starting at the very beginning?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Oct, 2009 16:58
All U should have in add/remove is JAVA(TM)6 update 16.

If there are any more try to remove them via add/remove.

If this fails revert to my post & use the Windopws clean up tool.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Oct, 2009 17:42
WHEW!!!!!!!!! If there were a pub across the street I'd be there celebrating. All is well. I think I should start another thread with the Office issue, don't you?THANK YOU!!!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Oct, 2009 17:55
Why? Let us finish the job then U know U are safe.

To help me please go to Control Panel>add/remove - take the tick out of the box marked SHOW UPDATES (top right)

Scroll down & I would like to know what programmes U have installed that have the words MICROSOFT OFFICE in then.

I am also interested to know if there are any viewers installed like Microsoft Word Viewer.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Oct, 2009 18:08
I found 2
Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
Microsoft Office XP web components

No Microsoft viewer or any other viewer

I did notice in reading the installations that Windows Installer Clean Up is in there. Should I leave it?

You mention CCLEANER before. Did you get my reply on that?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Oct, 2009 18:13
Last edited on 4th Oct, 2009 18:14
Got your reply about CCleaner. No problem.
Windows Clean Up is harmless - I would leave it installed.

I hope this one is easy!

Go to:
http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6...

Click on the CUSTOM button & let it scan. I suspect U have not got all the updates on.

Install any High Priority updates found.

What optional files are shown as outstanding?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Oct, 2009 20:27
Last edited on 4th Oct, 2009 20:37
sorry, I just had company. I clicked on the site in your last entry and it told me to install something for that site, I think it was permission to install activex.(getting loopy) I then selected custom and I got 3 programs for Office 2003 which I ran and installed. I didn't see any optional ones at the time and when I tried to go back to that site I got a message: 403 Forbidden access denied You do not have permission to view this drectory or page using the credentials you suppliedd

Then I went to the microsoft update in my program list from start and there are 13 high priority updates. 1 security for Office Web components, 7 for Office 2003, 1 security for Excel, 1 security for Word, 1 security for Powerpoint, 1 update for Miscrosoft suite 2005 (have no idea what that is)and 1 one other update for outlook. With the exception of 'suite 2005' they are all for Office 2003. Do you want the full details for all of them, including the KB #?
I haven't run any of them until I hear from you.

I have my updates set on automatic and can't figure out why they didn't run.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Oct, 2009 21:11
As I said, U must install all High Priority updates. They have been checked by Microsoft & are required to fully update your system.

Rescan using the custom button. Install all the updates U find.

Reboot

Go back to Microsoft Update & scan again to double check the updates U have installed have not created more updates that U will require.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Oct, 2009 22:41
The first time I ran the custom only 3 high priority jobs showed up.
This time there were none and I ran a Secunia PSI and it is now 100%
It does indicate 1 browser and when I clicked on that there are 3 insecure with no solution entries: the Internet Explorer 8.x/Adobe Reader 8.x and Real Player 11.x so there is nothing more to do.
I did check the optional updates and there are 14 of them: 8 software-6 hardware
Software:
KB931125-KB973874-(KB951847) x86-KB8909520-KB940157-Office Live Add-in 1.4-KB974331 and Windows Live Essentials
Hardware:
Hewlett-Packard-printing-HP Photosmart C4200 (DOT4USB)
Hewlett-Packard-Imaging-HP Scanjet 3970
HP-Display-HP w1907 Wide LCD Monitor
LSE-Network-LSI PCI Soft Modem
VIA-Network-VA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
S3 Graphics, Inc. - Video-VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Oct, 2009 22:55
Unless U use Windows live U do not require those updates.

Hardware. All those pieces of equipment or programmes are installed on your PC. Unless any of them are causing U grief I would not install them.

I know about IE7 & 8 having an unpatched minor security issue.

Not aware of Adobe. Adobe 8 is old. Are U refering to the free Adobe Reader?

Do not use Real Player - does secunia say there is an insecurity & no patch is available?

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 4th Oct, 2009 23:12
all 3 of those software and hardware say: 'insecure-no solution' available and the Adobe reader (it is reader) and internet explore have a category 2 rating and Real Player has category 4. Real Player is rarely used when email attachments open it. I prefer media player.

I so appreciate all of your time this weekend and will no longer rely on the computer to keep me up to date on updates. The last automatic one ran on Sept 19 even though when I went there manually it showed the automatic was on. Thank you again, and have a wonderful what's left of this weekend.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 4th Oct, 2009 23:19
U can fix the Adobe Reader. Here is my bog standard answer to Adode Reader problems. Pick out the bits U want.

Adobe Reader.
When Adobe free PDF Reader is downloaded it also installs the following programmes:

Adobe.com
Adobe Air (It has a Flash element)
A Google Toolbar if U do not opt out at the download stage.

These additional elements are not required to make Adobe Reader work therefore if U do not use or know what they do go to Control Panel>add/remove & uninstall them.

If U only use Adobe Reader to read web pages or email attachments U do not have to use Adobe Reader either. The Adobe Reader link splattered all over the web saying "To read this article U require Adobe Reader" is utter nonsense. U really require a suitable PDF reader.

Under these circumstance there are far faster, smaller by download size (Adobe is 35.7MB - Foxit 5.04MB) & more secure free alternatives.

The most popular is Foxit - details here:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/
If U do decide to use Foxit Reader I would strongly advise U use the CUSTOM install. Using this method gives U the opportunity to prevent the following additional "bits" being installed:

Desktop Shortcut
Quick Launch
Firefox Plug In
Ask.com
Shortcut to Ebay.
Carefully read each step & untick items U do not want. Once U have finished go to add/remove & uninstall Foxit Toolbar if U prefer not to have it.

More readers are available here:
http://pdfreaders.org/

U may also find another programme in add/remove called Adobe Download Manager. The vendor is NOS systems. It is not required to successfully download any Adobe product & can be safely removed.

If your choice is still to use Adobe Reader U should refer to this update site:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp...
This site gives the latest downloads & explains the rather odd way Adobe conduct their update business.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.