Forum Thread: Patched programs continue to show as threats

You are currently viewing a forum thread in the Secunia Community Forum. Please note that opinions expressed here are not of Secunia but solely reflect those of the user who wrote it.

This thread was submitted in the following forum:
PSI

This thread has been marked as resolved.
mwcotter Patched programs continue to show as threats
Member 11th Mar, 2010 04:58
Ranking: 0
User Since: 15th Jul, 2009
System Score: N/A
I get PSI alerts about unpatched programs even though I've applied the solution, e.g., Firefox 3.5x, Thunderbird 3.x, Opera 10. I also get warnings about MS Movie Maker, and XP even though when I check MS Updates it indicates no critical or optional updates available. This has happened repeatedly over the past several weeks. In some cases I get alerts about earlier versions of programs like Firefox and Thunderbird even though I've upgraded to the most recent version.

Apparently the vulnerability is in my backup files kept in an external Seagate drive. I assume earlier versions might be in early backups. I use Acronis True Image Home to image both programs and files. The program adds new backups rather than eliminating older ones, which now go back to November.

I have never needed to access the backup and if I did, I would be unlikely to use a very old version. Is an older version of a program in a backup file really a vulnerability? Is the solution to delete some of the older backups even though space isn't a problem? Or should I just ignore the threat warnings.

Post "RE: Patched programs continue to show as threats" has been selected as an answer.
This user no longer exists RE: Patched programs continue to show as threats
Secunia Official 11th Mar, 2010 08:07
Hi

It should be safe to create an ignore rule for your external harddrive.
Mikhail66 RE: Patched programs continue to show as threats
Member 11th Mar, 2010 15:04
Score: 0
User Since: 11th Mar 2010
System Score: N/A
Thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't sure how to create a rule but went to the advanced interface mode where I found that option, but with little guidance as to how to name the rule and the rule itself. So I named it "F://" which is the external drive and called the rule "ignore." Do you think that will work or should I use a different "name" and "rule" identification?

Thanks
Was this reply relevant?
+0
This user no longer exists RE: Patched programs continue to show as threats
Secunia Official 11th Mar, 2010 15:38
It completely up to yourself what you want to name your ignore rule.
It could be "Backup" or something else.

The rule itself can be as short as:
F:

This will ignore the entire F: drive

This thread has been marked as locked.