Forum Thread: Adobe Reader 9.2

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
All Threads

This thread has been marked as locked.
Nikilet Adobe Reader 9.2
Member 16th Dec, 2009 20:39
Ranking: 7
User Since: 15th Jul, 2008
System Score: N/A
This appears in both IE8 and Firefox as insecure with no solution and a category 5 threat.

I have read that Foxit Reader is a simple and good alternative to this program.

However, I just read in this forum somewhere that Foxit was showing up as a category 4 threat.

In addition, I have googled this and I don't know how I would install this Foxit for Firefox. I can find it for Windows. I think I would like to remove this Adobe Reader and go with Foxit but I can't seem to find any good answers about installing it on Firefox. Can someone help or direct me where to go?

Maurice Joyce RE: Adobe Reader 9.2
Handling Contributor 17th Dec, 2009 00:48
Score: 12325
User Since: 4th Jan 2009
Last edited on 17th Dec, 2009 01:16
IE8 & Firefox do not figure with Foxit. Foxit is a free PDF reader that replaces the Adobe Reader & can be used with either. Below is my standard Adobe post.

I have just run a scan and there is no Cat5 vulnerability with IE8 - there is a browser vulnerability we have discussed before. Cannot help with Firefox - do not use it.

Adobe Reader.
When Adobe free PDF Reader is downloaded it also installs the following programmes:

Adobe.com
Adobe Air (It has a Flash element)
A Google Toolbar if U do not opt out at the download stage.

These additional elements are not required to make Adobe Reader work therefore if U do not use or know what they do go to Control Panel>add/remove & uninstall them.

If U only use Adobe Reader to read web pages or email attachments U do not have to use Adobe Reader either. The Adobe Reader link splattered all over the web saying "To read this article U require Adobe Reader" is utter nonsense. U really require a suitable PDF reader.

Under these circumstance there are far faster, smaller by download size (Adobe is 35.7MB - Foxit 5.04MB) & more secure free alternatives.

The most popular is Foxit - details here:
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/
If U do decide to use Foxit Reader I would strongly advise U use the CUSTOM install. Using this method gives U the opportunity to prevent the following additional "bits" being installed:

Desktop Shortcut
Quick Launch
Firefox Plug In
Ask.com
Shortcut to Ebay.

More readers are available here:
http://pdfreaders.org/

U may also find another programme in add/remove called Adobe Download Manager. The vendor is NOS systems. It is not required to successfully download any Adobe product & can be safely removed.

If your choice is still to use Adobe Reader U should refer to this update site:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp...
This site gives the latest downloads & explains the rather odd way Adobe conduct their update business.

--
Maurice

Microsoft Surface 4 Intel i7 64Bit
Windows 10 Pro version 1809 Build 17763.404
16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Nikilet RE: Adobe Reader 9.2
Member 17th Dec, 2009 06:57
Score: 7
User Since: 15th Jul 2008
Am I understanding correctly that I do NOT want to install the Firefox plugin?

I started the installation and chose custom, but was given no option to de-select Ask.com or shortcut to eBay.

The first window said that setup would install Foxit Reader with Foxit Toolbar on my computer. It listed all the new features. When I got to the window to select installation type I selected Custom. I came to the page where it has Desktop Setttings and you can de-select the desktop icon, etc., and below that you can de-select the Firefox plugin, but when you click Next, then it's just ready to install.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Dec, 2009 07:33
Since posting I've been doing some googling on Foxit and the way it sounds to me it's about impossible to install this program without the Ask Toolbar. Many comments are not favorable. I believe one comment was that Foxit has become crapware.

I went to the link you gave for other PDF readers. I thought the PDF XChange Viewer sounded about the best of the free programs given in the link you provided. May I ask what you would suggest?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 17th Dec, 2009 10:27
I have installed Foxit on all local peoples PC's who have asked for a replacement.

If U follow my instructions U can avoid the "add ons". Failing that, the toolbar is standalone in add/remove & can be easily removed after the install.

I have not tested others so cannot comment.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Dec, 2009 12:02
I installed Foxit. The only thing I did differently from your instructions was to run the installer as administrator. I don't know if that was necessary but I read in a couple of different places that installing Foxit on Vista was a little bit different situation and it was suggested to run it as administrator.

I happened to have a pdf file on my desktop that I opened after installing, and then I opened a pdf from within Firefox and that went ok. I did have to uninstall the Ask toolbar in Firefox. Haven't actually checked Add/Remove programs yet to see if it's there.

Thanks for your help.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mostafaatteya RE: Adobe Reader 9.2
Member 9th Jan, 2010 01:29
Score: 0
User Since: 9th Jan 2010
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 01:32
on 17th Dec, 2009 00:48, Maurice Joyce wrote:
IE8 & Firefox do not figure with Foxit. Foxit is a free PDF reader that replaces the Adobe Reader & can be used with either. Below is my standard Adobe post.

I have just run a scan and there is no Cat5 vulnerability with IE8 - there is a browser vulnerability we have discussed before. Cannot help with Firefox - do not use it.

Adobe Reader.
When Adobe free PDF Reader is downloaded it also installs the following programmes:

Adobe.com

These additional elements are not required to make Adobe Reader work therefore if U do not use or know what they do go to Control Panel>add/remove & uninstall them.

If U only use Adobe Reader to read web pages or email attachments U do not have to use Adobe Reader either. The Adobe Reader link splattered all over the web saying "To read this article U require Adobe Reader" is utter nonsense. U really require a suitable PDF reader.

Under these circumstance there are far faster, smaller by download size (Adobe is 35.7MB - Foxit 5.04MB) & more secure free alternatives.

If U do decide to use Foxit Reader I would strongly advise U use the CUSTOM install. Using this method gives U the opportunity to prevent the following additional "bits" being installed:

Desktop Shortcut
Quick Launch
Firefox Plug In
Ask.com
Shortcut to Ebay.

U may also find another programme in add/remove called Adobe Download Manager. The vendor is NOS systems. It is not required to successfully download any Adobe product & can be safely removed.

This site gives the latest downloads & explains the rather odd way Adobe conduct their update business.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 01:30
Last edited on 9th Jan, 2010 01:31
on 17th Dec, 2009 00:48, Maurice Joyce wrote:

Adobe Reader.

Adobe.com

Desktop Shortcut
Quick Launch
Firefox Plug In
Ask.com
Shortcut to Ebay.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 9th Jan, 2010 01:30
on 16th Dec, 2009 20:39, Nikilet wrote:
This appears in both IE8 and Firefox as insecure with no solution and a category 5 threat.

I have read that Foxit Reader is a simple and good alternative to this program.

However, I just read in this forum somewhere that Foxit was showing up as a category 4 threat.

In addition, I have googled this and I don't know how I would install this Foxit for Firefox. I can find it for Windows. I think I would like to remove this Adobe Reader and go with Foxit but I can't seem to find any good answers about installing it on Firefox. Can someone help or direct me where to go?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Handling Contributor 9th Jan, 2010 01:55
@mostafaatteya

Why do U keep pressing the quote button & then say nothing?

U are filling our mail boxes with junk mail.

If U have a problem click reply & type in the details of what help U want.

--
Maurice

16 GB RAM
IE & Edge Only
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.