Forum Thread: windows xp service pack 2

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Tone1 windows xp service pack 2
Member 15th Oct, 2009 00:10
Ranking: 0
User Since: 11th Dec, 2008
System Score: N/A
Today I ran the scan with psi.
It shows that xp service pack 2 is insecure, but no file path or anything other than that listed.
I run windows update, nothing comes up except xp service pack 3 to install.
I don't want to install that update unless I have to secure xp by installing it.
Does anyone know anymore about this subject and why xp service pack 2 is insecure.

Thanks a million for any help!

Ton

This user no longer exists RE: windows xp service pack 2
Member 15th Oct, 2009 03:48
Last edited on 15th Oct, 2009 03:49 Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been available for over a year and contains several Critical Security updates plus performance improvements.

You need to start Internet Explorer then go to Tools then Windows Update and download all of the available updates.

Also you should enable Automatic Updates or at least be notified that Updates are available.

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates then select Automatic (recommended) or at least Notify me but don't automatically download or install them.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
puget1 RE: windows xp service pack 2
Member 16th Oct, 2009 22:31
Score:
User Since: 21st Dec 2007
Last edited on 16th Oct, 2009 22:36
Extented support for XP
on 25th Mar, 2009 17:20, genegold99 wrote:
What MS calls "Extended Support" for XP, which I presume is some kind of purchased contractual support, lasts until 2014. "Mainstream support," which is what I imagine is available to the rest of us, ends next month, April 14.

Not necessary to presume or imagine. You can click on the link "Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy FAQ".

Patching will continue through 08-Apr-2014, and security patches will continue to be free.

After 14-Apr-2009, you will need to pay for non-security patches. There will also be no more free incident support, no more warranty claims, and no more changes to design and features.

So,YOKENNY please advise as this was in a forum and I have sorta been going by it when talking with others. Do you think it is worth a new threat and if so would you take the lead or just leave it as F.Y.I. in this thread. Is the info in this correct or false? Big Thanks

--
Windows 10 64bit

There is No magic bullet in computing; only work a rounds.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Oct, 2009 00:30
puget1, are you using XP or Vista?

You need to go to Secunia Profile then My settings then Signature to update what system and applications you are using.

Tone1, ignore puget1 as they know not of what they speak.

Its your choice to use XP in its vulnerable state through 08-Apr-2014 and beyond but be aware of XP SP2 system vulnerablilities and lack of performance improvements.

Its like leaving your house with a sign outside.

I have no security so please don't break in.

But then if you have a pirated XP then you deserve to be taken advantage of:
http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/default.aspx

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Oct, 2009 02:42
Score:
Sorry--Windows Vista "Home Basic"
Service Pack 1
MSXML 4.0 SP 2
Mozilla Firefox 3.5 +
AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core Processor4000+2.10GHz
2GB Ram 32 bit OS
Avast,WindowsDefender,Ad-Aware,A2,IO-Bit 360Security

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Oct, 2009 04:51
Last edited on 17th Oct, 2009 04:54
on 17th Oct, 2009 02:42, puget1 wrote:
Sorry--Windows Vista "Home Basic"
Service Pack 1
MSXML 4.0 SP 2
Mozilla Firefox 3.5 +
AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core Processor4000+2.10GHz
2GB Ram 32 bit OS
Avast,WindowsDefender,Ad-Aware,A2,IO-Bit 360Security

So when are you going to put that in your signature?

Vista SP2 has been available since June 30, 2009:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd26214...

IOBit 360Security and Ad-Aware are worthless IMHO.

1GB RAM will help as well and it is real inexpensive right now.

Windows 7 will be available in 6 days and it makes Vista much faster and I have been using it since the RC became available due to the many raves about it.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Oct, 2009 16:06
Score:
Last edited on 18th Oct, 2009 16:18
@ YOKENNY

Wow, that is some system, do you do a lot of gaming? Seriously thinking about Windows 7 and then again in the interest of security -Linux. Browser defender looks interesting,how is it different from WOT,&FINIJAN. Was disappointed in MBAM only caught one infection in 8 months while the ones I have now are always catching something. You may have a problem with winpatrol. When doing this last barrage of updates from Microsoft and other app's I found that winpatrol wasn't keeping up and was still keeping the outdated app's which with Secunia is a no no. Just to clarify- my original question was to find out about whether Microsoft is still actually supporting XP and it appears that it is.

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Oct, 2009 16:59
One question at a time.

I do not use the computer to game as it is my newspaper for research, education-learning, emails, the constant contact with my friends and daughter, also because there're many websites through which one can read the latest malware threats and avoidence hints.

I tried Linux but its a cute toy and takes a lot of time to learn with not many Windows apps that I use that work on it.

Browser Defender is different from WOT as WOT is rated by people that have subjective views that sometimes are not based on facts.
Finjan does not work on Windows 7.

Its good that MBAM did not find anything and the others find useless things like cookies and the free versions are just promotions for you to purchase the full version.

I have never had a problem with WinPatrol and are you using the latest version v17.0.2010.0?
http://www.winpatrol.com/compare.html

Microsoft will support XP but there will not be any Service Packs only emergency fixes like the 13 they just released.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 18th Oct, 2009 17:57
Score:
Thanks for the info. Will re-evaluate

--
Windows 10 64bit

Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.