Forum Thread: Status of programs

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
blanenc Status of programs
Member 18th Jan, 2010 14:44
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Jan, 2010
System Score: N/A
Last edited on 18th Jan, 2010 14:49

Sometimes I've encountered a program which PSI markes as old or unsafe and I can't correct it.

This is the case now with the "Microsoft Office Power Point Viewer"

Where does the information of PSI come from?

The path where PSI found the program is the correct one.

It seems to me that the download link mentioned by PSI isn't correct because office download you have to search in the update function of Microsoft Office and not in Windows.

Well starting the windows update the message is: "Your system is up-to-date"

Starting the update function of microsoft office then all updates I find there create the message: "Your system doen't need this update"

Is there somebody who can explain me that

In this special case it could be that I should deinstall this viewer because I also have the powerpoint program itself

This user no longer exists RE: Status of programs
Member 18th Jan, 2010 15:10
Last edited on 18th Jan, 2010 15:10 Hi,
With the exception of the Secure Browsing tab, the PSI never tags software as insecure unless a solution exists. If the software is End-Of-Life (EOL) there is no solution, and the vendor has stopped supporting the software.

The PSI extracts information from certain files, files all located on your computer. Information about vulnerabilities etc. come from the Secunia Research team.

To see the Secunia advisory for a certain security alert, enter Advanced mode (By clicking "Advanced" in the top right corner), navigate to the "insecure" tab, click + next to the program entry, and click "Online References", then click the link labeled "Secunia Advisory".

The advisory will tell you all the specifics of the vulnerability (if that information publicized) and the specific solution to the problem.

After installing Microsoft Updates, you are often required to reboot to complete the installation. Please reboot and rescan.
Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.