Forum Thread: Impact between Thunderbird 3 attachments and PSI

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
MPfister Impact between Thunderbird 3 attachments and PSI
Member 3rd Mar, 2010 13:27
Ranking: 0
User Since: 3rd Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
Hi

After more than two months of great problems with attachment handling in new Thunderbird 3, I found out that the origin of the problem was Secunia PSI working in the background i.e. system tray.

General problem with attachments was, that whenever doing something with big mails i.e. normally with big attachments (1 MB, 2 MB oder more), CPU consumption arose to 100%. This occured when moving a mail from a folder to another, when creating new or forwarding existing mails, and when sending mails, all containing big attachments. Thunderbird is then normally completely blocked for some time until mail is moved, opened to create/forward or sent. Depending on the size of the attachment this may endure several minutes. In this time CPU consumption is staying at 100%. Thunderbird giving higher prioritty as normal could accelerate working process, but made the system as a whole a bit unstable.

First I thought of being a bug in Thunderbird 3. Accidentally I disabled some days ago PSI, and Thunderbird 3 worked as before with Thunderbird 2.

Do you have any idea what impact between PSI working in the system tray and Thunderbird 3? With Thunderbird 2 I hadn't these problems. For now I cannot start PSI automatically when booting my Windows system.

Further informations: I'm using a Windows system, XP SP3.

Kind regards
Marcel

This user no longer exists RE: Impact between Thunderbird 3 attachments and PSI
Secunia Official 4th Mar, 2010 10:31
Hi

I've tried to reproduce the problem with limited success

Moving many (and large) emails containing attachments does in fact cause the CPU to hit 100% during the operation.

Closing the PSI had no effect on the CPU use or operation time.

I could not get Thunderbird to hang, get unresponsive or crash.

I'd like to do some more testing, but before that, could you tell me some more about your setup?

I'd like to know how many emails you have (more or less) and how much data, (i moved around 200MB).

Let me know if there is anything else you can think of relevant.

You can either post your reply here or at support@secunia.com
MPfister RE: Impact between Thunderbird 3 attachments and PSI
Member 4th Mar, 2010 21:53
Score: 0
User Since: 3rd Mar 2010
Hi

The mails to be received are about 3, 4 or maximum 9 MB of size. It was already sufficient to handle one such mail e.g. moving it to another folder.

With Secunia PSI working (I have installed the free version) the status bar at the bottom of Thunderbird appears and counts up the green symbols until having copied the whole mail. The same is before sending a mail when Thunderbird gathers informations for the mail, during the sending process Thunderbird is available, but at the end of the sending process, it is again blocked, I suppose by copying the mail into the Sent folder. Instead of deleting (which copies the mail from folder to deleted folder) I often deleted mails by erasing it with shift+delete, this worked very fast in few seconds. A further problem is also that the automatic saving process (with me all 5 minutes) during creation or edit of a new mail with the big attachment already imported into the mail. It seems to be the same copy process as while copying a mail from a folder to another.

I supposed that it must have to do something with the file handling because all these problems occur only with big attachments i.e. they occur with every mail but the size of the mail becoming bigger with big attachments the waiting time arises. Some functions described above block TB3 completely, some processes let me work e.g. in main window, but of course also there fairly slow in reaction.

As you can see on the following two links it as a general problem with TB3 and I do not suppose all these users having PSI working on their machines. Perhaps on their machines are other programs working with similar functionality as PSI.

http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topic...

http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/topic...

First thought was of course impact of the virus scan program, in my case it is McAfee AntiVirus. I disabled mail scanning, but no improvement. So in my case only PSI stopping or not changes behaviour of TB3.

I already thought about it what could further have impact on the behaviour, but it is fairly difficult. So apart from McAfee Security Center I have the following processes in the system tray:
SyncBackSE, NDAS Device Management, Prevx, AVG LinkScanner, Virtual CD, Nokia PC Suite (inactive), NVIDIA Setup, Webshots (Wallpaper/Screensaver), RoboForm, GoodSync, PrintKey, MyPen, IconSaver, Mouse, CrystalDiskInfo

I don't know the way PSI works. I supposed it looks permanently for new files and compares them with the own database of known applications. Therefore it could conflict with the file management of TB3. But with TB2 PSI worked without any problem, so I suppose there might in any case be a bug in TB3 due to changed handling of attachments and mails. This also because I don't suppose all people announcing their problems (see links) have PSI, so TB3 might conflict with any of these system tray applications doing something with or observing the file system.

How could I help you further?

Kind regards
Marcel
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 5th Mar, 2010 12:12
Hi again

Could you try to disable the feature "Program Monitoring" in the PSI?

In the Advanced Interface, go to the "Settings" tab and untick the Checkbox for "Program Monitoring"

Let me know how Thunderbirds performance is with the PSI running but with no "Program Monitoring"
Member 5th Mar, 2010 22:16
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2010 22:18
-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2010 22:17
Last edited on 5th Mar, 2010 22:24
-
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Member 5th Mar, 2010 22:17
Hi again

I have tried it, and it is just this feature that blocks the activity of TB3!

What did I do?

First I eliminated as many processes as possible not to manipulate the test.

I started PSI manually, because it was no more in automatic startup procedure.

Then I started copying a mail an archive folder to inbox. Mail size is about 9 MB.

The process started as it was when PSI was always working: TB3 consuming as much as possible of the CPU, copying process very, very slow.

PSI window was still in background. I activated it an disactivated the option, hard disk was working intensive for some time, and when finally disabled, the mail was copied immediately from the archive folder to inbox.

I made the test a second time vice versa with the same mail - same behaviour. So there is no doubt that the program monitoring feature has impact on file copy of TB3. Even the scan of PSI working in the background scanning the whole system because it was not active for some time now did NOT have impact on the mail copy process, because I did not stop the scan process of PSI. It is in fact only program monitoring feature having impact on mail copy with attachments.

So I will be able to start up PSI automatically when booting my machine, but disabling the program monitoring feature.

Can I try something else for you? If desired and if you have a debugging version or something else, you can send it directly to me and I will try it and send you back the results.

Thank you very much for your support! Have a nice day.

Kind regards
Marcel
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Secunia Official 8th Mar, 2010 15:20
Last edited on 8th Mar, 2010 15:23 Hi

Actually we would like to get a logfile from you.

Could you enable the "Program Monitoring" again for the sake of this test?
Once enabled, exit the PSI completely by rightclicking the PSI icon in the tray and chose "Exit".

Next, open the command prompt and type: cd "c:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI" (and press enter)
(Please note that this is the default installation path for the PSI on a 32bit Windows, you might need to change it to fit your system)

Next type psi.exe --verbose --debug secunia.txt.

This should open the PSI and create a logfile in the PSI installation folder, called secunia.txt.

While the PSI is running in debug mode, try to move some emails in Thunderbird.

Finally, email the secunia.txt file to support@secunia.com (with comment so we know its about this issue)

Thank you!

Member 8th Mar, 2010 23:45
Good evening Mr. Hansen

Due to your instructions I started PSI via DOS console with debug parameters.

First I moved a mail from one folder to another and during movement I disactivated the option.

Then I activated the monitoring option again and moved the mail again, but I let the monitoring option stable on activated until the end of movement. I did the same with monitoring option activated twice again with the same mail.

I just sent the mail with the log file attached and zipped.

Unfortunately it seems to me that there are no special log informations from which there could be gathered more informations about the origin of the conflict between PSI and TB3. If you have more instructions what I could do for you, please let me know, I'll help you, no problem.

Kind regards
Marcel
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.