Forum Thread: PSI not responding,cannot reinstall

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
davidb009 PSI not responding,cannot reinstall
Member 11th Feb, 2010 16:21
Ranking: 6
User Since: 11th Feb, 2010
System Score: N/A
PSI froze near conclusion of scan. Now shown as not responding. System now unusable, cannot uninstall to reinstall.

I have used PSI for some time and find it invaluable. Seek suggestions for uninstall method or does Secunia have removal tool?

--
davidb009

TexasGal RE: PSI not responding,cannot reinstall
Member 11th Feb, 2010 16:36
Score: 1
User Since: 11th Feb 2010
Same here. PSI cannot connect to the server and is unresponsive.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
SirRah RE: PSI not responding,cannot reinstall
Member 14th Feb, 2010 12:39
Score: 0
User Since: 12th Feb 2010
I have found that PSI has connection issues with slow connections. I recommend not having PSI fire up on start-up and only run PSI when you are wanting to use it on a regular basis. It's lack of connection stability now often requires 3 or 4 attempts before it can make a connection. I don't know if it is a server pipeline issue since it by default installs to run on start-up. If one wants to ensure they run it once a day, for example, typically I have it set to run in scheduler once a week, probably bad practice but the connectivity issue is problematic enough not to deal with the issue on a daily basis. The connectivity issue seems to be getting worse with the addition of the many people now using the tool.

Next time I have the issue I will try to see via tracert where the connection is broken however that will probably be difficult beyond the Secunia firewall.

SirRah

--
When we wrote the HTML charter on the ANSI SGML committee I had never heard of Al Gore who claimed to have invented the Internet. This gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling now that he is making claims of global warming being caused by man. When one considers Mount Penitubo eruption spewed more VOC's into the atmosphere in one week than man has created since the beginning of the industrial age, it makes one wonder about the voracity of the claim.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogsi RE: PSI not responding,cannot reinstall
Member 14th Feb, 2010 22:59
Score: 65
User Since: 11th Feb 2010
It's sometimes helpful to provide more information about your set-up. It's very convenient and saves you having to repeat it, if you include those details, like you see below, in signature box.
I've been using Secunia for a while now.....thought I had it fairly well sussed. As an example, just the other day, I switched from Chrome beta to dev, and at about the same time Secunia went down. As it happened, I don't think the incidents were related; but it did cause me to check my safe sites in IE8, and to look at the issue of certificate revocation. Having done that Secunia was up and running again.

--
Toshiba L300D AMD Athlon X2 Vista Home Premium 32bit OS SP2
Chrome 5.0.342.3 dev / IE8 1GB RAM+4GB Readyboost
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: PSI not responding,cannot reinstall
Member 15th Feb, 2010 09:43
Last edited on 15th Feb, 2010 13:00 Hi,

Please ensure http://*.secunia.com and https://*.secunia.com are in your trusted sites.
To do this, click Tools < Internet Options > Security > Trusted > Sites, press "Sites" and add the two sites.

The PSI should be removable via. Add/Remove. What prevents you from removing it in this manner?

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
davidb09 RE: PSI not responding,cannot reinstall
Member 15th Feb, 2010 15:15
User Since: 20th Apr 2008
In reply to Mr Pietersen, I cannot uninstall because I cannot close PSI. Control Panel uninstall will not operate on a running program - Catch 22!! Restarting my machine simply brings PSI back into operation. I tried to close psi.exe down via Windows Task Manager, but this does not seem to have the desired effect.
D BRIGHT
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Feb, 2010 09:27
Last edited on 16th Feb, 2010 09:30 Hi,
Closing down psi.exe should definitively end the PSI process running on your system. The PSI should not launch any other processes. It seems unlikely that the PSI should be causing the problem if it persists after closing down psi.exe

You can reboot windows into safe mode. This should prevent processes set to autorun from starting up when you boot.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/w...

For those having issues with connecting to our servers, please refer to my other post (two jumps "up" from this one)

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Yoshimit RE: PSI not responding,cannot reinstall
Member 2nd Mar, 2010 03:11
User Since: 27th Feb 2010
Hello Petersen.

And when your proposal do not resolve the problem with the "please wait 10 seconds ..." window?

As you guys can see, many people in the forum having the same problem.

Any more solutions that we can try?

Thank you.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
haslundo RE: PSI not responding,cannot reinstall
Member 2nd Mar, 2010 07:32
User Since: 19th Oct 2008
Last edited on 2nd Mar, 2010 07:33
My PSI scans continously. Every minute or so, I get a System status message telling me, that all programs are secure. I tried to make an uninstall to be able to install PSI again. I stopped the program. Worked ok. I uninstalled via controlpanel. The program was removed.
Next time I started Windows, the annonying continous scanning started again.
As I tried to uninstall again. The program seemed to be uninstalled. It did not appear in the program list in add/remove programs.
What could I do?
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 2nd Mar, 2010 09:17
Hi,

A scan loop can sometimes be caused by an incorrectly set system clock. Please ensure your system clock is set to the correct time.

Did you follow my suggestions some posts back and add http & https://*.secunia.com to your trusted sites?

Also. please enable Active Scripting in Internet Explorer. This can be done from Tools > Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites. Then click "Custom level" and ensure that "Active Scripting" (near the bottom) is set to "enabled".

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.