Forum Thread: PSI discovers program versions wrong

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Clawinus PSI discovers program versions wrong
Member 22nd Dec, 2009 15:28
Ranking: 0
User Since: 7th Aug, 2008
System Score: N/A
A PSI scan discovers 3 insecure programs on my PC, but I have more recent versions installed. Here are the details:
PSI tells me I have the following insecure programs:
Adobe Flash Player 10.0.32.18
GIMP 2.16.6.0
GnuCash 2.14.7.0

However, the Windows Control Panel "Add and Remove Programs" says that I have installed:

Adobe Flash Player 10.0.42.34
GIMP 2.6.8
GnuCash 2.2.9

Does anybody know the reason for the difference?

Windows XP SP3
PSI 1.5.0.0

This user no longer exists RE: PSI discovers program versions wrong
Member 22nd Dec, 2009 15:56
Hi,
If you hover your mouse over a program's entry, you can see the path to the file detected by the PSI. Please posts the path's to the relevant programs here. Also, please verify that there aren't more than one entry per program.

Did you try downloading and installing the solutions suggested by the PSI?

The PSI gets it's version numbers from the detected file (The one that appeared when you hovered over the program entry), and occasionally these aren't properly updated.

After you've tried installing the solutions, it would be a big step towards solving the issue if you could look around the folder that contains the file, and see if any of those files have version numbers that match what Add/Remove displays. You can access this information by right-clicking the file, selecting Properties, then Version. If either the File Version, Product Version, or other version field matches the expected value, please report back here.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Clawinus RE: PSI discovers program versions wrong
Member 29th Dec, 2009 14:42
Score: 0
User Since: 7th Aug 2008
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 29th Dec, 2009 14:44
Hi Mr. Petersen,

thanks for your reply. I apologize for not replying earlier.
I have subscribed to this thread in the hope that I would get an e-mail when a reply is posted but that did not happen. So after six days I checked the forum.
Even signed on as Administrator the link "download solution" in PSI gives me the reply that my security settings do not allow download.
Somewhere on my PC - maybe in the firewall - must be a rule that programs cannot download other programs. Therefore, I get updates from the websites of the individual programs.

Also in the case of one of the programs which PSI found insecure: Flash.
In the directory of this program Windows/system32/Macromed/Flash I found two version of the same from July 17 209 with the version 10.0.32.18 the other from Oct 27 2009 with the version 10.0.42.34.
So PSI is right: the insecure program does exist. Of course, I do not know which version is being used, probably the newer one as it shows up in the control panel.
I will now delete the old version and investigate the other two programs listed by PSI as insecure.

Many thanks; I consider this threat closed.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.