Forum Thread: Secunia shows insecure program version that is not the current on...

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
bobbysyrett Secunia shows insecure program version that is not the current one installed
Member 4th Oct, 2009 23:12
Ranking: 0
User Since: 22nd Jul, 2009
System Score: N/A
Secunia detects Adobe Reader 9.0.159 as an insecure program but Help > About shows version is 9.1.3 is the current version as does Vista > Programs and Features. Program Files shows 9.0.159 but I cannot delete it. Is it safe to leave it as it is?

Path (from shortcut) Program Files\Adobe\Reader\Reader 9.0\AcroRd32.exe
Tried deleting using Programs and Features > Uninstall then downloading and installing 9.1.1 followed by the patch on Secunia - No success so repeated with 9.1.2 - No success so went back to 9.1.3 - No success. Each time I ran a fresh Secunia scan. I have a program called Perfect Uninstaller which uninstalls then scans for left over bits! Is it OK to try this?

Bob

Slamgeden RE: Secunia shows insecure program version that is not the current one installed
Member 5th Oct, 2009 09:23
Score: 0
User Since: 17th Jul 2009
If you search the forum, you'll find several threads solving your issues. This is a Frequently Asked Question, and you would have found the answer if you searched around a bit.

--
Assorted Fnords.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia shows insecure program version that is not the current one installed
Handling Contributor 5th Oct, 2009 10:01
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bobbysyrett RE: Secunia shows insecure program version that is not the current one installed
Member 5th Oct, 2009 18:14
User Since: 22nd Jul 2009
Thanks for the reply. I did as always carry out a search with numerous hits but none solved the problem. I must lack the ability to choose the right keywords. If you can point me to one of the answers I would be pleased.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
bobbysyrett RE: Secunia shows insecure program version that is not the current one installed
Member 5th Oct, 2009 18:21
Thanks for the reply. I located the path as directed which is the same as the one in my posting. As I said I could not delete it, message said not allowed. (I am the administrator and also a super user). Now you have the path can you advise me?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Maurice Joyce RE: Secunia shows insecure program version that is not the current one installed
Handling Contributor 5th Oct, 2009 18:27
Bob,
as far as I can see U have not posted the path as requested.

U have given Program Files\Adobe\Reader\Reader 9.0\AcroRd32.exe

What drive is that path? If U follow my post it tells U how to give the full details.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Oct, 2009 18:40
Apologies - I rush too much. Herewith copied and pasted path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 5th Oct, 2009 18:59
Ok - it is clearly on your main drive.

Use this tool to remove it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Once Windows Clean Up is installed open the programme & scroll up & down to find what U want to delete. Highlight each item in turn & click the remove button (bottom right)

Rescan with PSI & it should clear it.

Below is my bog standard reply which cures most Reader problems that U may wish to read.

Adobe Reader.
When Adobe free PDF Reader is downloaded it also installs the following programmes:

Adobe.com
Adobe Air (It has a Flash element)
A Google Toolbar if U do not opt out at the download stage.

These additional elements are not required to make Adobe Reader work therefore if U do not use or know what they do go to Control Panel>add/remove & uninstall them.

If U only use Adobe Reader to read web pages or email attachments U do not have to use Adobe Reader either. The Adobe Reader link splattered all over the web saying "To read this article U require Adobe Reader" is utter nonsense. U really require a suitable PDF reader.

Under these circumstance there are far faster, smaller by download size (Adobe is 35.7MB - Foxit 5.04MB) & more secure free alternatives.

The most popular is Foxit - details here:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/
If U do decide to use Foxit Reader I would strongly advise U use the CUSTOM install. Using this method gives U the opportunity to prevent the following additional "bits" being installed:

Desktop Shortcut
Quick Launch
Firefox Plug In
Ask.com
Shortcut to Ebay.

More readers are available here:
http://pdfreaders.org/

U may also find another programme in add/remove called Adobe Download Manager. The vendor is NOS systems. It is not required to successfully download any Adobe product & can be safely removed.

If your choice is still to use Adobe Reader U should refer to this update site:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp...
This site gives the latest downloads & explains the rather odd way Adobe conduct their update business.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 6th Oct, 2009 19:14
Maurice

The problem is now solved. I did not use the Windows Cleanup Utility but am pleased you brought my attention to it it could be very useful for the inevitable future problem. I will also investigate the alternative PDF readers. I uninstalled Adobe Reader with Perfect Uninstaller (already on my computer)then downloaded and installed the latest version of Adobe Reader. Both Control Panel > Programs and Features > Uninstall and Adobe's own uninstall removed the program but not the rogue file which was removed by Perfect Uninstaller.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.