Forum Thread: Online Inspector no longer working

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
xolotl Online Inspector no longer working
Member 14th Feb, 2010 21:02
Ranking: -9
User Since: 13th Oct, 2009
System Score: N/A
Since a few days the applet won't load. The problem seems to be at Secunia's end since the Java console shows this stack trace:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.secunia.SoftwareInspector.SIApplet
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/c...

and indeed there is no such file. What the heck happened?

Thanks

--
System: Windows XP SP3, Opera 10 or Firefox 3.6

This user no longer exists RE: Online Inspector no longer working
Member 15th Feb, 2010 09:28
Hi,
We have been unable to reproduce this problem, and the OSI appears to be running fine.
Could I ask you to verify you have the latest Java 1.6.x installed? Could you try reinstalling java?

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
xolotl RE: Online Inspector no longer working
Member 15th Feb, 2010 13:16
Score: -9
User Since: 13th Oct 2009
I have Java 1.6.0_18 and it is the only Java on the system. I really don't think the problem is at my end since, like I said, if you click on the link I posted you get a Page Not Found 404 error. You haven't said why this file is missing at your end.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Feb, 2010 13:17
This is with Opera 10.10 on Windows XP, by the way.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Feb, 2010 13:41
Last edited on 15th Feb, 2010 13:42 No problem on Windows 7 nor XP
(unknown source)
Detection Statistics:
4 Applications Detected in Total
0 Insecure Versions Detected
4 Patched Versions Detected

Running For:
0 Minutes, 11 Seconds

Errors with the scan:
0 Errors Detected, scan result should be correct

Status / Currently Processing:
Detection completed successfully

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Feb, 2010 14:18
Hi,

I've tested it again, with the exact same version of Java and Opera you said you have. I have to maintain that the problem appears to be on your end, since it still runs without a glitch from here.

The URL you mention is part of the applet you fetch when running the OSI. It's not meant to exists as a file, in the way you seek to link to it, so the "404" for this file isn/t really something you should worry about.

Could you try flushing your browsers cache, stored files, etc?

You could also try clearing the Java cache. You can find instructions to do that @ http://www.java.com/en/download/help/plugin_cache....

Hope this helps.

Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Feb, 2010 15:06
I don't think that how the applet is downloaded is germane to the issue: an URL is an URL; if it supposed to be at that location and to be readable by the public, then it should be there and a browser should find it, too.

On the other hand, clearing the Java cache solved the problem but it is not smooth operation that the user should have to do this manually. Would versioning your applet circumvent this problem?

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Feb, 2010 15:26
Hi,
This isn't an issue we've encountered before. There really is no reason to change our software, as it was likely just a corrupt cache somewhere.
Glad me got you back up N' running though. Enjoy!

PS:
If you like the OSI, you might enjoy the PSI, our free solution for home users. It detects most (pretty much all) Microsoft and third party software. It's downloadable from my signature.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Feb, 2010 16:35
I tried PSI before but I couldn't a setting to make it work quickly like the online version and I don't like having programs scanning the whole drive and stressing the hardware for no purpose.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 15th Feb, 2010 18:59
Last edited on 15th Feb, 2010 19:01 The OSI version scans the hard drive just as much as PSI does I believe and PSI keeps the statistics for a week so that a scan is not needed as much.

If you go to My Profile then in Edit my profile then in Community Profile select the nearest town you are comfortable with in Timezone and also Country that you are in.

Also fill in Signature that you want appended to every thread or post you create with your system information so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 16th Feb, 2010 09:22
Last edited on 16th Feb, 2010 09:29 Hi,

The OSI, by default, only scans certain selected folders. Enabling "throughout scan" makes it behave more like the PSI, since it will then scan the entire harddrive.
A normal OSI scan will be quick, but less throughout, whereas the full scan takes longer but will detect software in non-standard locations.

The PSI always scans your entire hard drive. It also detects much more software than the OSI, so I assure you the extra scan time is not without a point. Naturally, feel free to continue using the OSI if you wish to do so.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 17th Feb, 2010 06:57
PSI allows you to list folders that should not be searched but given that programs are typically located in only a few folders it would be more practical the other way round, i.e., if we could select folders which should be searched.

--
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.