Forum Thread: MPlayer detected as End-of-Life with CAT-4 threats

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
yarda MPlayer detected as End-of-Life with CAT-4 threats
Member 13th Feb, 2010 17:01
Ranking: 0
User Since: 13th Feb, 2010
System Score: N/A
I checked several SVN builds (notably revision 30521 from 06 Feb 2010) and all have been detected as MPlayer 0.x End-of-Life with threats, why?

mogsi RE: MPlayer detected as End-of-Life with CAT-4 threats
Member 13th Feb, 2010 20:18
Score: 65
User Since: 11th Feb 2010
on 13th Feb, 2010 17:01, yarda wrote:
I checked several SVN builds (notably revision 30521 from 06 Feb 2010) and all have been detected as MPlayer 0.x End-of-Life with threats, why?

Usually, programs become End of Life as the vendor has ceased to support the product.
Are you using Secunia psi with the Advanced interface? You would be able to obtain more information.

--
Toshiba L300D AMD Athlon X2 Vista Home Premium 32bit OS SP2
Chrome 5.0.342.3 dev / IE8 1GB RAM+4GB Readyboost
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Pibos RE: MPlayer detected as End-of-Life with CAT-4 threats
Member 14th Feb, 2010 17:33
Score: 0
User Since: 24th Jun 2009
Yes, same here and I decided to place it on the ignored items section since I need it for "Any Video Converter" to work.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
yarda RE: MPlayer detected as End-of-Life with CAT-4 threats
Member 15th Feb, 2010 11:58
User Since: 13th Feb 2010
Yes of course, I used Advanced Interface, it looks like as threat from 2007, but it is quite new MPlayer built from several days old SVN - so at least it is not version 0.x.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
mogsi RE: MPlayer detected as End-of-Life with CAT-4 threats
Member 15th Feb, 2010 23:33
Score: 65
User Since: 11th Feb 2010
In the Advanced mode; if you click on the+sign alongside the relevant entry, it will expand. You should be able to give the exact program and version you are referring to. You will also find the file path.
If Secunia is saying it's End of Life.....it's End of Life....that's been my experience. The choice is your's.....to live with the insecurity and ignore it or remove it and find a replacement perhaps? Other members may have more advice concerning. Regards

--
Toshiba L300D AMD Athlon X2 Vista Home Premium 32bit OS SP2
Chrome 5.0.342.3 dev / IE8 1GB RAM+4GB Readyboost
Was this reply relevant?
+0
David12846 RE: MPlayer detected as End-of-Life with CAT-4 threats
Member 16th Feb, 2010 03:27
Score: 4
User Since: 29th Apr 2008
I hate to say it.... but "Me too". I'm getting "End-of-Life" for MPlayer. It's incorporated in my MediaCoder application. I hope it isn't "End-of-Life".

Supposedly, according to a Blog on MediaCoderhq website, there was an "argument" between MediaCoder programmer and SourceForge that hosted the download. The date of the entry on the blog was December 19, 2009. I wonder if SourceFourge notified Secunia, and Secunia decided to call MPlayer an "End-of-Life" (MPlayer is part of MediaCoder).

I remove MediaCoder, then I re-installed it. Directly after the removal process, Secunia reported:

Removed Programs:
- MPlayer 0.x (End-of-Life)
- AviSynth 2.x (Patched)
- MediaCoder 0.x (Patched)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: MPlayer detected as End-of-Life with CAT-4 threats
Member 16th Feb, 2010 10:05
Last edited on 16th Feb, 2010 10:06 Hi,

mplayer 0.x is EOL. You should update to mplayer 1.x. Please refer to this advisory for more detail:
http://secunia.com/advisories/24336

As far as I can tell, the windows binaries are for mplayer 0.x - the latest i could obtain with a normal windows installer was 0.6.8. This is fetched from their download site: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html#binarie...

As far as I can tell from here ( http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/) there is a 1.x version available, though only in source form. Are anyone aware of an installer for 1.x?

Have anyone compiled a 1.x version, and if so, are you still having the problem?

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Feb, 2010 11:48
Are you really sure, that sherpyas several days old SVN build (http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php) is also affected?

When i will have some spare time I will try to build it myself directly from SVN. I still think, there is some problem with signature detection.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: MPlayer detected as End-of-Life with CAT-4 threats
Member 16th Feb, 2010 12:49
Last edited on 16th Feb, 2010 13:10 Hi,

I haven't been able to determine the version of the files you linked. They may very well be 1.x, but I need confirmation before I can adjust the detection rules.

Nothing from the mplayer 1.x branch should be marked as EOL.

There should be a mplayer 1.x somewhere, whether or not it's been compiled yet or not.\

If anyone has an installed mplayer 1.x, we would really appreciate a software suggestion on it (Please comment Attn: Emil), as there is a chance the file we've been detecting so far does not have updated version info (which causes problems from time to time).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Feb, 2010 14:01
I am not author of sherpya's build, but from their sources (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-win32/file...) it looks like same as advertised: MPlayer/MEncoder SVN rev 30521 - 2010-02-06 and also their binaries emit the same version info.

Maybe there is a problem with archaic resource version info FILEVERSION/PRODUCTVERSION in binaries as these got stuck at 0.0.9.0 for ages (also in original mplayer SVN).

I will try to build myself from latest mplayer SVN when possible to recheck.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
triggerhippyfr RE: MPlayer detected as End-of-Life with CAT-4 threats
Member 17th Feb, 2010 13:34
User Since: 17th Feb 2010
on 16th Feb, 2010 10:05, wrote:
Hi,

mplayer 0.x is EOL. You should update to mplayer 1.x. Please refer to this advisory for more detail:
http://secunia.com/advisories/24336

As far as I can tell, the windows binaries are for mplayer 0.x - the latest i could obtain with a normal windows installer was 0.6.8. This is fetched from their download site: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html#binarie...

As far as I can tell from here ( http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/) there is a 1.x version available, though only in source form. Are anyone aware of an installer for 1.x?

Have anyone compiled a 1.x version, and if so, are you still having the problem?

hello there and thx to all who contribute to the forum and to Secunia !!!

i have the same problem than many in here , MPlayer 0.x announced EOL !!!

my Mplayer Vesrion belongs to the last version of Super ( needed to reencode some flash videos downloaded on youtube etc ) , and it's path is " C:\Program Files\eRightSoft\SUPER\mencoder\mplayer.exe "

beeing there i tried to see what version of MPlayer it was , and it's a version 0.0.9.0 .

i followed the links you gave to find a version 1.x but same as you i only found a 0.6.8. version for Windows ( i still have Windows XP ) that i download but i didn't run it , thinking that the problem would be still the same ...

if someone finds the place to get the version 1.x , please share the link with us , or if u can find the solution to remove Mplayer for beeing eol it would be grantly appreciated .

thx in advance
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Feb, 2010 15:00
I still think, that sherpya's build is MPlayer 1.0, because the 1.0 tag in mplayer SVN has much lower revision number that the one in sherpya's sources and the build is only several days old. But no installer exists here, you must download for your architecture from http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php and manually copy in place.

As I wrote before, I will try to manually build from original SVN and compare, but for now I am overwhelmed with other more important tasks.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
reimar RE: MPlayer detected as End-of-Life with CAT-4 threats
Member 20th Feb, 2010 21:38
User Since: 20th Feb 2010
Last edited on 20th Feb, 2010 21:58
I am a MPlayer developer. Feel free to contact me via email (Reimar.Doeffinger <at> gmx.de) for further discussion if you want.
The latest "release" version of MPlayer is 1.0rc2 which is actually before 1.0, however those version numbers do not really mean anything.
Edit: In particular that means version 1.x does not exist yet.
I suspect you look for the FILEVERSION/PRODUCTVERSION numbers, which haven't been updated since ages.
We could try to arbitrarily increase these to help you, however it would be far more reliable if you could use the "FileVersion" or "ProductVersion" strings.
These take the form of e.g.
SVN-r30668-4.4.1
or
1.0rc2-4.4.1
The last part is the compiler version used, the other parts are the real version information.
The later variant is used for "released" versions, the former for development versions (which are strongly recommended).
For example the vulnerability "SA36041" is fixed in versions with string SVN-r29455-* or higher, it is not fixed in any of the currently released versions unless whoever compiled it applied the fix manually.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Feb, 2010 11:46
Sure, thank you for clarification. I thought about 1.0rc* in my previous post, but I expressed badly. The sherpya's SVN-r30521 still looks OK for me and at least it is not End-of-Life. Thus I guess the PSI signature detection engine is still wrong.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
reimar RE: MPlayer detected as End-of-Life with CAT-4 threats
Member 21st Feb, 2010 12:32
User Since: 20th Feb 2010
on 21st Feb, 2010 11:46, yarda wrote:
The sherpya's SVN-r30521 still looks OK for me and at least it is not End-of-Life.

Yes, definitely. He gives the build date as well, if that isn't more than a few months ago it should be fine (even though several hundred changes have been made since then, so if you have an issue you should always try a newer version).
Personally I would suggest considering anything before SVN-r30325 (from Jan. 16th 2010) as "bad", since that is the first version properly marked as supporting ASLR for improved security (all versions would have worked with ASLR, unfortunately Window requires applications to be explicitly marked as supporting it).
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Feb, 2010 12:34
yarda i'm i right if the version of mplayer which works with secunia psi on ur computer is found there : http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-win32/file...

and the one i'm thinking is the version : mplayer-mt-r30521.tar.bz2 8.9 MB from 2010-02-06 ???

if yes i will patch it to mine !!!

thx in advance mate !!! :)
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 21st Feb, 2010 13:20
on 21st Feb, 2010 12:34, triggerhippyfr wrote:
yarda i'm i right if the version of mplayer which works with secunia psi on ur computer is found there : http://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-win32/file...

and the one i'm thinking is the version : mplayer-mt-r30521.tar.bz2 8.9 MB from 2010-02-06 ???

if yes i will patch it to mine !!!

thx in advance mate !!! :)

It still doesn't work with Secunia PSI, but I think it should, that is why I started this thread. I think by updating to this version you will be out of risk.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Feb, 2010 12:46
Hi,

I've revised our rules for mplayer, and finally managed to get a detection for 1.x

The problem in this case is that mplayer has no normal version numbers, so quite a bit of trickery was required.

Please let me know if anyone is still having a 1.x instance detected as 0.x, by emailing support@secunia.com.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 22nd Feb, 2010 13:14
thx a million to You two yarda and Emil !!! no more EOL now !!!
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.