Forum Thread: XP Home Edition W/SP 3 and IE-8

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as locked.
Available User XP Home Edition W/SP 3 and IE-8
Member 4th Mar, 2010 20:47
Ranking: 0
User Since: 4th Mar, 2010
System Score: N/A
Secunia is indicating a Threat 4 level risk, and I can't get rid of it.
I have clicked on "Solutions" and all I get is the MS update screen I have downloaded and installed every update, but the risk indication will not go away.
What can I do to eliminate this indicator? I have also re-scanned the program. after making all updates.

This user no longer exists RE: XP Home Edition W/SP 3 and IE-8
Member 5th Mar, 2010 08:58
Hi,

Some Microsoft updates require you to patch over several rounds, or require reboots before "kicking in". Please reboot your machine, check windows update again, and if no new patches were found, rescan.

Hope this helps.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
gsmart RE: XP Home Edition W/SP 3 and IE-8
Member 6th Mar, 2010 05:42
Score: 7
User Since: 30th May 2009
If I am correct XP is not compatible with IE8

That is one of the reasons I am now using W7 & IE8

Keith
Was this reply relevant?
+0
RLM RE: XP Home Edition W/SP 3 and IE-8
Member 6th Mar, 2010 19:15
Score: 0
User Since: 19th Aug 2008
Keith: The problem resolved itself after I re-booted about 3 times, and the system shows as 100% secure, So Emil's instructions worked.

I have had IE-8 installed on this XP system for several weeks now, without problems. However, I do not normally use Internet Explorer as my primary browser. I use Firefox, so it's possible that is the reason I haven't encountered any problems with IE-8.

--
Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium
Was this reply relevant?
+0
RLM RE: XP Home Edition W/SP 3 and IE-8
Member 6th Mar, 2010 19:15
User Since: 19th Aug 2008
Keith: The problem resolved itself after I re-booted about 3 times, and the system shows as 100% secure, So Emil's instructions worked.

I have had IE-8 installed on this XP system for several weeks now, without problems. However, I do not normally use Internet Explorer as my primary browser. I use Firefox, so it's possible that is the reason I haven't encountered any problems with IE-8.

--
Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: XP Home Edition W/SP 3 and IE-8
Member 6th Mar, 2010 19:24
on 6th Mar, 2010 05:42, gsmart wrote:
If I am correct XP is not compatible with IE8

That is one of the reasons I am now using W7 & IE8

Keith

XP is compatable with IE8 but Win 7 is so much better than XP.
Was this reply relevant?
+0
Available User RE: XP Home Edition W/SP 3 and IE-8
Member 6th Mar, 2010 21:06
User Since: 4th Mar 2010
yoKenny, Currently I am running all three OS systems. XP Home Edition on a Notebook, VISTA on a Desktop, and Win 7 on a new laptop I like Win 7 also, but am maintaining each system in order to gain experience on each. I've had problems with Secunia PSI not clearing a threat even after it's been fixed on both
the Vista and XP systems, but have not yet encountered the same situation on the Win 7 system, since no threats have been detected on it...yet.
Was this reply relevant?
+0

This thread has been marked as locked.