Forum Thread: No Tray Icon as non-admin user?

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
mkonietzka No Tray Icon as non-admin user?
Member 16th Dec, 2009 13:22
Ranking: 0
User Since: 7th Dec, 2009
System Score: N/A
Hello
I am using Secunia PSI 1.5.0.1 on Windows XP (german).
Configuration is

[ ] Only show simple updates

[X] Start at boot time
[X] Check programm status

A)
Everything works fine as admin-user. There is tray icon which I can hover to see the updates to install. Fine.

But when I am logged in as normal , non-admin user, I dont have a tray icon. Is this wrong? Because most of the time I am not admin-user so I will not receive notifies about needed updates. Is this a configuration issue, a bug or a feature?

B) How can I change the intervall of full system scan?
It is 7 days, but I would like to change it to 1day for example.

Best regards
Michael

This user no longer exists RE: No Tray Icon as non-admin user?
Member 16th Dec, 2009 13:48
Last edited on 16th Dec, 2009 13:48 A) You can only see the PSI icon when run as Administrator because you can only change applications when you are logged in as Administrator.

B) Full system scan is 7 days by design. Look at the Overview graph.

Go to Secunia Profile then select Show my Secunia System Score to other users in My settings and Select your timezone to get all timestamps in your local time.and Let other users know where you are from Country City
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mkonietzka RE: No Tray Icon as non-admin user?
Member 16th Dec, 2009 14:19
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Dec 2009
A) Of course I only change the apps as admin, but I want to be notified as non-admin, "please change to admin-mode, update your software immediately because of Adobe x.x.x, Firefox x.x.x". Maybe I am not logged in as admin for a week, so I will not receive security update information for a week?

B) Ok, so it is 'hardwired'

I updated my settings to show my country, city and timezone but I have no option to show my Secunia System Score whether in PSI nor in forum settings. (It is 100%)

Best regards and thanks
Michael
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mkonietzka RE: No Tray Icon as non-admin user?
Member 16th Dec, 2009 15:08
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Dec 2009
The mozilla fixed a bug when "Unprivileged users are not notified of security updates"

See
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=40787...

And I'd highly appreciated it to see as a bug or bad design of PSI either, when the unprivileged user is not notified about security updates, because it is common scenario that a user is working unprivileged for many days/week when he as no admin-work to to on his desktop pc. As a result the pc is not updated for days/weeks. Anti-Virus software is working in the background of unpriviled users without problems to inform the user about signature updates etc.
PSI should handle this scenario also.
Force the user to log in as privileged user every day is no good idea:
*) It will lead the user to work as privilleged for checking emails, twitter etc. -> security issue
*) The user will not login as admin for serveral days, because it is annoying to manually login as admin every day/every hour just to operate some scan/check operations, which can be done by the system in the background and inform the nonprivileged user about the results.

Best regards

Michael
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 16th Dec, 2009 15:43
Hi

You can run the PSI on a limited user account if you run the program with admin rights.
Member 16th Dec, 2009 16:07
on 16th Dec, 2009 15:43, wrote:
Hi

You can run the PSI on a limited user account if you run the program with admin rights.

HOW TO: Use the RUN AS Command to Start a Program as an Administrator in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305780
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.